Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Numbness And Tingling Persisting Days After Smoking

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by uncomfortablynumb1, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Hi there,
    I've created this thread in an attempt to collate as many reports as I can of numbness, pins and needles, electric tingly sensations and discomfort experienced for several days after smoking cannabis. This was prompted after SWIM experienced these strange symptoms for himself. Here I present seven cases of the phenomena I am describing. If you have had a similar experience, or you have a friend that has had a similar experience please post on this thread. I'm keen to raise awareness of what may be an under reported effect of cannabis in some individuals. If you have a background in pharmacology or medicine and you have an explanation for the symptoms these people are experiencing please feel free to contribute.

Now I understand that I cannot clearly establish cannabis as the causal factor from the online reports as there are many uncontrolled variables and thousands of cannabis reports online. I can't get around the fact that the reports I have chosen have been cherry picked to some extent. However, there does appear to be specific similarities between the case studies which indicate that perhaps further research is needed. The quality and duration of the experience is consistent between reports and all of the subjects believe that the cannabis is the precipitating factor, however I'm open to alternative suggestions.

Case 1
    (SWIM) In the past year I have had two experiences with cannabis that have resulted in an increased sensitivity to certain textures and the intensely uncomfortable feeling of electric tingling and numbness in my face, hands, back, legs and feet when in contact with certain materials. On the first occasion this occurred after smoking two hits of cannabis from a pipe, accompanied with laughing gas. These sensations lasted 4 days with gradual improvement each day.
    4 weeks after the first occasion the symptoms returned after one hit of cannabis from a pipe with no other substance taken. The paraesthesia was less uncomfortable this time and lasted 4 days.
    The sensation was most uncomfortable when lying face down on a pillow, putting my hands in my pockets, putting on clothing and rubbing the back of my hand against soft material. In contrast I had normal sensations when touching smooth surfaces like plastic, wood and stone.
    Prior to these experiences I was an infrequent smoker and had tried cannabis 10-15 times. I believe that I have a low tolerance for the drug as hallucinations, paranoia and extremely disordered thinking were common for me even at what most people would consider a low dose.

Case 2
    (http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/1019550-numbness-tingling-after-smoking.html)

I'm 20 and I've been smoking for a few years, but really only several times a year. So I expect that I'm still not used to it yet .About a year ago, I experience something funny. I was very drunk and I had just smoked, and I started feeling numbness and tingling in my hands/legs. Then, for some reason, I couldn't stop moving them. That sounds really weird so I won't go into detail. This persisted until at some point I fell asleep. Three months later I smoked a joint with my boyfriend in a parking lot. We shopped around in the store and all was fine until I had a panic attack. I decided we needed to leave the store, but when we left, the radio turned on, and the numbness/tingling/moving started again! I would force myself to stop moving them but as soon as my attention was directed elsewhere, it would start again. So at this point I decided I was fucking crazy. After about two hours the movement stopped but the numbness/tingling went on. Lasted until I woke up the next morning. Three times smoking since that, numbness/tingling recurred. It happens mostly in the arms and legs, but when it's the worst, it is all over my body. I can't stand feeling certain textures, and I can't stand being touched when it happens. Something like taking off a sweatshirt HURTS. It's like my skin is really numb, but there are waves of tingling. And being touched hurts. One night, before an exam, all of these symptoms happened again. And I had not smoked at all. So I was really weirded out... the movements only lasted one day, but the numbness and the tingling lasted for 6 days. I thought I was dying so I went to the ER, the doctor dismissed it as anxiety. This happened four more times (without the movements), three times it only lasted a week, but the last time it lasted for about two months. Now I feel like I have very slight permanent numbness. I've been seeing a neurologist and I've had an MRI (to rule out ms). Every doctor I talk has no idea what I'm talking about.

Case 3
    (http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/archive/index.php/t-78984.html)
    I've had quite a few strange experiences from smoking weed/hash that is very uncomfortable. It has happend from time to time the last 7 years or so. It's not a "whitey" (had those), and not a "panic attack" (I can feel percetly calm when it happens), it just fucks up my sensory percetion. I can smoke a very small amount, and feel good, and then suddenly "pop" and my hands and legs feel really numb, and buzzing in a cold strange way. And in this state, when i touch things i cant feel them properly, i just feel like an blurry, buzzy, electric current that is very strong and uncomfortable. It is so strong that im unable to for example put my hands in my pocket, unbutton/button my pants, open the fridge, give someone a hug, or even sit down in a sofa. The electrical sensation gets to intense so I start screaming. The symtoms is similar to some kind of "sensory neuropathy" or "peripheral neuropathy" wich is a proper disease that one can get diagnosed with, often caused by diabetes. But i dont have that. I think it's due to some peripheral nerve damage that i might have gotten from side effects of a medicine I once used that was neurotoxic. And cannabis seems to exaggerate the symtoms. I usually have a bit of numb hands and legs all the time, but much much less noticable, and my brain filters it out most of the time. It' has gone so far that I almost dont dare to smoke any more, cause I can get these symtoms from very small amounts. I mean like 1/20 of a normal dosage I once in a time used to use for a joint. I think it's mostly when smoking a strain very high on THC, early harvested, with less CBD and CBN it usually happens, but I dont know. I cant smoke "better quality street hash of maroccan kind" anymore, it seems to too easily fuck up ny nerves. What I can smoke is good grown weed that has "gone the distance" and makes me feel more relaxed / couch locked, in small amounts then.

Case 4
    (https://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=88)
    hello, i have always consumed cannabis and deriveds, but lately i have had to diminish the frequency of this marvellous habit because of the next problem of which no one seems to know anything and i have not been able to find any info to solve it. It has happened repeatedly for the past years but randomly. after smoking pot i feel the normal effects, but after a while it gets to a point in wich i start loosing sensibility in my hands, like if they were put to sleep. i feel a strange tingling, like pins and needles in my hands, that gets more intense when touching things. depending on what i touch the feeling gets stronger or softer (touching my skin or hair the sensation is very intense but touching plastic or glass it almost disappears). it is nothing pleasent. when i'm high all my attention goes to this problem almost obsessively. but the worst part is that this disagreeable sensation does not disappear with the marihuana effects, but it lasts even for several days, vanishing little by little.

Case 5
    (http://www.healthcaremagic.com/questions/Persistent-tingling-numbness-over-different-body-parts-post-smoking-weed-Cause-and-remedy/282135)
    please help me. :( three weeks ago, I smoked weed for the tenth or so time. I was super high. the highest I ve ever been. My vision was going in and out and I had no control over my hands at most points. they were tingly and moving without my control. my feet were tingly too. then my whole body got tingly. I felt like I was gonna throw up. I soon after fell asleep. then the day after that my high didnt wear it felt awful. my body was and still is just soo tingly all over. the high was gone two days later. but the tingly and tenseness of my hands is still there. my whole body tingles. like for example. i lay down in bed, when different parts of my body touches the bed i can t make out the feeling anymore. my body just tingles al over. its like overloaded my brain and my whole body gets this tingly numb sensation. i m really scared. :(( and today its still the same. and both of those nights i had the airconditioner on soo my body becomes more prone to that feeling . and sometimes when i feel an itch on my body and i try to scratch it, my hands and the spot i m trying to scratch suddenly becomes numb and tingly thus i can t really scratch the exact spot.i m really scared now, whats happening to me. is this permanent? will this wear off? pls help. . :(( i ll never smoke that stuff again.

Case 6
    (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Numbness-and-waves-of-tingling/show/1636656)
    Hi, I have this problem and I'm not sure if it is anxiety related. I have strange bouts of tingling/numbness accompanied with a strange problem feeling texture. It only bothers me really when I move or touch anything, including walking. Sometimes it is worse and sometimes it's not bad. It is mostly in my hands/arms/feet/face. When it's really strong I can describe it as waves of tingling. It can get quite painful/bothersome. This usually happens when I'm stressed. It used to only last a few hours but the last couple of incidents lasted for days. I just don't see how effects from an anxiety attack could last for days. One doctor I saw said it was anxiety and the other had nothing to say. Does anyone have any ideas? It may be helpful to note that the first few times this happened, it was after I smoked weed. Does anyone have any advice? This lasted 6 days. I can also describe it as having a numb sense of touch, like fabricy texture just feels awful. Sometimes I wake up in the night and it is happening again.

Case 7
    (http://www.rollitup.org/t/have-to-quit-tingling-in-arms-legs-etc.112206/)
    I seem to be having an adverse reaction to marijuana and was wondering if anyone here has ever had a similar experience or heard of it happening to someone else. I'm not a regular pot-smoker. A couple days ago, I smoked for the first time in about a year and half. I took three or four hits, then my arms and legs started to get a tingly, pins-and-needles kind of numb. I figured this would go away, but when I awoke in the morning, I was completely sober and my arms and legs were still numb and tingling. I had this same reaction after smoking marijuana the last three or four times I've smoked, which were over a year and a half ago. I never had the problem during the time I was not smoking or when I first began smoking pot when I was 16 (I'm 20 now). One time, in the past, the tingling sensation spread to nearly every part of my body and lasted over a week. The feelings became so intolerable that I went to the emergency room, but they basically told me to wait it out. It eventually went away. It's been almost three days since I last smoked pot and I still have tingling numbness ALL OVER. Even my forehead is tingly and numb. I originally thought I had a B12 deficiency, but I have recently come to believe that this is not the case. I've tried searching the internet for information about this type of reaction to marijuana, but haven't found much of anything.

