Not sure if this is the place to ask...

Discussion in 'General' started by tea.mochi, Feb 1, 2008.

1. EDIT: Okay, people are getting the idea that I'm moving JUST because of pot. THIS IS NOT TRUE, I just want to move somewhere that it is more tolerated, thats all. I also don't want to stick around America if it starts to go to war with Iran and such, I don't want more laws to be passed that limits my freedom (patriot act?) and puts the government where I don't want it. Our standard of living is also going down, people can't afford much right now and I don't want that either, I mean, Canada's money is worth more than ours now, and no offense to Canada/Canadians, but this wasn't true a while ago.
    Oregon's police are violent, theres articles about it all the time, and I'm scared to get stopped by one for ANY reason.
    I know it LOOKS like I"m more concerned about smoking, but its not the case. Please don't think this.

Since this site is based in the Netherlands (right?) I have a question for those members who are from the area.

Depending on how things here in the good ol' USofA concerning the California Legalization and the presidential elections, my boyfriend and I are fleeing the country.

I know I could look this stuff up online, but I feel it would be easier to get a personal view.
    How easy is it to move to the Netherlands? Is it easy to get a job? What do you suggest for someone looking to move to your country?

Not that you'll think this, but we're not looking to move there JUST because its ok to smoke, but apparently you guys are one of the happiest countries in the world right now and I've heard nothing but good stuff about your country.

Anyway... not sure if this belongs here, but any knowledge would be awesome.
    Peace.

2. well i too am misfortunate enough to live in the united states of americas ass sucking government but i have looked into that same move for myself. being the single most immigrated to country in europe it is extreamly hard to legaly move and get set up there. good luck tho.

3. ^ damn bro i thought u were out of the us? where u at :confused:

4. Well that sucks. XP
    I'm just hoping we get Ron Paul.. I don't agree with all of his stances, but he seems to be the only one who really understands privacy and personal choice, what with ending the war on drugs and such.
    BUT, if California legalizes it, and our new president is uh.... decent? then I'll probably stay and move to Cali (I'm in Oregon). Thats kinda my plan so far.
    That or move to Canada... or Korea (But their drug laws are worse than here... but their standard of living is awesome and they're real safe too (south korea lol))

5. I heard it is really hard to try and legally live in the Netherlands. Your should probably call the immigration ministry or whatever the equivalent is and get solid info there. But let us know what you find out cause I'm sure a lot of us here would want to hear about it.

Edit: California will never straight up legalize it and even if they did the Feds would probably come down even harder on the state than they do now.

6. Well thats what they're trying to do right now http://www.calhemp08.org/wording.html.
    It would be legal federally too and would be somewhere between alcohol and ciggs, you can't get fired for it, you have to be 21, things like this.

Eddy Lepp announced it at his November harvest party, I read the whole thing and it sounds good.

7. A chill place I recommend where people aren't all up in your face, small government, and not too much police would be Southern Italy.. Trust me.

8. Seriously? Is it a cool place for smoking and stuff too? Do you live there?
    INFO! You make it sound so cool, and Italy seems sooo romantic. ^_^

9. Just move north ... in Canada we're chill with the bud !

10. You know, I was honestly considering that too.
    My boyfriend is a little wary though, what with those rumors of the NAU or something. I don't know, I don't know much about it or anything.
    If worse comes to worse I think I'd go with a couple friends (thats their plan).
    And when you say you're chill... just how chill is chill?

11. Yeah I've herad about that bill. I wish it the best of luck and that would be great if it were signed into law. However I remain pessimistic about it. Didn't Arnold shut down an earlier industrial hemp bill recently? Anyways I'll keep donating to CA NORML until the day it's legalized or until I die. Good luck in finding a MJ friendly country. I hear Spain is tolerant.

12. it's real easy if you have a european passport. Any country's will do.

If one of your parents or grandparents was born in a european country then there's a good
    chance you'll be eligible to get that country's passport. GL!

13. You're basing your decision to move on cannabis laws?

As undesirable as American federal politics may be right now, you remain one of the most free countries in the world and it is absurd that you want to 'flee' it like a genuine political refugee. It's actually quite insulting and belittling to the millions of people who have died in genuine political strife.

I guess the free world has REALLY spoiled its subjects.

14. I don't know about the industrial hemp bill you speak of really, but this one is definitely for all pot stuffs. Right now they need a bunch of signatures, maybe you could help with that since you live there. (I know I would, I wish I could)
    I'm just gonna cross my fingers.
    Spain huh?

15. Do you really think you can move to a country where you don't speak their language, get a job and earn a living, just to smoke buds in peace? I don't know.. I probably won't ever move from the states, might visit Canada for extended periods of time but home is home no matter who's in charge. Fuck basing if you're staying in the country on whether or not weed is made legal or who the President is. Just my $.02.

16. Actually, I'm not and I do remember adding that to my post.

I would like a place that is more tolerant than here though, our police beat kids walking past curfew and mentally ill people thinking they're drunk or causing trouble, I'm not so sure they'd be forgiving to a 'pothead'.

I live in hiding from people knowing my 'drug' usage, I can't get a job unless I use fake pee or detox my system, my government can arrest me for any reason, they can listen to my phone conversations, spy on my house, break into my house for any reason and can throw me in jail without a fair trial for any reason. I can be on their terrorist list for having a name similar to someone who is also thought to be a terrorist. My name is Asia, many muslim or islamic people mistaken me for one of them online, because its close to Aisha so I'm worried I might already be on the list.
    Our country is in debt and our economy sucks, my boyfriend and I are living paycheck to paycheck because there are no jobs anymore, since no one can afford to keep their employees due to all this taxation and such.
    AND I'm afraid I'll be put in danger by my government cause we're wanting to go to Iran now, and if things like the Patriot act were put in effect for Iraq, I don't want to think of what will happen with Iran. I'm just leaving while its still not so bad. I'm not saying I'm not free, I'm just saying that if things don't change, I don't want to stick around for when things go even more downhill, get my meaning?

I'm sorry I sound "spoiled"?

Granted, I know there are things that I have that others don't (can't think of what they are, so they must not be that awesome (or I must not care so much about those things))
    All I want from my government is my privacy and a good standard of living, without having to take two or three jobs just to do it. Thats all I need to be happy, and I don't feel thats what I'm getting. I'm sorry this offends you, but you didn't have to read it.

17. i think countiries like switzerland, norway, and sweeden would be ideal to flee to if things should ever get really bad here.

you don't ever hear about bad things like war and civil rights issues there.

18. Thats true...
    I mean, things are okay right now, but if they get much worse I just don't want to stay, especially if we got to war with Iran. I mean, the world fucking hates us right now, I would rather be in Canada, no one seems to hate Canada (besides some Americans, and they're just jealous). I honestly don't see a reason to stay in a country you don't feel safe in.

19. I'm not basing it off of that, please don't think that. I DO want to go somewhere its more tolerated, cause I'm a very nervous person, I don't want to stress so much just to do something I love.
    I also want my privacy back.

20. I'd say go to spain or canada, i heard the netherlands in beautiful to visit but not such a nice place to live. I made this post without reading any cause i'm a little busy, I'm sure i'll give a more indepth of my $.02 later.