Nutes for 5 Gallon DWC with air stone

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Thunder69n, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hi there, I know the topics are out there, my specifics are that I am going to grow in 5 gallon DWC with just air stone moving the water around in the bucket.

I am budget conscious and looking for somthing easy to introduce to my plants throughout there life cycle.
    Small space to grow in so not going for growing them as big as possible anyways 5 foot high space in total and have to fit buckets and 400 watt hps/mh light in there.
    I know to give them very little starting maybe a couple weeks in or when they show the need, and increase form there.
    I seen on amazon
    Amazon.com: General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro: Patio, Lawn & Garden

or
    Amazon.com: FoxFarm FX14050 Big Bloom, Grow Big & Tiger Bloom Liquid Fertilizer Nutrient Trio Hydro-Formula, 3/32-Ounce Bottles: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thank you for any advise and time.

2. If on a budget look into house and garden aqua flakes. I use it in my buckets and will never use anything else. Very affordable and easy to use.

3. I would go with General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro. Thats what my buddy has used and what I plan on using. I have seen nothing but good reviews with this stuff.

4. hey I am just curious what made you go with DWC hydro? why not Aero, or drip?

5. consider RDWC instead. also an air cooled hood. I use Advanced Nutrient with GREAT results. Also use reflective mylar to cover the entire grow space and closely monitor temps/humidity in this small space. Be prepared to move air to keep this room cool and filled with CO2. A 4 inch inline exhaust with carbon filter and adapters to go from 4"to 6" for the aircooled light :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. hes looking for ease of use for his first time. Aeros are more complicated and can clog. Not exactly user friendly. Drip is just a low end RDWC. Upgrade to 1/2" PVC like I did and its BOSS!!!! :D

7. Thunder, the GH 3-part Flora series is a great choice. The quart size starter pack might get you through a beginning grow with a bubble bucket. If you're on a really tight budget, look at GH's dry 2-part formulation, MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom. Use the money you'll save to get a decent pH & EC meter.
    I've heard great things about AN, but they are NOT budget friendly (nor is GH Flora, for that matter :mad:)

I would second ACE's motion for RDWC over conventional DWC buckets.
    With a small hydro pump ($30), a few extra tote containers from WalMart ($5 each), some miscellaneous grommets and 1/2" hose, you can make a kick-ass RDWC setup that continually circulates nutrients to multiple grow pods. Gives you lots of flexibility for adding plants, and even better, mostly eliminates some of the problems DWC's can have with root rot.
    One aquarium pump and airstone in the "central" reservoir will get you up & running (although a stone in each grow pod is better, it can wait till your next grow).
    There are some really good and detailed threads in the DIY forum section on how to build. Fun project & will reward you with a less trouble prone system.

Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya. Now go do it!!!

8. Im going to look into the RDWC. Im looking for the best hydro setup myself.

9. #9 CL4P-TP, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    Lucas Formula.

FTR I love my EnF systems but for new growers to hydro........RDWC is the boss.

10. Tobes, check this link:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/1112322-lets-build-ebb-gro-6-site-system.html

Really bad ass DIY for an ebb & flood system. It's kind of a hybrid between the ebb & flood trays that Wharf & I like, and a recirculating DWC. But this one doesn't circulate continuously like a RDWC; it floods the grow pods on a regularly scheduled basis. The ebb stages make even more oxygen to the roots, & results are pretty amazing.
    Also check out this one:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/600352-yodas-recirculating-bubble-buckets.html
    Pure RDWC, excellent system for a budget price.
    Both these growers kick ass as well, you can pick up a lot from their threads.

I won't be throwing out my ebb & flood tables, but then again, they're paid for:D And if I ever think of expanding, I'd probably build one of each of these!

Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya.