Nute Burn on Seedling

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jrgrows, Apr 24, 2009.

1. First off, I'm a total newbee and don't have the best resources, so please excuse me if I'm totally screwin everything up. :rolleyes:

I was hesitant to start growing and paying for seeds until I knew I was doing thing right, so.. I was out with friends and luckily had some drunk guy pass around some weed :). I noticed a ton of seeds in the bag and found myself alone in the room...lol. So.. noting the first rule of growing ;-), I snagged a couple (yeah.. only 2) and set myself up a little grow room to test, learn and work out my bugs before spending any money on seeds that I may end up just killing. At first I felt bad about snagging the seeds, but the guy hit on my girl and was a total jack ass, so now I don't feel so bad.

At first I wasn't even sure if the things would sprout, but finally they did and I had two little seedlings that seemed to be doing well.

The seedling that I'm writing in about is the slower of the two, actually took 4 days longer to germinate then the other, which is doing great!

My set up is as follows: (I know this isn't optimal, but I think should be ok for a start)
    1. each plant has 2 cfls 42 watt, lumen total of 5400 (I know not great). Lights are about 3 inches from plants. Lights are on 24/7 currently.
    2. Soil is "black gold" - My area doesn't seem to sell foxfarm, and that was the only brand recommended, so I didn't know what to use if I couldn't get any foxfarm. Probably could have order it online, but impatience won me over.
    3. PH is running between 6.6 - 6.8... one of those needle gauges.
    4. No nutes yet, just straight water. Not distilled.. so maybe my water had nutes in it?? We have very good water here and the PH of the water runs at 6ish - again.. that needle gauge can't see exactly the point number.
    5. some basic oscillating fans to provide some air.

Now here's the issue...
    I'm getting what looks like nute burn on the slower of the two plants, its been 8 days since I put the seed in the peat pellet, and this particular seed has been a bit of a tard. The thing didn't germinate as fast as the other one, and when it did, I picked up the pellet and the root was already out the bottom of the pellet about a half inch, which was weird, since I planted them both the same depth and at the same time. I transplanted the seedling to a big pot so I wouldn't need to do that again and have left it. It now seems to be getting spots on the main leaves that look like nute burn. The secondary leaves are coming in very crumpled and slightly deformed. I'm not sure if I can save it, but I'd like to :)

As I said, I am kinda using this effort as testing ground for future grows, but in truth, I'd like to save this plant if possible, so any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. you should not be feeding them anyhting but water when they are this young. wait to the cotyldelyon leaves start to yellow and dry before you add nutews, and then start at 1/4- 1/2 strenght and work up to full. hang in thee, sometimes the tard seed winds up outgrowing and outproducing befeore it is all said and done.

3. No... I haven't been feeding it any nutes? I was worried that I was getting what "looked" like nute burn on a seedling that hasn't received any nutes. Has this been known to happen? Should I change anything up to fix it? Am I just being parinoid?..lol

Thanks for the quick reply