Not yet a noob

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Altron5000, May 1, 2016.

1. #1 Altron5000, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Hey guys/gals. I'm in the research phase of my first of hopefully many grows. I've found lots of good info here aND 420. Now I've acquired a list of things I believe will get me started. I have a buddy that will get me my first clones, so I've got that covered. Attached are images of my amazon cart. I would appreciate any info on the products, what I've left out, and general knowledge. TIA. Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-15-25.png Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-15-30.png Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-15-34.png Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-15-40.png Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-15-46.png Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-15-53.png

2. The plan is to go with a dwc/drip system if that wasn't obvious

3. All that for that little grow tent? Absolute overkill if you ask me but I see a lot of that on the forums. lol
    With all that, you should have no problem growing fantastic plants that yield a decent harvest.

4. What exactly is overkill? The buckets, the light, the filter, the fans?

5. My opinion, doesn't make me right. I'm a bit more old school, I use the same 6" blower with filter in a 12'x9'x8' room with 20 flowering plants. There is not need for PH up and down if you live in a urban area, typically the water is already PH'd to 7, and that's all you need. 750w LED light for a 4x4 seems like a lot but at the same time, I like it. haha

You have a two blowers in that list. The Led light wont produce that much heat :p

6. It's actually 5x5 if that makes any difference at all. Also I just assumed I needed an intake blower, hence the 2 blowers. I only plan on doing 2 plants right now to get me started and I figured I could upgrade my tent later on and still utilize the light if I wanted to down the road.

7. Those ventech in line fans are pretty cheaply made. I had the bearings warrantied on mine twice and they still started going bad again. The warranty ran out so I didn't get it fixed again. I wouldnt put much faith in their filters either. I here too many people complaining about cheap filters. It's worth the extra $$ to invest in a fan that last and a filter that works well. Especially if smell control is a concern, all it takes is 1 problem for smell to leak out. Can't put a price on keeping the grow hidden and your ass out of trouble

8. Killset, you got any recommendations on fans/filters?

9. I have a phresh brand filter I like very much. 1 of my neighbors/buddies is a cop, that filter makes sure we stay buddies if you catch my drift. I also have a can fan inline fan that kicks butt. Can fan Makes a sweet filter also. Theres a fewe other good brands of filters and fans these are jyst what i have experience with. Granted they might be twice the price of the ventech junk but they're quality products that last. The length of service will make up for the additional cost. A deal isn't a deal if they don't work well or don't last nowhere near as long. I'm not in the position to take risks over a few bucks. The way I look at buying quality is no matter how much I spend it's still cheaper then buying weed

10. I agree with you, I'm an automotive technician and can appreciate a good tool that lasts, even if it costs double that of its competitors. I put those products in my cart mostly based on the amazon reviews. I'll look into the can products. Thanks for the info.

11. And just so I'm clear, an exhaust fan is all I'll need? Meaning, no intake blower is necessary?

12. Yes with the correct size exhaust fan it will create negative air pressure. The bottom vents on the tent can be opened and closed as needed. The negative air pressure will bring in fresh air and keep stinky air from going out instead of going through the filter. The tent should be slightly sucked in to show there's negative pressure. The exhaust needs to be dumped away from the grow. Outside, attic, another room, basement. I dump mine outside in the summer and since my filter is kick ass I'm able to dump it in another room of house in the winter to utilize the heat. I once bought a crap htg supply grow Brite filter and it was only half ass crappy when dumping air outside but when dumping in the house the smell built up like mad. Might as well not even have had a filter. Another reason I suggest a good filter. It really sucks buying a cheap filter then buying a good filter.

13. Now if you have a long duct run to where you dump the exhaust at sometimes a cheap booster fan might be needed. Or even just buy a larger inline if long duct runs are necessary. Try and keep them short and you should be set but still have fresh air and a place to dump the exhaust away from the grow so it doesnt get pulled back in

14. I'll be using a large walk-in closet in my basement that is part of a master suite style guest room/bathroom/storage closet combo and it happens to have a drop ceiling that is not really open to the rest of the house. It's sort of just an open cavity above the room that I will likely run the exhaust. If that doesn't work I'll have to run a vent out the side of the house. Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Funny, what makes the Amazon filter cheap? My Blower and filter working fine after one year. The blower fell off the table when it came in too.

"Ya get what ya pay for" isn't always true.

Though "A fool and is money are soon departed." is always true :p

16. #16 Altron5000, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Another thing, should I look into some sort of recirculating system with these individual buckets. I feel like that small amount of water could get warmer than desired. And also the nute water flush/change out would be a little less trouble as I plan to scrog.