Not looking so good

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by zyxwv88, Dec 30, 2010.

1. #1 zyxwv88, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
    Yesterday my plant was looking like this: (sorry about the large size, not sure how to resize the image)
    [​IMG]

But today it's looking a little more shriveled. It seemed like it was ready for some more water, so I gave it a little, but I don't know if that's the only problem. The leaves are less open and seem to be shriveling a little. Any help is appreciated.

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

Oh, and it is a Strawberry Cough plant. I have 12x26w CFL lights that they are about 9" away. Using Miracle Grow organic soil and haven't started with any nutes yet other than the soil (which had some bone meal and blood meal mixed in)

2. The leaves are feeling a little dry and almost crunchy. I was wondering if they got too hot or too dry. I gave it some water, but I'm not seeing any improvements, even thought it's been about 4 hours.

3. Check your temps and your Ph. What kind of water are you using?

4. Temps may be high, although I don't have a thermometer yet to make sure. PH is 7, although when I watered today I added some water that was about 6.5.

I'm using plain tapwater that has been left open to let any chlorine evaporate. The water here has always been pretty decent and I've used it for my fish tank without any problems. I don't know if filtered water or something would be better.

5. Naw tap water is fine...
    Its going to live as long as you dont fuck with it too much. The more you try to play with nature, the more it bites back. Shes pretty new, let her do her thing. Dont drown it, but dont let it get too dry. She'll live. She wants to;)

6. Thanks everyone.

I *think* I figured out the problem. I swiped my outdoor thermometer box (one of those decent ones that sits indoors and has a wireless transmitter so you can see both the indoor and outdoor temps. When I put it in my box, it says that I'm up to about 91 degrees. I'm probably cooking the poor thing.

I checked the runoff PH and it's about 6.5. Thanks Theinkman26, I didn't know how to check the PH and hadn't thought about the runoff.

I was going to buy an inline duct fan to get some better airflow tomorrow, so if it's just heat, then it should hopefully survive that long. I unscrewed about 5 of the 12 CFL lights. I figure that should help let the temps cool a little until I can get the new fan, and I think a little less light will be ok as long as the temp goes down.

I'll keep you guys posted.

7. Well, here is how my plant is doing today. In some ways it looks better, but the bottom leaves are getting dryer and brown. Is it still likely to recover, or what do I need to do to keep it alive?

IMAG0115.jpg

8. Thanks all for your input. It looks like she's coming out of it. The leaves that were on there aren't looking great, but there are tons of new little leaf buds that are just growing like mad, so I think she's recovering.

It seems that it was just the temps. 95 degrees was just roasting her. Once I got the temps down, I think it was just a matter of leaving her alone and letting her do her thing.

Here are some new pics of the new bud development.

IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg