Not the usual set up! Advice please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by missevo, Aug 10, 2012.

1. can anyone tell me why it wont allow me to put any more pix up please????

2. finally pix uploaded.......this is her on day 8 of flowering, how beautiful the change was, she literally burst into bud!!!! lovely

Attached Files:

3. Hey anyone out there looking through my pix data that's more like day 12. Hope to get more pix soon as the buds start to swell...maybe I should ask this to be put in a different thread now you guys have helped out so much this far!

Attached Files:

4. That is amazing bro! Keep up the good werk

5. Thanks!!! This is my 1st grow so getting excited now

6. looked at the metadata on the photos and am up to day 17 of flowering after watching her on the windowsill for 5 months...then jumping to a 45w LED panel for a month then purchased a 400w HPS...this is a no thrills grow i give her fresh bottled water or 3 day old tap water....i give her tomoratite tomato food twice a week now she's in flower im think of buying some Canna PK 13/14 she lives in a wardrobe with Mylar taped up and a 20'' fan to keep the temp as close to 82F i can get....i check my ph regularly but have had no problem whatsoever with the john innes soil, water and basic nutrients!

I have only got this far thanks to this thread....i followed the advice...i LST'd her and like a good girl she like being bend right over, i can only thank the GC community for helping me produce this wonderful specimen....i gotta wiff of lemon so im thinkin lemon skunk but who knows...her are her lastest pix...day 17!

p.s got the iphone app yesterday can anyone tell me how to create a thread from just my phone cheers everyone happy cultivating/toking

missevo

Attached Files:

7. Hey Missevo, finally got a few hours to play catch up on your thread. Eileen's looking pretty damned sexy there, if you do any more LST I think you need to switch from string to garters!!! :devious:
    A page or so back you'd asked about your clone lighting schedule. I stay away from 24/0 for clones for a few reasons. One, you don't want to encourage that much growth, especially if you're holding the clones until time to start another round in vegetative growth. Two, and I've never tested this, but many say clones need some darkness for rooting development to be at prime. Finally, I like to keep my mothers on the same schedule they will veg under (18/6).
    Once you get ready to transplant and veg, you can use 24/0 if you want to hurry. Personally though, not a fan of 24/0. Bulbs last longer with the down time, and heat is more manageable with 18/6. And the extra light cycle time, while quicker, won't be proportionally faster than 18/6.
    Glad to hear you got your 400 up & running!

Be seeing you around.

8. Thanks yeah Eileen amazes me everyday!!!!

As for the clones, I didn't like the sound of 24/7 but the LED Panel doesn't produce any heat n I thought as I hav a limited clue as to what I'm doing that'll get the roots going....which it has finally but yeah, the biggest ones gettin transplanted tomoz and kept at 18/6 n same for the other clone...the more I read the more I realise the plant needs a break too!!!!

Thanks for the info & reading thru my posts I'll giv ya a shout soon OS!

Cheers Missevo :)

9. Hey, still catching up, glad the cloning worked for you. Keep this up & I'll be asking you all kinds of questions next!!!;)

10. Haha thanks dude, maybe a case of first time lucky (so far)

Getting my vent system put in 2moz ... At last!!!

Quick question on clones can I keep them in the same room as the flowering mother for the 12 hours she alight then move her into my LED Room for the further 6 so I can Veg her with HID...could this cause them to get confused? I don't know much about genetics but it is a female cutting from a female plant, I just got my timing mixed up...but practice makes perfect I bloody hope!!! Cheers again

Missevo!!!

11. You're welcome;)
    I wouldnt recommend trying to switch the baby back & forth, it's soooo easy to miss a move. Plus the HPS bloom bulb is the wrong light spectrum for clone / veg growth. While it won't do any permanent damage if the 18/0 cycle deviates a little, it's really not worth the hassle moving back & forth... you might drop her or a 'juana vulture might scoop down out of the sky & take her.
    The easiest / cheapest, and probably most effective way to keep one or two clones is with a 23W cool white CFL and one of those spun aluminum clip-on socket / reflectors you can pick up at any home improvement store (I'm guessing you're not stateside and don't have Home Depot?).
    You can grow a full sized mother plant using a 42W cool white CFL and the same reflector, if you ever want to pursue a larger grow. Or root 10-15 clones under the same 42W setup. Back in my old days when I was still running SOG grows I would root 30 clones under a single 65W CFL; worked great.
    Seems like I multi-purpose everything I've acquired over the years. Kinda like mix n' match for the old wardrobe:smoke:

Bee seeing you!

12. Cheers Ye Olde skooly! Nope westside but not that far west over the pond!

Well I repotted her baby, her little roots were a good 8'' - at the mo I'm so strapped for cash I'm gonna have to hold off on the CFLs for this one, I put her in the far end of the room & have the other clone in the other room under the LED....I got alarms telling me when and what to do...but your right it's all abit crazy all over the shop getting ready for this harvest! Any idea on quantities I could be looking at for Eileen or is that impossible just From the size of her & buds sites & the rate of growth i guess it's back to being patience! I plan to properly dry and cure 80% of my harvest and sample the 20% after drying but I'm getting way ahead!!!

