Not really sure why my plants are dying...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Comfreyovereverything, Jul 11, 2017.

1. If the ground under each is different they might drain differently. Also outdoors might be getting a bit too much rain. Its possibly a combination of things resulting in poor root health.

Dig a pint sized hole close to a healthy plant and sick plant, fill each hole with same amount of water, see if theres a significant difference in the time for the water to disappear. It might help diagnose a drainage issue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. We have been getting quite a bit of rain... I've only watered two times I think (to put the Neptune's and water the ironite in). Hopefully we get a streak of nice weather to dry em out. I'll try what you said as well, thank you.

3. So I applied the ironite three? Days ago, went out today to check them.. Keep in mind this plant got almost twice as bad as this... So bad I seriously contemplated ripping it up. This is the first time it's had dark green growth in almost a month, I thought the pale green was it's transition to outside at the beginning.. A big thank you to @wetdog for suggesting it. Everyone else, I appreciate the help offered. I'm glad I caught it now, my ghost train haze has started flowering. IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0467.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  4. Looks like Wetdog made the right call. Kudos to him. That's impressive growth after just 3 days.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That first picture is actually a couple weeks old, it's growth was really slow though. The growth is great but even the almost white leaves that had just a little green on them all seem to be just coming right back instead of dying off.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LOL, I amazed myself with that call since it has been well over 10 years since I last ran into it, but the pics and more so the description just rang a bell. Glad it was a good guess, but it was a very common problem in SoFl with a mostly sand top soil and daily rains in the summer.

Did listen to my own advice though and filled a coffee jug with Ironite since some of my plants are showing the same symptoms. I keep jugs of kelp, neem, gypsum, lime, soy meal and bone meal in the garden area to use as needed and now, the Ironite. Saves time and climbing stairs to where the bulk bags are kept.

Re reading the ingredient list on the Ironite bag after so many years showed me that it provides way more than just the iron and zinc suggested on the front. I was impressed.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. I'm definitely grateful for it... It was killing almost all my crop this year. The ironite did impress me enough to start using it in my own mixes from now on. Now that I think back on the ones in my greenhouse, they did get shovel full of the native clay I was digging added into their soil mix, must be why they never got affected by it?

8. Now for an update... It seems some have gotten better, while others are still getting worse. I'm confused, they all got the same amount of ironite watered in. The purple streaked stems stick on all the ones not getting better. Again, thank you for any and all help. IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

9. IMG_0516.JPG Then there's a few that look like this..

10. From what I see they are all tremendously healthier than your first pics. My guess is it will just take a little longer for some to completely recover. Purple stems don't necessarily mean anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Really! ^^

Give them some time. I gave up worrying about purple stems years ago because it was like chasing your own tail and never really amounted to anything.

IF there are other issues they can be dealt with when they have more time to recover, but overall, they look 1000% better than those first pics you posted. Plants, like people, recover from the same trauma at different rates.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Really! ^^

Give them some time. I gave up worrying about purple stems years ago because it was like chasing your own tail and never really amounted to anything.

IF there are other issues they can be dealt with when they have more time to recover, but overall, they look 1000% better than those first pics you posted. Plants, like people, recover from the same trauma at different rates.

13. You guys are probably right, it's my whole years medicine so I tend to over react. This Medi kush was one of my best looking when I first started treating these... Maybe it just takes a bit to fully reverse. It's almost like they swapped good for bad (lol) IMG_0519.JPG

14. Now, this is where I get real hesitant, but fixing the Fe/Zn deficiency doesn't mean that's ALL there was. That general light green looks like it's low on N, but IDK. A pic on a screen is way different than in person and natural light.

But it does seem to be pretty even and would still wait a bit before adding anything else.

15. No you're right, it's light like a nitrogen deficiency. All the sick ones start out like that then just get worse. At the beginning I was feeding them Neptune's harvest fish & seaweed for nitrogen deficiency, it seemed to do absolutely nothing though. I'm wondering, could it just be that I under limed my mix and the soil pH is just off?

16. IDK, I'm not there and don't know what you did for liming, like just what and how much. Also, I have no experience with Neptunes harvest.

Usually, if I need a maintenance shot of N it's usually Soy meal or neem meal. For a blast of pure N, a light dose of blood meal, but that's rare. I do next to nothing in liquid form since I need to water nearly every other day, outside. Liquid stuff would just wash right out.

You know, you can top dress lime if you have to. Not prefered, but doable.

Do you have any dry N sources you could top dress?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I actually top dressed one plant with lime yesterday (just to see if it helps) I also put about 2 tablespoons in a couple cups of warm water and watered it into another plant then mixed up the first inch of soil. I mainly did the last part because I know lime isn't water soluble but I wanted to see if the warm water breaking it up real fine kicked it in any faster (probably not) but I like doing the comparisons. I've got alfalfa meal laying around, that's good nitrogen right? I believe the ironite had some as well, maybe just taking its time.

18. Alfalfa is a bit hot to be messing around with. Mayyyyyybe a real light tea, but you'll need to research that, it's been years since I've messed with any.

19. I have fresh comfrey growing as well, it just has PM all over it... I could always go buy something new, really up for about anything. Here's some pictures from today. The first being the Medi kush from last pic post. IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

20. Do you have any neem cake (meal)? Or any other seed meal, besides the alfalfa?

I like alfalfa in mixes, but after learning the hard way I'm real reluctant to use it on growing plants.

Lately, I've been alternating soy meal with the neem meal in my top dressings.

• Like Like x 2