Now on Windows7 Any tips?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Mischief631, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Well finally decided to format to Windows7 after getting pissed at how annoying vista was. Any tips for this new OS?

2. 1) enjoy it. :smoke:

Old thread I know, but I'm trying to give topics with 0 replies a chance ;)

3. I've been on 7 since before it even came out retail. I can understand why people where hesitant of a new OS by MC after Vista, but in all honesty, I can't even stand to look at any other OS I love 7 so much. If you were used to Vista, you'll get along with 7 just fine, minus the bugs.

Come to think of it, the only times 7 has ever BSoD'd me, was GFX Card overheating and shutting down to prevent damage.

If you haven't discovered yet, dragging a window to the top of the screen makes it fullscreen, to the left/right makes it exactly half the left/right screen, dragging to the bottom minimizes, and you can do all that by holding the windows key and pressing the arrow keys. Vista had this too, but windows+tab is a much more fancy version of alt+tab (swap window).

4. Yeah 7's great. I've been using it since build 7057 and that shit was quite good with my hardware. The RTM is rock solid.

5. I love 7, especially 64-bit Ultimate. Haven't really had any problems with it, if I do, I just google it, then it's fixed in within a few minutes. It mostly just has to do with older games.

But right now I'm on my ooold computer I ditched because it sucked, and it has XP.

6. I can't say I have had problems with Win7 64-bit, got it on my samsung and it works wonders.

Then again I was previously using an old comp from 2k era, with an upgraded 512Mb of Ram and 18GB of mem. so...well... anything is better than that on today's standards

7. the idle ram usage on win7 is kinda annoying tho :(

8. For whatever reason, my friend and I discovered that no matter how much RAM (1GB or more) you have, W7 always uses 20~30% of it in idle. We do know that a portion of it is dedicated to graphics memory (you can check it out under the printout version of your index score). The portion is a set %, so more RAM = more dedicated graphics memory = avg. RAM on idle usually sticks between 20~30%.

NO, that dedicated graphics memory does NOT improve gaming performance, that's still mostly on your hardware (and unassigned RAM).

9. exactly i had 2gb of ram in previously and it was usin like 250-350mb in idle, last week i upgraded to 4gb and its idle is on around 800mb. honestly it doesnt effect me tho- like when i jam modern warfare 2 etc its only utilising about 60% of my ram. thanks for clearin that up man...

10. Memory usage in Win7 is measured differently than in previous versions. In XP and below, the "PF Usage" column in Task Manager referred to the amount of total memory used by the whole system. In Win7, though, that metric was abstracted to the point of being nearly useless. Now the same chart in Task Manager is named "Physical Memory", and it's hardly a representation of anything useful. Memory will always be used in whatever way Windows sees a way to use it, because "idle RAM is wasted RAM" - it uses it mostly for caching/prefetching if it's idle. But it no longer shows the amount of "actually in use memory" like XP used to do.

So the truth is, there's no longer any real way to show just how much memory is actually in use by programs or the system at any given moment. Kinda sucks.

11. I'm using 7 64 bit and I love it. I'm just glad I didn't kill myself back when I was using Vista.

12. Basically the same as windows xp just with some fun features