I hav a local hardware store & petshop that do good CFLs!

13. A few pix too

Attached Files:

14. Get the reflector, makes working with the CFL sooo much easier. If you don't get one by Christmas maybe I'll send you one. It's big enough to put a Y-splitter in it so you can run two 23W CFL's. Looks like a Dudley Dorkmaster invention but works great.
    Yield, jeez, hard to say without having seen the strain in action before. You got a late start on training, so I'd guess three ounces. But just a wild assed guess. With your new 400, you should easily be able to run anywhere between four and nine plants next time, Then you'll get some yield.

15. reflector? the same as the thingy above my HID or are they different...I've been looking a T4 or T5 kinda grow light, the same spectrum as you mentioned...i do have one thing on my mind though....the grow bible says do not take off the fan leaves or keep as many as possible, but from others pix i see alot of cutting down so just the bud is protruding....i have a lot of bud under the canopy of feeder leaves.....i do take the odd one off here or there but no haircuts.....do you think i should trim her up alittle get more light to the lower buds or less dominant ones???

hope you having a good day OS and you have a relaxing weekend!

16. [quote name='"missevo"']reflector? the same as the thingy above my HID or are they different...I've been looking a T4 or T5 kinda grow light, the same spectrum as you mentioned...i do have one thing on my mind though....the grow bible says do not take off the fan leaves or keep as many as possible, but from others pix i see alot of cutting down so just the bud is protruding....i have a lot of bud under the canopy of feeder leaves.....i do take the odd one off here or there but no haircuts.....do you think i should trim her up alittle get more light to the lower buds or less dominant ones???

hope you having a good day OS and you have a relaxing weekend![/quote]

I've been trimming when removing it just allows more light... As in, only if it was covering other leaves. If it's hanging over the edge, cutting it will lose that area's light, so I leave that alone.

17. #77 Olde School, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
    Hey Missevo, yeah, same principle / function as your HID reflector but this is an el cheapo (about $10) that works well with CFL's. Here's a link to a picture of one:
    Light Reflector home depot - Bing Afbeeldingen
    Agricultural dry good stores also sell a similar one called a brooder light. Those are used for keeping cute little baby chicks warm. The clip-on handle makes for lots of flexibility in light placement. This works great for freshly sprouted seedlings, or to root a few clones.

I do not recommend cutting any fan leaves except during the early stages of vegetative training; these are converting CO2 and light into the sugars the plant needs to make those buds grow bigger. Years ago, leaf pruning was popular, under the theory that it allowed more light to get to the buds. But as growers got smarter, they realized, the bud itself is the "fruit" of the plant & does not contribute that much to the actual growth of the plant. It's those large, medium and small leaves that do that. The buds will grow out of the leaf structure and catch up. The LST you've already done makes up for the rest.
    T-5's are very good; many growers do their entire grows under these. Very good for veg, but not as good as a metal halide conversion bulb for veg-ing under your HID. But for seedlings and clones, a CFL is all you need.

Hope this helps, be seeing ya around.

18. Cheers guys, just as i thought so not pruning as most of the 'weighty resinous' buds are protruding well! The CFL is very interesting do ya think its better than LED coz that seem to be working really well?

thanks so much 4 keeping an eye on my progress all....so much appreciated!

missevo :)

19. I've never tried LED's but if you have it, use it. There's such a wide variation in quality with LED's so I'm still waiting to try them (and keeping up with the technology through my buddy at the grow store:cool:). Many of the cheaper models made in China are notorious for only using approx half their advertised wattage and resulting lumens output. But even the cheap versions will produce lumen levels comparable to CFL's, so you shouldn't have to worry about using it for clones.
    I'm told the high end units kick ass, but they have not made it into mass production far enough to drive the prices down. But from the science involved I see great things coming out of them in the future.
    Reminds me of another winter project - totally useless for anything but to prove I can do it - mega-micro flashlight grow. Gonna show these PC box fanatics "how low can you go?"

20. haha! yeah its just a panel board...45w nicely put together but by no means top end...think the unit was about $80 new...supposed to imitate 200 watts but does defo does not but maybe a good 100 im guessing but the plants really respond to the spectrum...i reckon high end LED's would make great Vegging lights but they would have to be the top dollar ones....mine just keep everything perky till its back in the high Powered Mofo room, but for a cheap ass set, i cant praise them enough.....got eileen & her baby on there way as the very poor summer was starting to take its toll! So yeah CFL's can wait but still lookin at the T5 for future clone development...haha listen to me.....a bloody horticulturist haha!!!

its like it says in the Grow Bible -cannabis is not addictive, but growing is...you have been warned!!! Love that line!!!!

my guitar fingers ''bobby badfingers'' are now turning into Mister Greenery digits.....just so happy to be able to produce for me & myself for once & i can forget the Dimlows that sell me 1 gram of pollen for $19 (just converted from £££'s) it used to be $60 for 7 grams till the metric came in and fucked us all in the behind!!!! Thanks Europe.....

Well i aint bending over no more That's EILLENS JOB! Cheers bro hope youve had a good day!!! Missevo