Nutrient Lockout

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by sunndropper, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dear GrassCity users,
    Can you correct nutrient lockout or do you have to make a whole new batch of nutrient solution once it happens?

2. You have to do a flush and then a new nutrient batch. And the length of the flush depends on the type of hydro that you are using.

3. DO WHAT???? :confused:

Nutrient lockout is 99.9% of the time caused by an incorrect pH...
    Correct the pH and no more nutrient lockout... ;)

You really do not need to flush...
    Correct the pH in the reservoir, flood, after the flood readjust your pH again, and then keep an eye on the pH for the next day or two...

It's that simple... :smoke:

4. Adjust your ph to 6.7

5. ...that wouldn't be bad in soil...but hydro likes it more acidic, I shoot for 5.5

6. An you ASSUME he/she is using soil as opposed to hydro....
    So how can you say what pH he or she should be at if you do not know what medium they are using????

7. LOL, posted a :rolleyes: at the same time.... :D
    Also, 5.5 is at the bottom of the pH scale for hydro....

Depending on which nutrient you're using, you really want to be 5.6 to 5.8 (in hydro of course)...

8. Edit: just saw this is a hydro thread:rolleyes: :bongin: sry blades

9. LMFAO..... :p

Was not trying to bust your chops or disrespect you IN ANY WAY...
    If I did, I did not mean too, and I apologize...

:wave:

10. #10 percul8r615, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
    It's all good broheim , Im an organic soil guy, i had a dwc setup once. Lol

11. Well I TOTALLY respect what you organic guys/gals do!!!

I have a couple patients which want me to grow theirs in total (just water) organic, and after researching, I'm like you want me to bring what into my house.. :D

SHIT, REALLY??? LMFAO...
    I have a hard enough time keeping the dirt out of my house... ;)

So my hats off to ya broman... :wave:

12. #12 percul8r615, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks man, hydro is a Lil complicated for me I'm a naturalist. Lol Yea man it gets quite smelly during veg with the fish hydrosylate foliar spray :eek: i noticed you use GH, you should try their line of organics( General organics) it's for soil as well as hydro I believe

13. Sorry, he didn't specify what type of nutrient lockout that he was seeing. I just assumed it was due to excessive salt build up.

14. No, salt buildup will not cause lockout, only burn...
    Well I guess it could, but the lockout is caused by the pH, and the pH is most likely off by a salt buildup.... So really you could have been right in a round about way..

There is some elements which will cause a nutrient lockout, but VERY rare to see them introduce into a hydro system outside of contamination...

Also, even if you have salt buildup, you do not need to change the solution, just pour pH balanced water over the medium (for a flush), then readjust the ppm of your reservoir back within range, and then adjust your pH back within range... Done...

No need to waste good solution... ;)
    Again, not trying to bust your chops, just wanted to get accurate information to the person having the problem...

:wave:

Nope, I suggested that and they do not want that, they want ALL "just water" organic..
    They want no nutrient solutions used at ALL.... :mad:

So honestly, they may have to find a new caregiver...
    But I'll give it a try and see if it is do-able as far as time and hassle...

I know hydro, pour in some juice, set the pH, and walk away...
    No bringing shit, lime, and other freaky ass stuff into my house!! LMFAO :D

15. Again.. It depends on the type of hydro. I had a serious salt problem with DWC, and had to empty the solution and do a flush for 24 hours to get rid of the nutrient lockout. My PH was fine, but they were getting deficient in Magnesium even though I was giving them Cal-Mag.

Once I flushed the system, my plants snapped back.

And no offense taken.. I don't like giving out misinformation any more than you like to see it. I was just giving advise based on my experience. I've never really had any PH problems with the exception of when I ran Advanced Nutrients, but that is a whole other argument.

16. You had pH issues with AN???
    Thats unusual... But if you follow their mixing suggesting as opposed to what ppm they are shooting for, YEP, you'll kill your plants..

Great example:
    When I first used them, I used their nutrient calculator, so for 20gal they want 304mL of base and 152mL of VooDoo, and B-52...

Cool, I mixed it up, and come out to like 2,700ppm :eek::eek::eek:

Now I mix 150mL base, and 60mL of VooDoo and B-52, and get 1050ppm, with a pH of 5.8 every time...

17. #17 fyrhazzrd, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
    lol.. yes, it was my first grow. I did not have the PH perfect line (Sensi Bloom A&B Base). I did mix it at first at their recommended rate and it maxed out my EC Pen. So I ended up Diluting it by 3:1 to bring it down to a 2.0 EC. But that did not solve my PH problems. It would rise to well over 7.5 PH in under two hours. That grow was the last time that I used AN as a base nutrient. I haven't had any problems since.

Second Grow I used the Lucas formula and added Big Bud, B-51, Bud Candy, and Overdrive. Never had a PH issue with that.

Third Grow I used X Nutrients and only X Nutrients additives. I never had any PH issues with that either.

Edit: The grow I'm starting, I don't know what nutrient line I'm going to use. I thought about either Soul Synthetics or Cyco. I wouldn't mind running X Nutrients again, but I want to give another line a try.

18. pH issues have VERY LITTLE to do with the nutrient itself.....
    98% of the time it's an environmental issue.... ;)

Unless you're maxing out your ec/ppm...
    Meaning, when I ran GH, I would run 1200ppm, so I would get a daily climb of .02 -.04, as soon as I would bring the ppm back within range, I would get a .02 climb every 3-4 days....

When ever I'm diagnosing a pH issue, usually the first thing I will check is ec/ppm, then if within acceptable range, I start looking the the chamber's environment and again, 98% of the time, I find something out of whack....

Its strange, but VERY FEW hydro growers know that the plants are pH producing machines, if they are stressing over something, they WILL dramatically and rapidly affect pH levels...

So IMO, AN had nothing to do with your pH swing, and whatever it was, you corrected it within your second grow, and it got better on your third grow...

Best of luck with ALL you grows my friend!!

May your trees be tall and bountiful.. :wave:

19. Thanks man. I figured that, but to be honest nothing changed environmentally. All three grows were grown in the same tent. Under the same grow conditions.

I plan on giving AN another go, but I'm waiting until I can obtain the PH perfect line here locally. That could be a long while.. LOL

20. Please try something other than AN, maybe try Humboldt Nutrients:)