Not the best artist but trying to design a logo for my video company

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by dutchmaster87, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Yoo grassCity

Right now I'm in the beginning stages of designing a logo for my video company. I was wondering what everyone thinks of it...?

[​IMG]

Anyone out there with photo editing or graphic design skills?

I just want the image to look more neat and professional.... :D

.. jesters are the shit

2. If I still had photoshop I could make that look good as fuck.

3. [quote name='"dutchmaster87"']Yoo grassCity

Right now I'm in the beginning stages of designing a logo for my video company. I was wondering what everyone thinks of it...?

Anyone out there with photo editing or graphic design skills?

I just want the image to look more neat and professional.... :D

.. jesters are the shit[/quote]

How simple do you want the logo to be? Or better yet, how many forms of the logo do you want? It depends on what you plan to put the logo on. For instance, if you're going to place it on a business card, you might want something more simple and stylized, whereas on a t-shirt you might want it more detailed and colorful.
    You can check out an example of the kind of work I can do in the post called "post your stoner doodles." The one titled "Green living" is a simple logo concept I did for a friend. It has little detail, and would look good shrunk down to put on a business card or a coffee mug. And, although they have nothing to do with graphic design per se', I have a couple of paintings I did on my iPad, that show how detailed my work can be. They are in a post that I started called, "The universe creating itself."
    You should check those out, and you should give me a more detailed version of exactly what you are looking for. Meanwhile, I'll copy your picture into the iPad app I use called "Brushes," and I'll sharpen it up a little. I'll just spend a couple of minutes on it to show you what can be done with a simple iPad app. Maybe you'll find that you can do it yourself with relative ease, and yet still have something that looks good.

4. :D Just playing around, and tried out your idea. if only i had a drawing pen tablet, then i could show you some real work.

Attached Files:

5. #5 Gus Fring, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
    Ok. i had to post this.

STOP MAKING LOGOS IN PHOTOSHOP!!! AGHH!

Logos should be designed using VECTOR software, not bitmap editing software.

The reason is because logos may have to be shrunken/enlarged to various sizes and bitmap will corrupt(pixelate) like that. Or it may need to be represented using only black and white, or embossing, etc. (color change)

OP, you should figure out what kind of company you are(want to be) or what you want to say to your viewer. Try to concept an identity that will represent that. (can be just a concept with no artwork yet) Not just to you, but one that is able to effectively communicate to an audience that isn't informed about your business at all. Meaning a new viewer should be able to discern your companies "vibe" if you will, through your visual identity. Logos are just one aspect of visual identity by the way.

I'll come back later with some more advice that might help you. When I have more free time to waste. I might (don't hold me to it) give some direction to look at. (using the jester and some new concepts) but I don't know when I can do that. I'm already fairly busy most of the time and logo development is something that takes my full attention once I'm started on it.

But I will monitor this thread form time to time and try to help when/if I can. or if I have the proper time to dedicate to it. I hope the little bit of advice I gave was helpful to you. It's hard to fully understand this aspect of graphic design (visual identity) without having received any training/practice.

Buuuuuuuttt. You are not a corporate client and we don't have to kill ourselves with thinking to much about it. but the job should still be done right.

6. [quote name='Gus Fring']Ok. i had to post this.

STOP MAKING LOGOS IN PHOTOSHOP!!! AGHH!

Logos should be designed using VECTOR software, not bitmap editing software.
    QUOTE]

Attached Files:

7. Probably don't know how to use Illustrator? ^ haha, it's worth it. Way better for logos.

8. No I do, I learned it in Digital Media, pretty good witht that wacom tablet too. but i didnt care to use it that day/night cause i was just messing around. I had to design t-shirts and shit with Illustrator. But im not being payed, so fuck it. ya know?

9. [quote name='"CulturalCoughee"']

No I do, I learned it in Digital Media, pretty good witht that wacom tablet too. but i didnt care to use it that day/night cause i was just messing around. I had to design t-shirts and shit with Illustrator. But im not being payed, so fuck it. ya know?[/quote]

Just a quick exercise with Photoshop eh? I know that feeling