Now illegal to talk about smoking weed in a place where it's legal

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by VikingToker, Jan 24, 2012.

1. thx for posting
    it is amazing the things that the people have allowed the government to do to their freedoms
    no wonder some of the founders recommended a revolution every twenty years after the government gets this big they begin to snowball and continue to grow
    last year congress passed over 4000 laws!!!
    how in the hell could anyone believe we are still free with shit like that happening on a regular basis!

2. Great use of the governments time!

/sarcasm

3. Something needs to happen to this Lamar character.

4. [​IMG]

5. He looks like he would like it.

6. I'm still waiting til' all the geezers in power die off and get replaced by younger, more open-minded individuals.

7. Vote him out of power?

8. I've been waiting for 54 years and it doesn't seem like any of them have died off.

9. I thought I just read an article recently saying how the 'war on drugs' is over...

what the fuh?

10. yeah waiting on the side lines does nothing but give them MORE power
    "all that is nessacary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
    nt usre who said that or if its even an accurate quote but it is 100% truth

11. [​IMG]

someone like ron paul

12. Lmao Ron Paul is neither young nor open-minded. I would definitely describe him as an old and very strict libertarian. I'm not trying to say I don't like him because I think the man truly would make a great president, I just thought your post needed a little clarification. :wave:

13. Edmund Burke

14. But there will always be a dead person to counter my vote ;)

15. No surprise that this is being sponsored by Lamar Smith. It seems like his name is on everything that is anti-marijuana/ pro drug war.

16. Yeah this is pretty shitty. I have been watching it since November and it is truly a thought crime law.. I guess they want to have 50 percent of the worlds prisoners... I start to wonder sometimes whether the US is just really a large low security prison where everyone feels freeish but deep down never believes it....

17. That is not Lamar Smith....

18. Figured I would toss some chum into the water and see what it stirs up.....

Hide Cosponsors
    Cosponsors:
    Adam Schiff [D-CA29]

Text: Summary | Full Text
    Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
    Reported by Committee Oct 6, 2011
    Passed House Dec 13, 2011
    Senate Vote ...
    Signed by President ...

Last Action: Dec 14, 2011: Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.
    Related: See the Related Legislation page for other bills related to this one and a list of subject terms that have been applied to this bill. Sometimes the text of one bill or resolution is incorporated into another, and in those cases the original bill or resolution, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned.
    Votes: Dec 13, 2011: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote. A record of each representative’s position was not kept.

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to clarify that persons who enter into a conspiracy within the United States to possess or traffic illegal controlled substances outside the United States, or engage in conduct within the United States to aid or abet drug trafficking outside the United States, may be criminally prosecuted in the United States, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2011’.

SEC. 2. AMENDMENTS TO THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT TO CLARIFY CONSPIRACIES CONDUCTED WITHIN THE UNITED STATES MAY BE CRIMINALLY PROSECUTED IN THE UNITED STATES.

Section 406 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 846) is amended by--

(1) inserting ‘(a)’ before ‘Any’; and

(2) inserting at the end the following:

‘(b) Whoever, within the United States, conspires with one or more persons, or aids or abets one or more persons, regardless of where such other persons are located, to engage in conduct at any place outside the United States that would constitute a violation of this title, other than a violation of section 404(a), if committed within the United States, shall be subject to the same

penalties that would apply to such conduct if it were to occur within the United States.’.

Passed the House of Representatives December 13, 2011.

Attest:

KAREN L. HAAS,

Clerk.

The Senate Version is still in Comittee.

Sponsor: Sen. Kent Conrad [D-ND]
    S 1672 IS

Cosponsors:
    Jefferson Sessions [R-AL]

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 1672

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to clarify that persons who enter into a conspiracy within the United States to traffic illegal controlled substances outside the United States, or engage in conduct within the United States to aid or abet drug trafficking outside the United States, may be criminally prosecuted in the United States, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

October 6, 2011

Mr. CONRAD (for himself and Mr. SESSIONS) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A BILL

To amend the Controlled Substances Act to clarify that persons who enter into a conspiracy within the United States to traffic illegal controlled substances outside the United States, or engage in conduct within the United States to aid or abet drug trafficking outside the United States, may be criminally prosecuted in the United States, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Drug Trafficking Safe Harbor Elimination Act of 2011’.

SEC. 2. AMENDMENTS TO THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT TO CLARIFY CONSPIRACIES CONDUCTED WITHIN THE UNITED STATES MAY BE CRIMINALLY PROSECUTED IN THE UNITED STATES.

Section 406 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 846) is amended by--

(1) inserting ‘(a)’ before ‘Any’; and

(2) inserting at the end the following:

‘(b)(1) There is jurisdiction of conduct described in paragraph (2) and any person within the United States that commits such conduct shall be subject to the same penalties that would apply to the activities described in paragraph (2) if the activities were to occur in the United States.

‘(2) Conduct described in this paragraph is conduct in which a person within the United States conspires with, or aids or abets, 1 or more persons, without regard to where such other persons are located, to engage in activities at any place outside the United States that would constitute a violation of this title (except for a violation of section 404) if committed within the United States.’.

This bill is very large, and loading it may cause your web browser to perform sluggishly, or even freeze. This is especially true for old and/or bad browsers. As an alternative you can download the PDF of the bill or read the text on THOMAS.
    Continue on to the bill...