Nothingness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by EyeCantSee, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Is absolute nothingness possible? If the universe was to self-destruct, what then? Nothingness would be the absence of existence... Is that possible? The human mind cannot comprehend the absence of existence, since we exist or at least THINK we exist. As I sit and type this, I don't know if I even exist. Even if I don't, even if I am the dream of some being, that still means that the being exists.

Is it possible for NOTHING to exist? No matter how hard I try, I can't understand nothingness, nor do I think that it is possible to understand. The only thing I can imagine is vast blackness, no light, no sound, no time, just a big blank infinite nothing. Even then, it's still something.

Anyone else ever thought about this?

2. Yeah, i've thought about this. I mean, it basically is what you're saying. To be able to perceive what nothingness might feel like, is to produce a thought, which exists as a thought, by human definition. Therefore, we exist, as human beings, otherwise this concept would not have a definition. What is interesting, is, if we, as the single most intelligent beings on the planet, ceased to exist, would, technically, animals, or plants "exist"? I mean, after all, they would not be defined. They would not be considered. Animals have thoughts but they do not question morality and universal concepts and therefore, they cannot, and do not, define things. They operate solely on intuition and instinct. Without definition, does something still technically exist?

I happen to think that it does. But then it comes back to your question of well, what if the universe were reduced to pure blackness. Nothing of depth, nothing of mass, nothing of purpose in any way, shape or form. Even then, it can be defined, AS nothingness.

What it is looking like is, if there were ever truly nothing, there could, quite possibly, be simply, nothing. As long as we are here to attempt to comprehend what nothingness might be, there is no such thing.. as nothingness.

3. So the fact that we think of nothingness proves that nothingness cannot be? Very true. I just like to TRY and comprehend what nothingness would be, but it's impossible. Just like trying to grasp the concept of infinite. I don't know, it's just a very interesting thing to think about, especially when stoned.

4. I dont think so. im high so run with me. if there was nothing it would still be something because it has the label of 'nothing', therefore making it something.

What colour would nothing be?

5. EXTREMELY interesting to think about. Very stimulating.

The more you think about it, the more it becomes apparent (for me, anyhow) that to consider nothingness, is to omit the possibility of nothingness.

6. Technically it would not be a color. Since nothing exists there could be nothing to define it, which makes nothingness incomprehensible. But if nothingness could be, then it would not be labeled as anything, because nothing is there to label it, nor would there be any labels.

7. man, my heads about to pop

8. Haha crazy shit ain't it?

9. A concept is just a concept.

10. ...and the lack of a concept is a concept, too. Question he asked, essentially, is what ISN'T a concept?? =) We already decided an un-concept is impossible.

11. Well, in space besides all the interesting things that bring light up there... if it weren't for all of the stars it would be completely black... so that's what I would imagine "nothing" as being. But, if you remove the boundaries that exist in our universe, then technically you wouldn't be left with a total blackness ... so who the fuck knows? It's impossible to know, or ever find out.

12. Which makes it all that more interesting to try and understand, imo....

13. #13 HighGrowMan, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
    Edit

Nothing is real.

it's the independent inverse of everything

14. Unquestionably true. Worded perfectly.