....not a place for politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skoinkins, Aug 19, 2009.

1. after posting on and off for the 2 years i've been at the city i've finally realised political arguements just don't work on a forum, i like having a good conversation with someone, and it's good to see both sides of the arguement, but it seems that there is far too many people here who have no idea what they are talking about, yet have an opinion about everything, i hate having to explain to people what i'm saying, so they don't say my point was stupid, just because they had no idea what i was talking about. perhaps an advanced political forum? where you get banned for posting too much bad information? i don't know but something needs to change in order to give this forum any kind of credibility.

2. I thought for sure this was going to be a thing on MSNBC.

InB4 Maxrule and his photo albums

3. I used to post from a pretty ignorant point of view in here, i think it just takes exposure

4. I think the Internet is, in general, a bad place to discuss politics.

It's too anonymous. Not that anonymity is a bad thing in politics, but it's been well-documented that the total anonymity offered by the Internet generally fosters bad manners and uncivil behavior, and if someone is behaving like a jackass towards you, you're probably less likely to consider their point of view seriously. And you're less likely to make any effort to be correspondingly nice to them, and the cycle feeds on itself until no productive discussion can take place on highly-charged issues.

Ever notice how on most forums that have existed for more than a year or two you NEVER see discussions about abortion? It's because the discussion can never remain civil for more than a few posts. Someone has to pipe up about killing cute little babies or hating women, and there goes the neighborhood.

5. It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a "dismal science." But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. - Rothbard

This quote sums up the majority of people on here. Politics is an economic subject, yet most people can only think so far as to how it makes them feel inside.

6. A picture is worth a thousand words. :D

[​IMG]

7. lol. great photo. :D

8. hahaha

9. I'm going to be honest, I find many of your views to be nuttier than a bag of almonds, including the implicit victimization of taxpayers conveyed in that picture, but damn, that's funny. :)

10. correct.

duh.

11. personally i think if people were more mutually-respecting, and shared more of a "although i don't agree with ur views, i'd fight to the death for ur right to express them" stance instead of looking at everyone who is different as a threat. we may be better off, in conversation and society.

12. I'm pretty sure if we all had a common enemy we would help each other out. I have a feeling if this board got shut down by the government or something we would all end up fighting on the same side.

It is easier to find cooperation and respect in that kind of situation, otherwise people will bitch at each other because that is just what we do.

13. #13 Z3N, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
    it's funny cause i can identify a few enemies to non-hostile hemp lovers
    unfortunately i know exactly what you mean

14. I came to the realization that the Politics forum here is full of nutjobs, whack-a-doodles and conspiracy theorists a LONG time ago. What makes it worse is that this is an MJ related board, so you'd think that the members would be much more down-to-earth and less politically conservative...but then again there's that whole "expectations" thing again.

I don't even bother with it anymore. The trolls in the forum have made it unreadable.

And yeah, Politics, on any forum, are too contentious and too argumentative to have a reasonable discussion. Hiding behind your computer screen and ranting and raving is far too easy.

15. i'm sure there are people payed to put posts up intended to spread disinfo or rile the masses. it take two to agrue, bicker or fight. what helps me is identifying it before becoming involved in it.

16. If you want to talk politics, don't do it with friends or family members if you are on opposing sides...why harm the relationship?

What better place to vent your concerns than the net? Sure there are idiots, racists, etc., but there is also information you may not have picked up on from the biased media. There's nothing wrong with talking politics...especially if you want to get involved in changing what you think is wrong with your government. I've learned that not all my beliefs were correct which is a good thing.

People who don't like the back ad forth ranting and debating never seem to skip over the politics section...only come in and say "why can't we all get along?"

Politics are ugly on all sides, but that doesn't mean we should close our eyes and ears to it....sometimes the roaches need to be pointed out to those who think they live in a clean house.

17. lol, illuminating. some live their whole lives without becoming one with that piece of wisdom.

18. Well said. A political discussion shouldn't harm a relationship. Just because two people disagree on political matters, doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't be friends.

I know that I've learned things from posts in this forum and I bet I'm not the only one.

19. I NEVER discuss politics with my in-laws - they are Mormons living in Utah, which is more conservative than any other state in the Union. Discussing politics is a recipe for disaster.

What makes it worse is that my MIL works for someone who gave $1,000,000 to the Yes on Prop 8 campaign in California - what can I say about it? I mean it's my freaking MIL, she's helped us on so many occasions, but her politics and those of her employers are diametrically opposed.

I got into a Facebook fight with my SIL over Prop 8 too. They just don't get it that it's discrimination, plain and simple.

20. When have conservatives ever been the conspiracy theorists on internet boards? :eek: