not smoking = unbearable itching in bed

Discussion in 'General' started by Stangfriik, Jan 8, 2010.

1. I only smoke after work but have decided to cut it down to only weekends as I'm trying to get back in shape from the last 6 months of not working out and eating right. Since I've come to the conclusion that I just cannot resist eating after smoking plus the fact that I don't get home until 11:30pm only to get up at 7:30am when my daughter wakes up, I'd rather not smoke. It also seriously affects the quality of sleep that I get.

I haven't smoked at all this week but as soon as I go to bed, I feel like I am being eaten alive by sand fleas ( I think some call them no see um's or some shit). It's like the itches you get from taking painkillers only mutliplied by 10. I can literally feel a single hair as it moves. It's random also as I'll feel it on my face then my arm then leg, etc. Taking a shower doesn't help either as I normally take one anyways when I get home from work.

I try to resist itching only to have it start to sting to the point where it's unbearable. I end up laying there itching for at least an hour before I fall asleep. I've thought about benedryl but since I'm not sure if it'll help since I don't a reason for it to be an allergic reaction.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. It's all your muscles relaxing when you finally go to bed. Smoking probably took the edge off before so you didn't have it then.

Drink some warm milk/tea (or whatever helps you relax :p) and chill a while before sleeping, see if it helps.

3. Never thought of that but it's a good reason considering I work in a hospital so I'm constantly moving. The problem is that I get home so late, I need to go to bed as soon as possible if I want to get at least 7 hours of sleep. Sometimes I don't get home until midnight or later depending on how busy we are. I may have to hit up my doc for some ambien or something.

4. you have scabies, i say this because the same thing happened to me like 6 months back, then i started smokign again the itch went away then i hadda quit ssmoking again for a drug test teh itching came back went to the doc they gave me some cream now im fine...

5. Wow, I 've never heard of that berfore.

Qutting makes me restless and I can't sleep so I gave up on the idea a long time ago.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a pot head through and through. There aint no way I'm quitting again ever.

I love my weed and my sleep. :smoking:

6. Holly crap; that's news to me.

7. If it were scabies, I would think that smoking wouldn't make them just go dormant though. Plus I don't have a rash or bumps like all the reading suggests. I'll give it another week to see if anything appears but I would think that my wife and/or daughter would have symptoms also considering the close constant contact we have.

8. I don't think lack of smoking is the cause, maybe it is caused by bed-bugs, there are thousands in your bed. Try sleeping on a sofa for one night and see if you itch - if you don't consider washing your bed frequently.

9. I'm gonna smoke tonight just to see how it goes and I'll report back

10. I had a friend that had really bad itching. He tried a lot of different stuff and nothing gave him relief. He started thinking it was a Government conspiracy, that they had put something in the water and that it was causing his soap not to rinse completely.

His two roommates and his girlfriend got the same symptoms about the same time.

He didn't have a rash or bumps. Pot would give him some relief.

He finally went to the doctor. Sure enough it was scabies. The doctor said he probably got them from a stray dog he had rescued.He got a cream and they were gone in less than a week.

11. Maybe it is just nerves. You could try a beer or wine.

I feel for anyone who has to go with out. That should be a crime against humanity. :p

12. it's happened to all of us.

13. ya dude. when i dont smoke, but i know i have pot. I get this crazy urge to smoke and ill toss and turn until i smoke and then ill pass out hahah

14. Well that sux. Come to think of it, one of my co workers has been complaining about itching also and she even had what looked like razor burn but she said she wasn't from that. I wonder if we got it from a patient we both were in contact with. Damn hospital life

15. Well I talked to my coworker and she hasn't been having the same itching so I don't think it's scabies.

I also smoked last night and didn't go to bed until 2am instead of right after work around midnight. I'm wondering if my skin is just really dry since we've had record cold temps for the passed couple weeks in Florida. I think I'm gonna try to go to bed without smoking on Sunday so I can then rule out the possibility of it being my muscles relaxing from work.

If it still itches, I'll apply lotion the next night and go from there. I gotta rule everything else out before actually being convinced it's scabies. If all else fails, I'll schedule an appointment with the Doc to see if it's scabies.

16. It could very well be dry skin. In the winter months my skins drys out something fierce. I get HORRIBLE itching fits at night, but with no rashes, and only in the winter months. Try using a hand cream or moisurizer on the affected area, that always seems to help me.