Not Sure What The Problem Is

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Tequeneek, Apr 15, 2010.

1. This is my very first plant, I grew it from a seed. I tried to do quite a bit of research before I did and tried to take in as much knowledge as I could, but being my first plant I knew better than to expect everything to go perfect. It was actually fine up until it started showing that it was budding so I decided to take a couple of the (bigger) bottom leaves off (which I thought was okay?) so that the buds could get more water to them (I'm growing in potting mix W/ miracle grow in it that I picked up from wally world) but after I cut them everything started getting real droopy. My friend said it may have sent it into shock but it's been about two weeks and it still hasn't picked back up. I took pictures for everybody to look, if anybody will take a stab at what they think the problem is I'd really appreciate it .

Attached Files:

2. The big fan leaves are very important, they allow the plant to produce energy. Think of them as solar panels. Its not a very big plant, so it needed all the leaves it had.

3. agreed... you shouldnt have done that.

4. What are you feeding and how much?

From the appearance of this plant, I would guess that you have had some ongoing issues with the entire grow.

5. Thanks Head, I won't cut them next time. How big does the plant have to be in order for you to consider cutting the "sucker" leaves usually?
    The only thing that's been feeding the plant is the soil's timed release nutrients, which contains micromax and miracle grow. I haven't had any trouble with the plant until I cut the leaves though.

So what do you guys think, it'll be alright right?:confused:

6. Hi T,

Looks like overwatering first off (that's your droopiness cause probably), and she's overfed as well. Let her dry out and back off her feeding a bit and she will pick up eventually. Since she hasn't got a lot of foliage to work with, she will take a lot longer for anything to happen, so you'll have to be patient.

I've seen a lot worse for 1st attempts :)

Learn your lessons on this one and try to make your 2nd one a little better. Get some good soil and add in lots of perlite - it'll help you keep from over watering ;) and make for a healthier plant because the roots will be able to breathe better.

You may have to pray for the best this round, but I've seen some major recoveries before...

Good luck!

7. Thanks Asked, I really appreciate the advice man. I'll let it dry up a bit and get back to you in a couple weeks. My second plant is actually in the hydro system on the other side of it (I have my closet blocked off in the middle by two hanging towels) under flourescent lights, which is the same thing I use on the other side. I have the system with the nutrients in it to turn on for 15 minutes every 8 hours, as instructed from the research I've done. You're all helping me out a lot, thanks.

8. would anyone else say that this plant looks like it had some major strrrretch throughout its life?

9. I'm not sure what you're talking about by "stretch", I've never heard anybody talk about a plant being stretched. Regardless, as I said earlier.. the plant was perfectly healthy until I cut some of the bigger leaves off at the bottom..

10. yes, its way stretched. Thats due to lighting issues.

11. Yeah like grrower said it has lighting issues. You're probably not running enough light and you've probably got it too far away.

How long did you let it veg?

12. I'm running (both, my hydro plant and my soil plant) under two hanging "plant" fluorescent lights w/ fixtures (each hanging fixture holds two lights, you all should know what I mean) but I'm unaware of the watt because I threw the boxes away (because I'm a moron apparently).. anyway, they're hanging about 3 inches from the plants. According to the research that I've done on the internet, I thought it was right.. but if you guys have advice for me I'm more than willing to take it.

I don't recall the time period I let it Veg for, I let it Veg until it got around eight or nine inches tall.

13. if you are using tubes then 3 inches is way to far away. I get them about a half inch from the top in my veg room. The plant would need to be touching the light for more than a day to burn.

there is a big difference in floro tubes and CFL's. high watt CFL's need to be a bit further away due to heat issues, tubes can be within milimeters from the top of your plant without causing damage.

if you have a 2' tube i would guess the wattage is less than 20W each. my 4' tubes are only about 25W a piece.

that stretch is due to low light issues that will certainly affect yield and density.

14. Look on the bulb? or anywhere inside of the fixture or take the brand name and figure out somewhere online that carries it to see. It seemed like there wasn't enough light but there could've been other issues. 4 bulbs for 2 plants sounds sketch unless they're 50 or 100W flouros

15. I replaced the bulbs that originally came with the fixtures with bulbs that said "plant and flower" on the cardboard that it came in. I'll go back up to walmart some time today or tomorrow and check the wattage and let you know for sure. Anyway, I just took your advice and lowered both of my lights closer to my plants, so hopefully that'll help. Keep in mind, the light over my hydro plant doesn't turn off, is that going to create problems having the light that close being turned on all the time?

16. Just watch for heat issues. It's a little too late to put them close since the plant is tall. A few inches away is fine but its strange that it just kept growing so tall. I think there was just not enough wattage in the beginning. Anyways, at walmart check out the ACTUAL wattage on thsoe CFL's. They typically say 23W which is 100W incandescent equivalent. You have to measure it based on the 23W so you'll need 4 of those 23W to get the 100W minimum for one plant. Then you need an additional 50W per plant so you will need around 6 or 7 bulbs to support two plants. It may be beneficial to rig some kind of setup where the bulbs are distributed vertically to provide lower leafs and bud with light to grow with.

No biggie just watch it on the next run.

17. Thanks man, I didn't get to walmart today but considering I go every other day (just about) I should end up there tomorrow anyway.

18. Haha yeah I remember I used to make near daily trips to Home Depot, PetSmart, Lowe's, Walmart, Hydrostore, etc, trying to get all the parts I needed lol. Goodluck though

19. Thanks bro, so here's a question...

I have two timers, and two lights, so basically all I need is one on each side (two fixtures set up and down per plant) or four lights (one fixture in each corner of a box.. or something).

Help give me some ideas.

20. I'd say rig some kind of PCV device that sits on the floor in an L shape, and then a rod goes up from the L-shape and you attach the lights to it, however you want. If you need two outlets from your timer pick up one of those 3-way splitters or an extension cord. If you don't understand the device I'm trying to describe I can look one up, its basically a stand and the L sits on the floor to brace it from falling over and a pvc tube goes upwards and then you just attach shit to it.

Sorry about the weird explanation...I'm blazed but if you need I can draw a pic.