Not Sure if I should take Graphic design classes or learn on my own

Discussion in 'General' started by LoveisKind, Aug 13, 2015.

1. I am interested in getting a graphic design certificate and want to learn techniques when it comes to Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. However, I am kind of worried what these classes will offer me. Taking these classes will equal nearly 2 grand.
    However, I called up the school and they said the instructors may change so I wouldn't know who the teacher is near the time when class starts. The classes for each program is a 2 day course from 9am-4pm. Is that enough time to learn these things? Or am I better off learning on my own?

2. Anything you want to learn you can learn on your own using the internet for free and on your own time.

Welcome to 2015.

3. You got a good point. I don't really know where to start since it takes a lot of effort to do it on my own.

4. #4 Aequus Argentum, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
    That's the best part -- you don't have to start anywhere in particular. Just like you don't have to study particular things or follow a particular pre-determined curriculum. When you become an autodidact your learning becomes much more efficient and valuable as you learn what you want on your own personal timetable and on your own personal settings (re: sitting on your couch roasting a J.)

Ever since I graduated high school and speaking to all my friends who attend or dropped out of college I decided to opt out of the formal education system (for multiple reasons) to learn the things I viewed as personally and practically helpful to me -- philosophy, physics, literature, etc. It's incredibly rewarding and honestly, IMHO the best way to learn anything.

5. I thought about it and I talked to a friend who is into graphic design and animation and suggested I take the classes for the basics and to learn more as I go afterwards online and such.

6. man, pay 2 grand just to learn some basics, which you will be learning the harder stuff on your own?

That's bogus

yeah it'll take hard work to learn it on your own, but it will also take hard work studying boring stuff that wont help you in your specific goals.

Aequus Argentum knows what he is talking about

7. I guess I am used to formal education. I learned how to ride a motorcycle at this same school and I will never forget all the safety tips. Ugh tough choice.

8. I'm currently enrolled in music school at a technical college in my area. Yes, I can say that I have learned useful information, and I am paying dearly for it.

Looking back, I can say that I definitely could have done this all on my own, with enough efficient research and experimentation.

In a school that's going to teach you an art though, do you really want to learn a set of rules and all the things that everyone else is doing? Or would you rather develop your own method, a way in which people can truly identify and relate your own works?

9. #9 Superjoint, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  10. IDK, i know 3 people that design websites for a living and have never taken a course or anything.

11. True and another good point. It is an art form and I should learn to create my own style on my own.

12. I never learn on my own as well as when taking a class. I don't do nearly as many of the exercise on my own as I do when they are assigned. I read textbooks on my own but I learn the stuff in them much better when I know I'm gonna be tested and I better fucking get a good grade.

But that's prolly just me.

13. Yea that's exactly how I feel.

14. You have to know whether or not you need the structure and deadlines of a class to make you get through what you need to learn. That's part one.

Part two is that higher education is also about networking (to put in sleazy terms) - you can definitely teach yourself how to do a lot of graphic design (although a good instructor with a good eye is more valuable than you could ever guess), but you're not going to be part of a community of people with the same interests that you can get in contact with later down the line when you need advice, tips on where work is, things like that.

And two grand isn't really much to learn skills that can earn you a living. It might seem like it, but it's not.

15. Soo many opinions on this and this is true as well. Gah!! lol

16. anything you want to do in life you will need to learn on your own. The classes will help you get a basic understanding of the subject but if you really want to learn you're gonna have to teach yourself

17. Personally I wouldn't pay for the classes. I like to learn on my own. I'm in college but I never went to class my first two years. I would study the textbook and powerpoint slides for each class on my own.
    Graphic design, being computer related, should have a ton of helpful tutorials and videos online. But ultimately it's up to you.