2. What about the millions that have the same issues and have never smoked pot in their lives? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm aware that Paraesthesia is a common symptom with many causes (e.g vascular disease, metabolic conditions, vitamin deficiencies, arthritis, anxiety, drug side effects etc.) and so it could be coincidental that these symptoms are experienced by some after smoking pot. However there is a chance that it's not coincidental and cannabis plays a causal role in a minority of individuals. I'm not against weed and I know that the majority of people don't have any problems with it, it's just these reports are interesting and I'd like to find out if there are more out there.

As interesting as your 10 or so reports might be, there are millions of other reports out there that have absolutely nothing to do with marijuana...I myself have this issue, but it isn't related to weed, it is related to fucked up blood flow.

I'm all for figurin' out problems but this seems like a gigantic waste of time already, and don't we have enough time wasted on useless pursuits in the name of weed as it is? :cool:

There may well be millions of reports that are nothing to do with marijuana, all caused by things other than marijuana. But is it not possible that out of the small percentage that are to do with marijuana, some of them are caused by marijuana? It may well be a waste of time, but I've made the thread now so all I have to do is watch and wait and see if anyone replies. Threads don't disappear so maybe a few months down the line someone will type into google  "numbness / electric tingling / paraesthesia / in hands, face, back, legs for days after smoking cannabis" find this thread and be reassured that they're not the only one out there. Or perhaps these reports I have posted (there are many more out there, I just chose the ones with the most information and background provided) really do have nothing to do with cannabis in which case I've wasted about 3 hours of my life, but unfortunately my time and effort isn't that precious so I don't really mind.

6. Sooo, as with any drug or food or drink....  If consuming them results in a bad or strange reaction..   First stop consuming that item or strain.   Second determine if it was the item or some other sorce that caused the reaction.  Maybe research wether other meds you are using could react with THC.  Maybe see a doctor, make sure there is not something else going on.  IF you do see a doctor TELL them about the after smoking reation.  Could be a reation to the fertilizer or pesticides that may have been used on the herb.

7. sounds like mild allergic reactions? some one asked about all of the people who have reported symptoms like you are asking about with out any marijuana at all? personally i feel like you need to know what else a person had taken before the session in question that gave the strange pins / needles, etc..etc..

8. no connection, if this was a real issue for you see the doctor. plain and simple.

9. Sounds like you got so high your dick fell of. Don't worry. Happens all the time. It will grow back.

10. Are you diabetic?
    I only get that feeling after a weekend of drinking

I'd think its either something like that or its in your head

11. Sounds like a circulatory issue to me. Maybe restricting the blood vessels aren't a good idea for this guy. He should not drink or smoke at all until cleared by a doctor. Sounds like a hereditary thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. I have something similar too. It's most similar to the first case. I smoked two bowl packs about two weeks ago and couldn't feel anything for the next like 5 days and now something the slow, numb, tingly feeling returns. This feeling happens when I smoke a lot and I though it was part of being high until this time when it stayed; usually it goes away with the high. I don't know if this is the case for the other people, but it seems to be aggravated when I drink. I got really drunk last night and now am starting to feel it again. I guess it could be the thc still absorbing in my system and I need to drink more water to flush it out? If someone could back me up on this or tell me if they're symptoms are also aggravated with alcohol that'd be great.

13. Yeah SWIM hasn't smoked since the last incident but has noticed that on a few occasions after drinking (around 5 pints) the tingling returns in the morning for a few hours but is more mild.

14. I'm experiencing this exact phenomenon currently, and am seeking a way to subdue it or get rid of it entirely! I'm 20 years old, athletic, in good shape and eat fairly healthy. Last week or so I smoked more than I have my entire life (every other day from either a bowl or my buddy's bong. Tuesday night (3 days ago) I took 2 big hits from my buddy's bong and got super high. I had an extreme sense of tingliness throughout my body, couldn't focus or concentrate and my motor controls were completely shot. When I woke up, I felt hypersensitive to touch and noticed that the tingliness never left. I had a very hard time manipulating things with my fingers ie putting socks on, turning door knobs and even picking up a pencil...
    I woke up yesterday morning relieved to see that all my symptoms were gone! I walked around for about an hour, until I felt a tingle in one of my arms and BOOM the sensation came back, and hasn't left since.. From time to time I feel spaced out, like everything takes a second longer to process once I touch something, but my entire body is constantly tingling/numb. It's effecting me at work as well as school. Things like driving are terrifying because I lose sense of touch with the steering wheel!
    I've read a couple people online say that this has gone away within a few days, a week., 2 weeks; others said it's never gone away. I learned that weed in high doses (or this particular strain) is NOT for me and I will not be smoking it again anytime soon.
    I need to get back to my normal self ASAP and the thought of this never going away scares the hell out of me. I don't have health insurance otherwise I would have ran to the closest ER yesterday. I'm contemplating going anyway if this doesn't go away in the next couple days, I'm worried about permanent damage.
    If anyone knows of a way to bring the symptoms down or get rid of them please help! Thanks for posting this thread..
    -Jakub

