nutes from home depot or lowes?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chris24300, Dec 30, 2009.

1. has anyone used any nutes from home depot or lowes for soil grow? how were the results? I need nutes asap and hd and lowes are the closest options.

off topic, how much would it hurt to bring 5 plants under CFLs to HPS?

2. not sure what kind of nutes your looking for but they sell mostly chem ferts, think it depends on store location as to exact products stocked. They do sell MG organic blood/bone meal and think they also carry some Espoma products, some organic and some non.

3. my bad, i was a little vague. I'm switching 2 plants to 12/12 so I'm gonna add nutes soon. I'm looking for a recommendation of nutes. it is just much easier to pick up and these 2 plants are my first time test run so if all goes well i'll buy online

4. If you dont have access to the FoxFarm line of nutes, MG Bloom Booster worked really well on my first grow.. You can get it at either Home Depot, Lowes, or even Kroger..

5. not sure about where you live, but most lowes/HD's around my area wont have any type of plant food/soil/etc. for another month or 2 atleast..... Your best bet is to go online, or to a hydro store brah.

6. That's what I use! Works great! And is WAY less expensive than the Fox Farm nutes. $5 or so. And I got it at home depot in the gardening section.

7. Im with ya lostfedexman... I was amazed how well it did work with so many people knockin the stuff.. +rep fellow bloom booster..

8. I can also attest to the Bloombooster. I use it for a watering or two on every grow.

9. I'm using MG Bloombooster and it's working wonderfully. Just find something that is 15-30-15 and you should be good.

10. dont use that shit its garbage. 25 bucks more you can get DNF or advanced nutes there so much better and if you goin to grow should get good nutes that the key

11. I had spider mites once and went to lowes and the sales guy showed me to a whole organic section of products they had which included nutes and pest controll. I didnt check out the nutes but they had a great selection of organic products. This was in the summer though but they should have something in the winter months. I am saving my pennies for a three pack of fox farm nutes from HTG for $48. Not sure if thats the normal price but I use HTG for about everything because I receive everything in 2 or 3 days and they back everything they sell.

12. Do I understand you are ready to go to 12/12 and have not used any ferts yet?

I agree you would be much better off going to an organic or semi-organic fert like Advanced Nutrients or Fox Farm, but if you must do chemical ferts I've used Schultz Bloom Plus (10-54-10) with some success.

As for going from CFL to HPS, definitely a good upgrade, just start the light off at a bit of extra distance at first and lower an inch a day to let the plants acclimate to the stronger intensity. To test distance, hold the back of your hand under the light at plant-top height for about 30 seconds, if it's comfortable for you then it's OK for the plants.

13. Advanced Nutes...all of em!

14. Dude they have a Sensi and Connsieur pack from AN get that shit...those other foxfarms shit is weak man already been there...big bloom..tiger bloom...grow big is about the only useful one because it has worm castings..but compared to what the Sensi is doing in my veg stage it don't even compare to Foxfarms..AN growth is outta control..

15. Really!! I am kind of new to the nutes, my first couple of grows I just tried a few different things like Miracle Grow and didnt have much luck so I did most of my last grow with plain water. Then I started hearing about Fox Farms and super thrive but HTG are out of the super thrive the last I checked. I will check out your suggestion thanx!

16. Yeah advanced nutes are specifically made for mj. :hello: Thats y they kick ass:D

17. I would agree with everyone that suggested looking a bit further than HD or Lowes for fertilizers. Feed regular plant food to regular plants. Feed MJ plant food to MJ. Will you grow a plant using cheap ferts? Sure.

But it's like that commercial, would you put cheap gas in a Ferrari? The difference in yield and yield quality definitely more than compensates for the extra you're gonna pay for something like Advanced Nutrients. Do yourself a favor, and get some good nutes.

As far as going from CFL to HPS goes, that's no big deal. Just make sure you set them at the right height. Don't put them the same distance from the plants as you had the CFLs (unless you had your CFLs way, way too far from the tops.) Keep an eye on your temps and such the first few days, and watch out for some explosive growth.