Nutrient deficiency or burn?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by gregoryor, Dec 21, 2016.

1. I'm growing a dwarf AF in an aerogarden with supplemental lighting. Growth has been good, but the leaves are getting brown, and I don't know why. I had a very small amount of Gen Hydro nutrient mix in there when it started, then I changed the water to fresh with no nutrients, and it got worse, so I added half the recommended amount for flowering, and it's getting worse. I can't tell the difference between nutrient deficiency and nutrient burn, but maybe it has nothing to do with nutes at all! This is my first grow, if it's not obvious! Any help would be appreciated.

2. A little disappointed that I got no replies, so in case it helps someone else, I'll post my own answer. The answer is too LITTLE nutrients, and old water. I changed out the water and added nutes, and the whole plant just went into super healthy overdrive. After that I went to changing out the water every week and adding nutes with the fresh water.

This is her 5 weeks later. Lots of green, frost-covered leaves, and she grew so tall, I had to remove the aerogarden hood completely and do some tying down to keep her from touching the lights.
    IMG_0307.JPG

3. Whatever your doing its working! How much water does that Aero- Garden hold? and what is the Temp of the water after it has been in there for a day or so?

4. I have one plant that is doing the exact thing. I thought mine was a potassium deficiency, but don't know for sure. Did you ever get your plant on the right track?

5. The aerogarden holds 3.5 quarts, and the water temp is always just room temp. I keep the tent open during the day, and my house is on the cool side (60-64º), so that's probably not optimal, but my plant seems to be doing fine.

6. Yes I did. See the "after" picture in my second post. I don't know whether it was replacing the water in the aerogarden or adding nutes to the fresh water that did the trick, so I am just continuing to do both. Replacing the water weekly, and adding the GH trio of nutes as recommended, each week.

7. No, it is still doing the same thing. I have a smaller plant now with an even worse condition. I have plenty that I can toss it out, but I want to know what is wrong with her so I prevent more damage in the future. I think I just need to flush it with several gallons of water, but do I use my regular water and then flush that with low ph water? Because it is currently kind of expensive buying ph down in my pet store. I have to use 70 drops in each gallon of water to get my ph down to 6.5. And the ph draining from my pot is even lower than that. I don't know how to fix this problem. I need to start flowering and am not sure if I want to even attempt to flower my sick plant.

I use happy frog soil, in 10 gal pots, so I don't know how much nutrients, and how often to use them I guess.

8. Here is what they look like. I even have a weird albino thing going on with one of my leaves

Attached Files:

9. The rest of my olants look great!

Attached Files: