Nutrient burn, pests, or light burn?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Skepsis, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Hi all,

My plant has been having issues with leaves yellowing and within a few days of that leaves crisping up and falling off. New growth looks nice and it seems to only be effecting lower leaves at this point....guess it could even be lack of nutes.

I am using a 4 bulb t5 to veg, distilled water with botanicare calmag and grow formula, and using roots organic soil. Humidity is 30% with a temp of 78-80F

Help?? It is only one of my two current plants. Other one looks beautiful [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It just looks like old growth die off to me. You judge the overall health of the plant by what the new growth looks like. Yours looks fine in these pics. As the plant grows, the older lower leaves will yellow and die off periodically. It's nothing to get upset about. The leaves will die and fall off. Quit giving your plant distilled water unless you want some funky nutritional deficiencies. There are actually valuable micronutrients in tap water that the plant needs and uses. Those who water with distilled water, typically end up getting funky things happen to their plant because it's missing those micronutrients. Tap water is fine to use on your plants. If you're in the US, you don't have to let it set out for 24 hours either. We stopped using chlorine in the US and now use chloramine. Chloramine does not evaporate nor is there enough of it in tap water to harm your plants. If you're in Europe, apparently this isn't the case and you might need to let your water set out for 24 hours to evaporate chlorine. But regardless, tap water is much better for your plants than distilled water. You do need to manage the pH of your water and feeds going into your plant. It needs to be in a range of 6.3 to 6.7 each time you water or you'll end up locking up the roots of your plants and the plants can't take in nutrition and will get sick. A good pH tester is something I recommend to all since using the strips and drops is difficult to get it to the exact range with and the cheap pH testers on Ebay aren't worth your money. To get a decent one, it's going to cost you around $60+...but a worthwhile investment as far as I'm concerned since pH is so important with these grows indoor. Just some things to think about. Good luck! TWW

3. I feel like your right for one of my plants. But one of the is getting the browning on the third from top set and all below that. I'm feeling it may be nutrient burn as I have been feeding daily. Probably way to much

4. So the whole US uses chloramine?

5. Even with the chloramine being OK where im at the water is so hard if you sit a glass for 5 minutes calcium will start building up. I would rather use distilled and get the correct nutrs in it.....or maybe buy a water softener