Nute burn or Light burn?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Atmo, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Can't really tell if this is nute burn or light burn.

Reasons it may be nute burn
    -I upped the nute dose last feeding. I started Humboldt Snow Storm Ultra (at half strength) - and upped FoxFarm Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom from 1/2 to 3/4 strength.
    -Temps haven't been above 86F

Reasons it might be light burn
    -It's located around the strongest area of the bulb (150w HPS)
    -Last feeding was about 1 week ago, so I figured the nute burn would show up before then.
    -The light has been pretty close, maybe 5", but again.. temps haven't been over 86F at the very top of the canopy.
    -Last feeding was a week ago, so maybe it burnt more as it dried out?

Some details
    -flowering with 150w HPS. It's at day 17 of flower.
    -Been using Fox Farm Trio nutes and just started Humboldt Snow Storm Ultra.
    -Ocean Forest soil
    -Northern Lights feminized
    -pH of water/nutes has been 6.3-6.5

Here is the best pic I have right now of the damage
    [​IMG]
    It's hard to tell where the yellow is due to the HPS light (sorry!) - but where the arrows are, there are crispy looking yellow spots. Not really gradual or anything, just blotches of yellow in the center of the leaves.

Here is a pic of some preflowers for your enjoyment
    [​IMG]

Other than that she's doing great, I'm just a bit worried about these yellow blotches... I feed her today so.. I'm trying to decide if I should just give her water, just the snow storm or all the nutes. I raised my light last night...

You can check out the grow journal in my sig for more details if needed..

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Ok, I'm leaning toward light burn because isn't nute burn primarily at the leaf tips? Just debating on what to feed her tonight, my original plan was to feed her 3/4 strength FoxFarm (or bump it up to full) and 1/2 to 3/4 strength Snow Storm Ultra.. but i don't know if I should just give her some water, or maybe really light nutes or what..
    hmmmmm...

3. def not nute burn..

4. yeah pretty sure it was light burn or light bleach. I have better pics of the yellowing now:
    [​IMG]

There was also some brown spots on a couple leaves (maybe like.. 5 leaves) that looked like this:
    [​IMG]

She's doing alright otherwise, though:
    [​IMG]

closer:
    [​IMG]

and some little buds :)
    [​IMG]

I didn't realize just how close my 150w HPS was, which I think was probably about 4" away from the top.. I moved it to 6.5-7" last night. I don't think it's anything horrible, and feel confident that she will recover nicely.

Also, I only fed her the snow storm ultra last night and held off on the fox farm nutes just in case. I will probably bump up to full strength nutes next feeding, unless something else goes wrong.. I just need to keep an eye on my light height I think!

5. idk man, is it only where the light is closest? or at newer growth?
    def. not N burn but might be some kind of deficiency peeking out

6. #6 Atmo, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
    Pretty much where the light is (was) closest. There were a couple brown spots, though, that maybe were from heat stress or something? Not sure.. hmm
    New growth, at least where the light isn't directly above, was fine. It's really mainly at the top center..

I'm definitely gonna keep a close eye on her in the coming days..

7. they could be shriveling from not enough light and the spots may be from nutes falling on the leaves and the hps burning it

8. You mean like nutes dripping on the leaves? Can't be that as I am super careful not to get any leaves wet during feeding. I have one of those watering cans with the long thin stem, usually only touches the soil, all that stuff is above the screen. And yeah, I was thinking about the few brown leaves not getting the light which might be it. They are towards the bottom of the screen and aren't getting much light anyhow. Things seem to be kicking back into high gear again. Lots of trichomes have formed over night last night and the buds started getting fat pretty quick since I raised my light. I'm gonna keep an eye on her but I think she's recovering fairly well.

Here is a quick shot of some bud sites :)
    [​IMG]