northernlights' experimental outdoor coco coir grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by northernlights4, Jun 21, 2010.

1. since i found out very few ppl if any at all are doin journals like this i figured i might as well share my experience in tryin to grow outdoors with coco ive been reading alot of the forums here and before that i memorized jorge cervants' medical growers bible so were kinda far i think planted in may 5 manitoba poison only 2 sprouted because of neglegence (got baked and while i was passed out it started raining ridiculously hard out and it didnt stop til morning) then planted 3 random bagseed and 2 sprouted they are just for more ornamental and experimental purposes than anything but they seem heartier and faster growing than the manitoba poison will post pics as soon as i can get a camera and figure out how to post pics on here

also a note i havent found a thread yet that has grown mantioba poison if anyone could direct me i would like to see some bud pics as i have only seen pics from the breeder site

2. Looks like we are set for an adventure then...new strain in coco outside. Exciting! :hello: Thanks for being a trailblazer here. We will get to see pics right? :D :wave: :smoking:

3. yea as soon as i can figure out how to upload them without them bein traced back to my comp im kind of a sketch bag like that lol

4. so nothing new today really i told my partner in crime ( hes the one who went out and found all the spots dug the holes ect..) about how no one else has really done a grow like ours on here before so he said he would be down with making an account he also tole me he has acess to a private proxy server which makes my day happy cuz then i can get pics out to anyone intereted in readin this without legal consiquence for the most part

5. Cool man, the guy at the hydro store was trying to talk me into coco but I was/am a little unsure. Are you going straight coco? coco/perlite? ground or pots? My main concerns were it drying out too fast outdoors in the summer, and wanting to use organic and non-coco nutes. best of luck, will definitely be watching. :wave:

6. Love your Avi..huge Tool fan myself. Coco can go organic (mine is) so I would imagine it would work for you just as well as soil. My little girl went 13 days without any water if that helps you any. :wave:

7. #7 northernlights4, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    i am doing a roughly 75 to 25 of coco to perlite cuz i kinda got a passive hydro thing goin til they go in the bush i was thinkin of just stickin them in the ground but according to my partner the water table was less than a foot below the ground in some places so i was thinkin some kind of hempy bucket with a bigger rez in the bottom for prelonged waterings i may go 100 percent coco when i go outdorrs depending on the weather here springs and summers tend to go from really hot one day to torrential downpores the next so i need something that can stand the overwatering and i think coco will be able to handle that from what ive seen from eds new guide its almost impossible to overwater coco

8. another day another update

everyone seems to be doin good i am concerned tho cuz the new growth on my oldest baby is yellow not all over just in the center of the fan leaves the tips are still green im not too sure if im givin enough nutes gonna get pics up as soon as possible ( dont have a camera) cuz just reading everything with no pics must get pretty boring soon as i get pics ill make it more of an official journal with tds readngs and such also wanted to ask about ph meters all the ppl in the gro shops here are very against but everywhere ive read ppl say its a must just wanna hear some pros and cons about gettin one until then its the ph drips for me lol

9. Pictures are always nice. ;) From what you say, the new growth is coming in light then it does sound as though they are hungry. Coco is very forgiving but still you have to ph it and a meter sure does make it easy.

10. i checked the tds and ph both seem reasonable considering my tap water has 140 tds to start with had a ph of about 7 after putting 1/4 strength nutes and 275 ppm used 1 drop of ph down and brought it to 6 (only have drops for now but better than nothing) i remembered yesterday that i diluted the rez with distilled water cuz i was afraid of nute burn so i gave a direct feeding of some nutes and most of the yellow is gone we will see what happens

11. #11 northernlights4, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
    another day. another update. another picless update :(

saw the ph was up a bit so i added some down to make it 6 again new growth seems alright im a bit concerned tho the leaves seem to be a bit twisted and theres some brown spots on them but the leaves are turnin green now im gonna go pick up some cal mag today cuz it looks like that might be the problem from what ive read also the new growth has very distinct ridges between the leaves wondering if i could flush or not cuz it seems like salt build up from what i have read

so i looked around and im pretty sure i have a manganese deficiency or a magnesium im thinkin manganese cuz its only affecting the new growth anyone got any reccomendations for fixin it? from what ive read all u do is leach the soil (flush?) and add superthrive pretty much (exact words are a complete chelated micronutrient formula) im pretty sure thats all superthrive is any help would be greatly appreciated

12. went to the store got some cal mag came back new growth was twisted with brown spots and yelow new growth i flushed immediatly and on the last gallon ph'd it to 6 and put 1/4 strengh calmag and sensi grow irrigation ph was about 7 but last gallon brought it down to 6-6.5 with about 400 ppm i hope she does alright but its all about new experiences right?

13. It does sound like Mag def and the CalMag will certainly solve that up for you. Pics would help to really make sure though. 1/4 strength though is what? Less than a teaspoon per gallon? If so, you might want to up that to 2 teaspoons per gallon especially when they go into flowering. Alatar has had great success with that amount to fend off the deficiencies.

14. lol im really bad with imperial as i live in canada but on the back it says 1.38 tsp per gallon but i put about roughly .5 mL per liter ill probably bump that up to 1mL per litre see what happens

15. so i came back from work today and she looks much better not so much yellowing the leaves look a little fuckee but they arent droopin and they even grew some looks like my lower leaves are gettin little rusty spots i think that might be because i gave them water right from the tap so i made an extra 2 containers and will try to remeber more often to fill the empty ones when they are done both me and my partner in crime have been busy with work but i promise when i get ahold of a camera im gonna spam this thread with lots and lots of photos (at least the eds will be happy aout this lol)

16. Sounds like you are on the right track then! Looking forward to the pics. We'll be here when real life gives ya a sec. :wave:

17. Hey NL! Get that camera fixed!! LOL Hey you can upload pics on the site, jsut go to Photo gallery and make a new gallery and you can upload there. That's what I do. If you're worried about any tag info just open the pic in some graphics software, like Picasa (I use this a lot) and export it as a new picture. That should remove the tag info.

Anyhow, I think your ph is a little high. Magnesium has a hard time over 6.5, not to mention phosphorus and potassium. Try dropping to 5.5-5.8 for a bit. Adding nute lowers the ph so that's a great way to drop it LOL

Good luck man, can't wait to see!

18. yea i mixed some stronger formula today and made the ph between 5 and 6 closer to 6 gave her a small watering of that and she perked up right away looks alot healthier i think i have a problem with gnats i know my strawberries have been ravaged by them but i think theyre gettin to my babies so i been soakin them with neem oil i took the one in coco out of the tray to let everything dry for a bit so those dam gnats stay away i dont think they have really affected i only seen one of two around the plants but i wanna make sure so i dont have to deal with that later on in the season

19. Good to hear they are picking up! Fly paper works really well with those damn gnats, some diatomaceous earth is really good too.

20. transplanted the 2nd runner up into coco today may have stunted her cuz i tried gettin off some of the dirt and i may have broken a few roots i know the main root ball is intact tho so i hope nothing to bad happens this coco was mixed with dolomite lime this time iono if i added too much i used about a handful on half a brick approximately from what ive read tho u cant really add too much and if i did ill just flush the bitch. this diatomaceous earth sounds like something i wanna try where can i get it and how do i pronounce it so i dont sound like a jackass when i go pick it up? lol