Not sure what I've got here but I need help FAST

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by temperamental69, Sep 23, 2008.

1. #1 temperamental69, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
    I looked at my plants today, and on a few of the leaves there are brown spots, maybe one or two. A few are yellowing around the edges and a couple are curling upwards. The soil is the same that I was given the plants in, that they were being grown in until I got them..So I don't know if there is something wrong with it or not..Just one or two leaves out of the entire plant, and some of them have yellow on them. I took a couple pictures and they are below. I tired to get as clear a shot as I could.

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01493at6.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01491fy6.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc01492lu1.jpg

Should I get them out of the soil they're in immediately or is this something else..?

I dont know based off all the FAQ's which one I have here.. If any. N deficiency, pH,..But I've got a few bucks saved up that I'll be heading out to the store as SOON as I get a reply in this thread..

2. Also on the leaves that are yellowing most of the tips are now flat rather than pointed.

Also, this is literally my 5th post about this.. I haven't the time to waste waiting for a reply any more and I've got to go to the store now, so if I don't get any of the right stuff again I guess my plants will just have to die.

3. #3 SrGrower, Sep 23, 2008
    Usually when the tips burn or turn ellow it is due to over fertilizing.
    Good luck. I couldn't see the pics Explorer couldnt download.

4. It looks to me like cal/mag deficiency, possibly some root lock too. If you have not gone to the store yet, I would suggest some cal/mag use about 5 ml per gallon w/ every other watering. A good flush w/ PH'd balanced water probably would not hurt either.

less

5. I am using filtered water.. It's being run through a brita filter and sitting in the cups I use to water for a day or so.. I was told this was also acceptable and ideal.

6. #6 temperamental69, Sep 23, 2008
    I have yet to receive any advice on soil/nutes, etc and what I should do as of right now.. SO I went ahead and just put some of the miracle gro nutes that I bought and pictures in my many threads into it. If that screws it up, I don't care at this point.

Edit: And to flush would I just take the entire plant out of the pot and run it through water or would I cut a big hole in the bottom, and just run water through it (so the excess water just drains out the big hole @ the bottom of the pot) ?

7. Right, the pics look like your growing plants outside. You are over feeding your plants and possibly giving them a dose of nutrient that is too high. What are you giving your plants and at what dose?
    Yellow leafs is often a potasium deficiency.
    You should flush the plant by just giving it pH balanced water pouring at the base of the plant (where the stalk hits the soil), do this for 3 days and their should be a significant change in the plant. Let me know how it goes, if i can help more i will...

8. One of the leaves actually just fell off with me just tugging on it a tiny bit. It was the worst leaf of the entire two plants and was ready to fall anyways.

I am growing indoors.

I bought Miracle Gro All-purpose organic nutrients as per someone else's recommendation. When I spoke to the guys at the store that sold me the plants, they said that they did not believe there were any nutrients in the soil that was being used already, aside from a bit of peralite which I could already see in the soil. I didn't add anything for the first 4 days that I had the plants, because I did not know this. When I found this out I started posting messages frantically on here asking what I should do.

As of right now, the ONLY thing I have done is I added approximately 1 ML of the Miracle Gro nutes to 1L of filtered water (from brita filter) and sprayed the leaves with a spray bottle, also since the plants needed watering I just put the same water into the soil to water it. So those are the only nutes I have added so far.

Do you still recommend I cut two big holes in the sides of the pots and just run water through the top as you said?

9. i didn't say anything about cutting a hole in the bottom of the pot! Have your pots got drainage holes? Undertrays? Just give pH balanced water for 3 days. Also how close are the plants to your light and what are you using?

10. also give less to plants than you have been giving them as they are still small. soil should be damp not soggy. can't stress this enuff

11. My plants are 3'' from the lights, I'm using two CFL's at the moment, but I am also aware that I really need more lights.

I know you didn't say anything about cutting holes, that just seemed what was most logical to me. I have drainage holes at the bottom but they are not big at all, maybe about the size of a pen's width and there are only 3 per pot. I was just going to cut larger, yet small holes on the bottom-side so that water could drain more easily out of the pot.

I also am not sogging my soil, if I gave you that impression I apologize. I've only watered my plants twice since I got them (once the first day and once just when I posted my last post about the miracle gro). The soil is damp right now, about 2 inches down, so it should be good I think :)

12. For one, Potasium deficiencies seldom occur during veg, and the signs are untypical of Potasium Def. Calcium and Magnesium Def's are not only more common at this stage, but progress quickly if the PH's is off. Just b/c you are filtering your water w/ a Brita filter does not mean the PH is correct b/c if you are using tap water from metro source, it most likely contains clorine, which can only be removed completely by RO. Most likely your water even after filtering is 7.5 or so.

It is definately a secondary nute deficiency. I had suggested cal/mag, which 5 ml per gallon for the next couple of waterings will take care of it. To properly flush, you want to run 3 times the water of the size of your pot; in other wiords: 1 gl pot, 3 gallons water. This completely flushes out any salt build up and deposits from your PH being too high. Do not water until your soil is somewhat dry and kind of shrinkiing from the sides of the pots, and drop some cal/mag. Your plants will wake right up.

Here are some NL #3 at 21 days now from seed in MG Seed Starter using only 6.5-6.8 PH water and cal/mag every other watering.

Attached Files:

13. #13 temperamental69, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
    Sounds awesome dude. Thank's so much for taking the time to post and help out. Same goes to everyone else.

ARe there any recommended brands/names I should pick up that would be good for the cal/mag? Unfortunately I cannot do it tonight but I will be goign to the store first thing tomorrow morning to pick it up.

So if I understand what you're saying.. (for arguments sake I'm going to use your example of 3g water to 1g soil) is take 3g of water, wait until the soil is dry enough so that it needs to be watered again, drop 5mL of cal/mag into the 3g water jug, and just pour it onto my plant while letting the excess just drain out of the bottom holes?

I hope that I got it :)

14. I use Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus. Great stuff. While you are there, pick up a PH kit to test the PH of your water. They have a kit tha thas PH Up and PH Down along w/ testing solution and chart for like $15. I would seriously test the PH, this is a common problem when the PH of the water is too high.

less

15. Thanks again. I'm going out to an actual WEED store tomorrow that should have everything I need. Screw this wal-mart/canadian tire/home hardware crap.

I'm guessing I was right about what to do with the flushing with my last post then? :) :hello:

Also.. Is there a "point of no return", so to speak? Meaning.. How long do I have before my plants are literally too messed up/deficient/whatever they are to not be able to be fixed?

16. Here is a step by step of what to do. I take it you are using gallon pots???? Flush with 3 gl of water per pot, on the last gallon you use to flush use a dose of cal/mag in it. Let them dry out good, probably several days, then hit them with your regular watering using 5 ml of cal/mag per gallon of water. If you need more indepth explanations just PM me.

less

17. #17 temperamental69, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
    That sounds awesome man. Thanks so much again, I think I'm pretty clear on that. Jus pour 1 g through it, wait for it to drain, then the second, then for the third add the cal/mag and do the same, then just return to regular watering.

I read somewhere that it could be a Potassium deficiency, which mine also kinda looks like (could be so many things lol).. If so it says to just add Miracle Gro All Purpose plant soil, which is EXACTLY what I have, however on the side of the box there is no mix showing for Potassium.. I guess it must be in there since the guide said it specifically? It's the one that's posted here several times.

One more question that isn't really important... My parents bought me a Bionaire HUMIDIFIER for my christmas present for my apartment.. If I put this beside the plants will that do anything? I remember hearing somewhere that humidifiers help..

Thanks again :)