15. I had this exact problem roughly a week ago. 
    I had gotten high once before and I had the pins and needles effect after three hits from a bong and i just slept it off and felt fine the next morning when i got high the second time the effects lasted almost a week. I had gotten high in the afternoon off three hits and that night I got completely smashed. The electric feeling had calmed down but it was definitely still there and slowly left me over the next week. During the week i did lots of hard physical activity which seemed to get rid of the feeling whilst i was working but did little to the feeling after i had finished. 
    My best advice to getting rid of the feeling is to drink plenty of fluids and sleep. Also don't freak out or get paranoid over it, just ride it out it's the only way to get rid of it, try to enjoy it or just keep your mind off it if that works better. But it will fade, you just need to give it time

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm going through this right now. I smoked from age 19 to around 22. Then I stopped, until now, 8 years have passed. I smoked with a friend some mangobiche and damn what thats strain powerful, everything went numb and tingling in my body. I kept smoking since last week, and did it like 4 times, not that much just a couple of hits each session. Right now I feel the numbness and tingle, it doesn't really bother me, but I still hope it goes away :(

17. thanks for posting this uncomfortablynumb1

I recently had this experience after smoking weed w/ a friend. My experience is best described by SWIM's post above - I experienced pretty much the exact same things he did and for the same length of time. I fell asleep probably an hour after me n a friend smoked a J (normal size), just the 2 of us. Prior to this night, I've blazed probably 15 times or so, not often or regularly.

The next day I thought I was still high but my mind was functioning fine, just my body felt a lot different. When I touched almost anything, I felt an abnormal, tingling sensation. It felt like something wasn't right with my sense of touch or maybe my nerves. I remember the feeling most of all when I put my hands in my pockets or put on clothes, but felt it with a lot of other materials too. Even eating & drinking brought a different sensation in my mouth. This lasted 4-5 days, each day the feeling got less strong. 3 or 4 weeks after, I felt this sensation again (out of nowhere though, I didn't even blaze) but it was less strong this time. This lasted about 4-5 days as well. I'd say I have a low tolerance to weed but I've never felt that way before and I don't usually experience anything abnormal whenever I do blaze, before that day. Hopefully someone can make some sense of this!

UPDATE: Ok guys thank you for your responses it's good to hear your experiences. SWIM hasn't smoked since the first post and hasn't experienced the tingling again :) I'm particularly interested in your report <span>AndersonLuisdeSouza as it seem to be the most similar to SWIM's experience. The onset, quality and duration of the symptoms are almost a perfect match which suggests that the cannabis may be the causal factor.(not that the other reports aren't of interest! They just don't have all the similarities) I'm just monitoring this thread  now purely out of interest.</span>

The commonalities that I've noticed so far are:

Onset: During or several hours after smoking.
    Quality: Tingling abnormal sensation in hands, face, feet, legs. Difficulty identifying objects with hands. This abnormal sensation is present upon light touch of particular materials and objects. Especially uncomfortable when hands are placed in pockets.
    Duration: 4-5 days

I think that what is most interesting is the distribution of the abnormal sensation. If the tingling were caused by a peripheral nerve lesion then one would expect an abnormality of sensation in a specific dermatome or nerve distribution, however this does not appear to be the case as both the hands, feet and face are affected. If the tingling were caused by a circulatory issue then one would expect the problem to get worse upon exercise/exertion (no-one has mentioned this). If the tingling were caused by anxiety/hyperventilation then how come people haven't reported feeling overly anxious? SWIM has had many stressful/anxiety inducing experiences since I made the last post but the symptoms have not come back.

If you're reading this and you have had the same/similar problem then please post, the more reports that come in the easier it will be to pick out a theme or trend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Just thought I would add my experience as of late.

I smoke a few joints a day on average and have never really had any issues.

For about 4 or 5 weeks now I've had this tingling in my face and ears on and off, which I can only describe as a pulsating or crawling feeling in mostly my forehead and occasionally the ear.

Sometimes it's mild, other times very intense.

It's highly uncomfortable and distracting. The GP tested everything and it was all normal. I'm seeing a neurologist next week and I'm worried its permanent.

I have purchased from a new source so maybe there's something up with this fluff. It might not even be weed related but it's the only thing that's changed is my source so I have to suspect it.

I think I'll stop smoking for a month and see how I feel. Will report back if I can.

Anyone had the crawling sensation in the forehead long after smoking before?

20. its that weeeet boyyyy