Nothing

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Mogwai, Jun 22, 2012.

1. This isn't another "what is nothing" thread.

I just saw it being discussed on the Colbert Report and a guy was saying that there are different types of nothing, that eventually nothingness will create particles thanks to quantum mechanics, and that "nothing" and gravity actually interact in that objects of mass push "nothing" away and that this is reason the expansion of the universe is accelerating.

Anybody got information on this and can explain it in terms that a normal guy can understand what's going on? I find it super interesting, but I don't know where to begin in actually researching it and understanding it

2. first off i hate the colbert report. And in relation to your post there can never be "nothing". ( i.e.) if you say there is nothing over there you are mistaken. Anything has particles so when you refer to nothing you refer to invisible particles. Even if there is nothing visible there according to the theory of relativity there is something there in a parallel time but why nothing is their is because your perception of time. Since "nothing" is actually something because matter cannot decay the particles are acted on by gravity and can move. This also applies to space since it is just a vast open "nothing" which is really just particles. These particles move planets and object which expand the universe. So yeah, hopefully you can understand that

3. #3 dishin reg, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
    I love it when I see people try to claim nothing can be something. They're just playing semantics.

"and that "nothing" and gravity actually interact in that objects of mass push "nothing""

If gravity is interacting with it, it is obviously something.. just because can't detect or don't know what it quite is yet doesn't mean it's nothing lol it just means we haven't advanced enough to detect it yet.

True nothing is merely a concept that only exists within the mind. It's impossible for 'nothing' to actually exist.

Of course it appears there is nothing in an empty glass, but only because our eyes alone cannot detect the individual air molecules. Once we advanced enough to detect these molecules we discover the seemingly empty glass is actually full of 'stuff' and is far from nothing.

4. #4 validtoker, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
    Well there is a theory, Mogwai, about what dark matter is.  You talk about different universes and let’s say that our universe is a sheet of paper.  We live our entire life on this sheet of paper, but directly above us there could be a parallel universe, hovering right over us, perhaps inches, centimeters away and objects in this parallel universe would be invisible.  Light travels beneath the universe, so we never see this other galaxy. But gravity, gravity goes between universes because gravity is nothing but the bending of space, so if the space between two sheets of paper is bent slightly gravity then moves across.

So think about it.  This other galaxy in another universe would be invisible, yet it would have mass.  That’s exactly what dark matter is.  Dark matter is massive—it has gravity—but it’s invisible.  It has no interactions with light or the electromagnetic force, so there is a theory that says that perhaps dark matter is nothing but matter, ordinary matter in another dimension hovering right above us.  We should also point out, however, that there are other theories too.  Dark matter is the cutting edge of science.  Some people think that maybe it is a higher vibration of the string.  All the atoms of our body represent the lowest octave of a tiny rubber band vibrating all over our body, and the rubber band could have a higher octave.  That next octave could be dark matter. So that’s yet another explanation for what dark matter might be.

-Michio Kaku

5. ^^ what he said...I also think dark matter is just matter in a parallel universe that we can observe

6. [quote name='"dishin reg"']I love it when I see people try to claim nothing can be something. They're just playing semantics.

"and that "nothing" and gravity actually interact in that objects of mass push "nothing""

If gravity is interacting with it, it is obviously something.. just because can't detect or don't know what it quite is yet doesn't mean it's nothing lol it just means we haven't advanced enough to detect it yet.

True nothing is merely a concept that only exists within the mind. It's impossible for 'nothing' to actually exist.

Of course it appears there is nothing in an empty glass, but only because our eyes alone cannot detect the individual air molecules. Once we advanced enough to detect these molecules we discover the seemingly empty glass is actually full of 'stuff' and is far from nothing.[/quote]

Finally you get it. It is impossible for "nothing to exist"

I been saying this for a.long time now.

The reason we all exist is because we can't not exist.

7. Eh you're somewhat misrepresenting what I said.

It is impossible for nothing to exist within nature, because there will always something- whether open space or individual atoms.

We could've easily not existed. It actually would make alot more sense that we wouldn't exist rather than we do.

8. my god, such bullshit. unprovable, forever speculative, so why should we believe or even listen? Stuff like that is so speculative that it's almost not interesting. The questions in these cases are way more interesting than the "answers" which will change drastically as time goes on and new theories come along that are more appealing.

9. Where have you been for the last 100 years and more? Everything Validtoker said about the curvature of space and the possibility of more universes is currently a pretty good contender via M-Theory. You seem not to understand how much we know about the nature of our reality at a very deep level, or that we have done for a very long time.

So far from 'speculative' that you couldn't hit it with a rifle and a sniper scope.

MelT

10. [quote name='"dishin reg"']

Eh you're somewhat misrepresenting what I said.

