Not sure if problem.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CraigJames, Feb 3, 2013.

1. I am growing in a enclosed closet with two soft white cfls. Here are my two plants. The one that is slouching is worrying me a little and I want to figure out what may be the problem. I do exactly the same to both plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. There's not a whole lot of info to go off of, but I had a similar issue until I switched to "daylight" (6500k) CFLs. Could also be the distance from plant to light source. Or a little over watering. Take your pick : )

3. I keep the cfls about 1-2" away from plant tops. Can't change out bulbs, don't have money.

4. The color doesn't look bad so if they were mine, I'd not water for a day or so and see what happens. I'm no expert, but that's how my stuff looks at any stage if it's overwatered. Also, sometimes they just start out funky, I have a few that looked like garbage, 2 weeks later they're better than good.
    Also, I'm not a fan of the store, but Walmart sells 100w daylight CFLs like 3 for $15 or close to that. Hard to beat :)

5. Haha. I love Walmart but the closest one is 20 miles away.

6. get your lights closer. theyre a little bit stretched, small one looks a little overwatered, but theyre both pretty healthy.

7. Ah bummer, welp, the other unlikely place I've found them is Walgreens, think they're a little more though, like $9 per.
    But aside from that I think you'll be okay, I've found patience to be a huge part of this whole dealio.

8. Thanks. I know the little one looks stretched. 1-2 inches is too far away?

9. From what I can see, your soil is lacking drainage/aeration... unless you're using lava rock or rice hulls which doesn't seem likely. "Overwatering" occurs when there isn't enough aeration in your medium, suffocating the roots. Think about it, are hydro plants overwatered? Are self-irrigating pots overwatered? No, because the roots are getting plenty of oxygen. If your plants are "overwatered" then it's because your soil isn't optimal.

Lack of proper lighting as well.

10. no thats where they should be, unless you got a fan blowing right at the bulbs cooling them down enough that theyre cool or just slightly warm to the touch. if thats where you got your lights, the stretch is probably caused by the yellowish spectrum of the light, Ive read of that once but I wasnt sure if the guy who wrote it wasnt jsut confusing it with flowering... nice, Im taking this as evidence supporting that theory then :D

11. I bought new Miracle Grow Moisture Control soil

12. That's the problem. It's garbage. Most bagged soils aren't tailored for mj, especially miracle gro. That's why a lot of growers either mix their own soil or buy the expensive brands.

13. But I read somewhere that this was good for starting cheap.

14. hey guys new grower here. i have photos that i would like someone to look at if possible. grow outdoors in a pot, water every two to three days. add powdered blood and bone to watering every 2 weeks. looks fairly healthy but i have no idea how far along it is (its about three months old) i have no idea how to upload pics on here so you can help send us a message and i will email pics to you. cheers guys!!

15. [quote name='"CraigJames"']

But I read somewhere that this was good for starting cheap.[/quote]

Its great for starting cheap, it just sucks at actually growing plants.

16. No, whoever told you that is misinformed. Soil is more forgiving than hydro and that's why people recommend it for beginners, but the lower your quality of soil, the less forgiving it is. A perfect example is overwatering... I could water my plants everyday (don't need to) and they would never suffer, in fact they would benefit greatly from a self-irrigating system... because I use a soil mix that has a lot of drainage. But if you did the same, your results would be much different.

What strain is this? If they're bagseed, then you likely have 2 wildly different phenotypes. Meaning that whatever you think you're doing "exactly" the same doesn't mean you're going to have the same results. Even if it's the same exact strain from seed, it's likely that they will still have differences. If they were clones from the same mother, then giving the the "exact same conditions" would be relevant, but in this case it is not.

Go check out the organics section for good advice on soil, you can take any crappy dirt and tailor it yourself... turn it into something that performs very well for just a few bucks.

Cheers and good luck with your grow :smoking:

17. They're both BC big bud. How would I add more drainage?

18. 30% perlite