Not sure what the problem is (Pics)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by unknownnewuser, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Feminized White Widow from seed
    Watered when soil was dry to first knuckle
    3 gallon pots
    constant oscillating fan breeze

Starting grow space(31 Days) Healthy growth:
    Humidity: ~60%
    Temperature: ~77F
    4ft x 4ft
    300 LED
    ~12in from plant
    PH's water to 6.3 no problems

Current Grow space(22 days):
    Humidity: ~40%
    Temperature: ~79F
    2ft x 5ft
    2 300 LEDs
    ~17in from plant
    LST'd
    PH'd @ 6.3 problems began in new area
    PH @ 6.9 now problems still insist

Plant 1:
    20150108_185937.jpg
    20150108_185945.jpg
    20150108_185959.jpg
    20150108_190016.jpg
    20150108_190042.jpg

Plant 2:
    20150108_190138.jpg
    20150108_190342.jpg
    20150108_190349.jpg
    20150108_190358.jpg

Plant 3(highly stunted):
    20150108_190839.jpg
    20150108_190850.jpg

Any suggestions people?

2. Do you have a ph pen or meter?

3. I use a PH meter for the water. Then I have a chemical reaction method as well to ensure the meter is not out of whack. Water until water is in the bottom reservoir tray 

4. So you're saying run-off is 6.3 starting out, then you raised ph and run_off now is 6.9 ... of so, what was your ph going in? Explain your ph method so I can better understand.

Sorry If I am confusing. I didn't even think to PH the runoff!! Ok luckily today is watering day so I just got done watering my plants and here are the results (BTW I am using Roots Organic soil and I do not add any nutrients to my water):

Plant 1:
    PH feeding water  -> ~6.8

PH Runoff water   -> ~5.10

Plant 2:

PH Runoff water   -> ~4.85

Plant 3:

PH Runoff water   -> 5.35

The first 3 plants have grown nearly identical with the 4th one being the highly stunted plant. This plant was the last one in the pictures above. I did not water it as it barely takes water from the soil.

6. Friend your plants are in multiple nutrient lock-out now, they couldn't uptake certain nutrients until the ph is sorted. That soil must be crap if you haven't fed any nutrients and ph is that skewed.

Ok well I'm waiting to go into flower until this is sorted out. How can I fix the PH? Flush the plants with a PH of 8 or something? What should the PH of the runoff water be?

Thanks for your help :)

8. Run-off is not extremely accurate, but it's the quickest way. I would start flushing with a ph of 7/8 and bring the run-off to 6.5/6.8 and let them dry, they'll improve a bit but will probably need an additional flush next time also, that will be for you to ascertain. So, flush, let them dry, and when they need water again you can check the root-zone ph by starting your water through and determine if flushing the second time is necessary.

Thanks! I will keep you updated in the following days with some more pics

10. Damage is permanent on the leaves, new growth will reveal a return to better health.

Flushed 1 plant with 5+gallons of water @ a PH lvl at 8 and there is no change in the runoff PH.

12. Are you using MiracleGro or similar soil? I've seen some nasty results once those poisonous micro-nutrient beads start to pop.

I am using Roots Organic:

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/rootsorganicssoil.cfm?redirect=false&source=pla&kwid=Hydroponics_HDR1008&tid=HDR1008-1&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=HDR1008-1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8rilBRDZu_G8hszXraoBEiQABlB9Y3iQUh1P9PahRBsjTjLN60079us5eXmmWsv1_N14H1IaAkje8P8HAQ

I didn't buy it here but this is the bag

14. Have you been feeding these ladies? If so what nutrients.

Definitely need to get that Ph adjusted for sure, mmman has you on that already though.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. I haven't been feeding them nutrients. I only give them PHd water of 6.8 during their lifetime. Now i suspect that even though i only use water for feedings i still need to flush the plant every other watering or every third watering to get rid of all the toxic waste from the plant. I have never flashed the plant and i think I'm paying for it now :(

16. You could try sprinkling some wood ashes or egg shells and water over them but I don't know how quickly that would work. Wood ashes would probably react quicker than the egg shells though.

17. Just read that you weren't feeding anything, I missed it my first glaze over the thread.

There are a lot of ways to buffer soil Ph. Earthworm casting can help buffer Ph, oyster shell flower also works, and the ever popular dolomite lime. You can try to sprinkle these on the top layer of soil but that will take a while.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. What to use to up or down the ph? When going organic. Lemon and baking soda?

19. Oh wait, he doesn't need to ph if he's going soil right?

20. #20 mmman, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
    Hate to say it friend, but when ph is that out of whackage desperate measures are called for . I'd pluck those girls up OUT of their original substrate and replant them into a fresh medium. The plants will hardly notice. If you want to save them this is what you need to do. Pluck each one up gently, wash the root-ball gently and gently transplant into fresh medium. I've done it many times with vegging plants and several times with flowering plants,  as stated previously, they hardly notice.