It is impossible for nothing to exist within nature, because there will always something- whether open space or individual atoms.

We could've easily not existed. It actually would make alot more sense that we wouldn't exist rather than we do.[/quote]

What logic are you basing that on? What would it make.sense for nothing to exist when the only evidence in existance (us) shoes we do exist.

If you basing.your claim on evidence then our current understanding shows that we have a 100% chance to exist untilled we find out that something doesn't exist. If that makes sense

11. keyword: theory. as it will forever be. And where have I been for that last 100 years or more? :D haha... genius.

They could as easily tell you that earth rests on the back of a giant turtle and you'd believe it, 'cause they're the "priesthood" of physics.

I call bullshit.

Kaku doesn't know what "dark matter" is, that's why it's called "dark matter". They have no clue. So the theory in those paragraphs is speculative bullshit and even worse than most theories because "other galaxies in parallel universes" will remain forever unprovable.

12. What is and what isn't all depends on perception

there is an infinite amount of universes all occupying the exact same space, each universe itself has a resonant frequency where things will start to take form. What ever exists at that resonant frequency can only perceive the universe it applies to.

13. Nothing is impossible, get that paradox? Having 'nothing' is impossible in our universe, everything is matter, there can't be no matter anywhere in our universe, everything is matter, even the empty vacuums of space there is particles or atoms which is all matter

14. matter = energy

I think it's better to say everything is energy rather than matter

15. everything comes from nothing, everything is going back to nothing. realize that you are nothing, and act out your role.

16. You clearly have no grasp on what it means for something in science to be a theory.

There is no priesthood of physics. That line from your post is beyond retarded. Science is done be repeatable experiments, and in the case of mathematical physics, logical conclusions that can be verified to follow from their premises.

If you think that scientific theories are "speculative bullshit," then you clearly have an incredibly weak grasp on what science is and how it works.

Your ignorance is appalling.

17. [quote name='"marydyawanna"']

keyword: theory. as it will forever be. And where have I been for that last 100 years or more? :D haha... genius.

They could as easily tell you that earth rests on the back of a giant turtle and you'd believe it, 'cause they're the "priesthood" of physics.

I call bullshit.

Kaku doesn't know what "dark matter" is, that's why it's called "dark matter". They have no clue. So the theory in those paragraphs is speculative bullshit and even worse than most theories because "other galaxies in parallel universes" will remain forever unprovable.[/quote]

I don't understand why you reject this mans theory so quickly..
    Of course you can't prove dark matter exists, but you have to admit it makes a hell of a lot of sense, my friend.
    Stop trying to be so hip or whatever.
    Maybe I watch to much Discovery Science...

18. Don't get pissed because I'm not quick to believe when someone speculates about "galaxies in other dimensions". They could tell you anything, and you'd propagate it because it makes you feel smart to parrot them, when in reality your sheeplike gullibility is evidence of the opposite. :D

Kaku's statement is speculative to the EXTREME. That's obvious to anyone with a brain. But I'm not mad at you for being a "pat-myself-on-the-back-for-being-on-kaku's-dick" SHEEP, so don't be mad at me because I keep a healthy skepticism.

19. Dude, I watch those shows too and they're quite entertaining, but please recognize the difference between true discoveries and entertaining speculation. "galaxies in other dimensions" is the latter.

20. You sir, have conducted quite a strawman. I'm not pissed. You are just another idiot on the internet exhibitng the Dunning-Kruger (sp?) effect by spouting about things which you clearly have no grasp on. If you think I parrot whatever any physicist tells me, you don't know me. When reading a derivation for some equation, I have to be able to understand the proof before accepting the validity of the equation. I simply won't just trust that the math works. The reason that I got into physics in the first place was because the popular science explanations weren't good enough. I want to actually learn and understand the stuff, as well as do research. If you think that I simply parrot what other physicists say to feel smart, then you don't know dick about who I am.

You can continue to make baseless judgements about my character. It only shows how clueless you are. I'm just gonna laugh.

Personally, I don't give a flying fuck about what Dr Kaku says. I've never paid attention to him. In fact, the only time I read anything that he wrote was to see how badly you were misrepresenting his position. He never said anything about galaxies in another dimension. Learn to read.

You are completely ignorant of how theoretical physics works, hell even science in general. Theoretical physics isn't baseless speculation. Theoretical physics is, for all intensive purposes, mathematics. The conclusions logically follow. Obviously, one shouldn't accept the conclusions until there is experimental justification, which is why I'm not a fan of string theory. Dark matter, on the other hand, is accepted because of experimental evidence. Dark matter is a widely established field of cosmology. You can start to look at the papers on it here: arXiv.org Search

You don't have healthy skepticism because you don't understand how science works. You should try reading more. Ignorance must be bliss.