Novice!! Planning for my first grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LfcLloydy85, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Hello GC I am new, and looking to start my first grow I live in the UK and I know by reading through some really good threads that I have a lot to get my head round. Helpful advice would be much appreciated. I love the idea of no soil and smell is a big factor i would like to eliminate!! The size of my tent is: 80cm x 80cm x 160cm and that's all I have so far so I am looking at this on eBay

AUTOPOT EASY2GROW 2 POT GROW SYSTEM COMPLETE. GROWING MADE EASY. AUTO POT.

http://bit.ly/YmoEXQ

4 INCH FAN KIT COMPLETE RAM PHAT FULL KIT DUCTING AND PHAT CARBON FILTER

http://bit.ly/RV4h7h

Wot u guys think?? is the fan/filter to small, would I need to light proof the res? And need advice on lighting for that size tent please

2. And this light
    HYDROPONIC 600w HOBBY GROW LIGHT KIT MAXIBRIGHT BALLAST EURO REFLECTOR &HPS BULB

3. All the equipment you linked should work just fine for you. Only thing is I didn't see what the cfm of that fan is. One suggestion I have is as a beginner to start in soil, or similar media. Hydro is great, but not very forgiving to a new grower. This is just my personal opinion. Now read all the "stickies" on Grass City, get yourself some seeds, or clones, and start growing. Good luck my friend, and have fun.

4. Forgive me if I sound stupid but cfm....???? I can't Fined anything about cfm on the fans web page
    But I am going to take your advice and start in soil! Is there any soil a should look out for or stay away from?
    Thanks

5. I'm nearing the end of parts of my first grow (several strains, different flowering times, etc.), and after a bunch of research I picked Fox Farm soils (50/50 mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog). I made this decision because these soils contain a good mixture of soil additives, and therefore make mixing your own soil less (or un-)necessary, which suited me (clueless sucka w/ no grow exp). I did add a bit of lime, though, because FF soils tend to run hot (low/acidic pH); and I find myself using probably a bit more pH up than most, as a result. Whether it's the soil, my nutrients, the genetics I'm working with, or just plain luck, my first grow has been pretty painless so far, and things are looking good. Regardless, I think you could be successful using any number of soils, provided you research whichever one you pick. Hope that helps!

6. These guys r ryt bro, start in soil 1st to get to grips with the grow lifespan first.

Use a soil thats not too many nutes allready packed in. John innes number 2 and perlite from b n q is sound mixed 70% soil 30% perlite. That kits just fines man you'll b good to go with that

Cfm is cubic feet per minute, its jus how much air the fan moves, could b in m instead of feet bro

7. Thanks for the advice (think am going to need a lot)I will take it and start in soil for my first grow, it's just that living in a block off apartments and having to carry compost in and out is not going to be easy!! But to think of it I do have a large hiking rucksack.....
    Also how loud is the setup going to be when in full swing ? because the is people living above and below my spare room witch my tent will be in. Is the any way you can dampen the noise?

8. [quote name='"LfcLloydy85"']Thanks for the advice (think am going to need a lot)I will take it and start in soil for my first grow, it's just that living in a block off apartments and having to carry compost in and out is not going to be easy!! But to think of it I do have a large hiking rucksack.....
    Also how loud is the setup going to be when in full swing ? because the is people living above and below my spare room witch my tent will be in. Is the any way you can dampen the noise?[/quote]

That fan wil b overkill, get a fan dimmer of ebay for bout a tenner an you can turn it down then, how powerful u need ur fan on wil depend on your temperatures bro

9. Thanks will look in to it

10. Big thanks to all for taking there time to give me there advice much appreciated
    Can't wait to get started :)