Not enough lighting & growing partner is messing up schedule?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by misstifa, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Okay, so, I started some seedlings under one CFL thinking I'd get a few more lights in a few days when the funds were available. However, it has become obvious that they are not getting enough light. They are getting so tall they're falling over, and yet there is no leaf growth. Will getting some more lights tonight/tomorrow hopefully be enough to save them?

Also, my growing partner is listening to NOTHING I've suggested/read about the light schedule. I wanted to do 18/6 for growing and 12/12 for flowering. He wants to do 16/8 the entire time! In any other scenario, I'd ditch the partner, but it's my husband. I don't know how to convince him otherwise other than linking/showing things I've read... but he still thinks he knows more than this ENTIRE forum! Will this lighting ruin our plants? :(

2. You're husband is a dumb ass (sorry, but he is) and you need to put your foot down since you are the one with the knowledge. Best way I suppose to prove him wrong is to purchase a grow book like Jorge Cervantes Grow Bible so you can show him the proper way to do things, from a book written by a recognized expert.

3. I am trying to enforce the 18/6 but I work and he doesn't so it's very difficult. I think while they're still really young (they're only a week ish old and have only been under the light for about 3 days now, had them in a window before that), I'm going to make their "dark" time in the night while I'm here and force the 18/6 because there seems to be NO logic behind the 16/8. If there was something ANYWHERE that seemed to confirm this was even a viable method I'd be okay with it but how will the plants ever know when to flower? Not just that but his explanation is it's "what he did before" but to my knowledge all the plants he ever tried to grow with friends were ripped before they were harvested, always due to security issues... so the "experience" still has no proof in yield.

Sad thing that I don't even smoke anymore because of the profession I'm in school for; he's the real smoker and this is to save money for his personal use. Think he'd be all about doing it right :p

4. And he's not a dumbass about everything but as far as this goes I totally agree.

5. only one thing you can do leave your husband

6. and honestly light schedule during veg growth doesnt matter long as they are getting atleast 14 hrs light a day. i just go 24/0 and see good results because marijuana is a weed and thus grows like a weed and thus does not get over saturated with lights like some plants. some plants require down time mj no

7. ahhh marital bliss..

Your partner or husband needs to get into these forums and do a little sticky reading before jumping to conclusions.

lower your light(s), get some air circulating. Not to close or you may risk heat stress and light burn to your seedlings, otherwise they will stretch and reach for the light they desperately need.

Treat as you would any garden variety seedling.

Assuming your not growing an auto flowering strain...

--- During the spring and summer the angle of the earth allows for longer days and more direct rays of sun light.. or your 14+ hours, though 18/6 seems to the conventional light cycle

As summer fades and fall approaches the tilt of the earth shifts, and the days get noticeably shorter.

from the tilting of the of the earth on its axis and the shorter days light is perceived as more yellow, and orange.

As plants evolved, this change in light triggers the plants to start thinkin, time to hurry up and start making flowers to make seeds and reproduce before winter comes along and the ground freezes. Surival of the species :) thus the need to simulate what the plant thinks it knows and change the light cycle to 'force flowering' ---

8. so theoretically 16/8 would work as long as we switch it to 12/12 for flowering?

9. how the fuck is someone gonna deny fact, your hubby is gonna make things complicated just make him do the bitch work at the end lol im sure he can work a pair of scissors however he wants without ruining it
    and your plants will grow under 16/8 but 18/6 is better since the plant will take in all it can for up to 18hrs after that it just has a plateau affect

10. I believe this has already happened. I did not realize the CFL had to be within 4 inches or so of the plants, and so they were too far away. I just moved them closer and am going to buy some more light fixtures today. However, if they're already stretching and falling over, is it too late to save them? I'm considering staking them with a straw/toothpick. They were doing great in the windowsill. :( Damn apartment complex and security though, can't keep them there past a few days old....

I'm not sure what strains these are, they were bagseed since its our first grow.

11. yes missy 14/10 would work fine but i think you would see slowed growth for veg. at 12/12 the plant releases a flowering hormone

12. #12 samson32, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
    Why don't you just show him with the forum.. Tell him to ask a question or to explain his method and see if it is the correct way to grow.. He will have people swarming him with are you ridiculous.. Why don't you read a little bit..

Once he starts seeing people are completely against his way of growing he may start to turn around a bit.. If he is still giving it to you then have a contest.. Let him get the supplies for a girl and let him try to grow it himself..

You then have your own girl and properly care for her with the right soil.. Right nutes.. For lighting go in between with 17/7 and if you need any ideas for cfl's I use 92 watt bundles for my vegg room that are simple to make.. :wave:

:smoke:j

The only thing I can think of as to why he doesn't want to go 12/12 is maybe him and his friends grew autos.. For autos you wouldn't change the light schedule you just leave it at 18/6 all the way through..

For the stretch problem when you transplant just add in soil up to the cotes.. The stem underneath will turn into more roots and the stretch will be eliminated..

With cfl's remember 100 watts for the first and 50 there after.. You want actual.. Not equivalent.. So make sure to look for that smaller number on the box..

13. i hope you dont plan on harvesting in an apartment cuz your neighbors all around will smell that no doubt

14. thats not true otherwise my plants would eventually slow to nearly no growth

15. yes it will be fine as long as it gets 14 or more hours of light

your growth rate may suffer a bit though but they should grow fine

16. Well I'm sure someone somehow has done it before? That has been one concern of mine though. It's only 6 plants of bagseed though, and we're not even sure if they're all female yet

17. Good news, you may be able to save them with TLC...

Personally I would hope for the best and prepare for the worst. (start over if too tall)

Hopefully you can scrounge up another couple o seeds just in case

There are some pretty and simple homemade cfl light hangers and reflectors in the diy subforum

18. im guessing you do more then 18hrs of light, anymore is pretty much just wasted energy considering cannabis efficiently processes 16 to 18 hrs anymore and it has a decline in effectiveness. you can harvest and grow an excellent crop under 24hrs for veg with no problems, just dont need that much so your wasting energy and it will add up over a couple months

19. some strains dont really have much of a smell during flowering but some start having an odor in veg not something you would wanna leave to chance. im sure some have grown in apartments just get some good ventalation and odor removers so you dont have to worry about it

20. #20 Inthedirt4good, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

click on the pictures to view the thread, these are not my setups..

there are loads of configurations and ways to build simple cheap reflectors.. One using a soda can..

give yer ole man a project to keep'em busy :cool:

((edit, sorry bout the huge image there, unable to resize for some reason)