Northern Lights x Big Bud 12/12

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Brady Kincaid, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Welcome to my new journal... This one is going to showcase my NLxBB, which just went into 12/12. I took two small clones from her (hopefully they root), leaving the ten largest branches for flowering. Side branching is really thick, so I'm hoping for some decent buds. Running at 800 ppm.

Onto pics!

Canopy, side, and next to tape measure... She's about eleven inches tall, no idea how much she'll stretch.

Attached Files:

2. I'm pulling up a chair. I've got some NL x BB seeds I have been thinking about running next. How long has she been vegging?

3. She started as a seed four and a half months ago. I've done a lot of training to keep her this small for so long, but she does have a lot of bud sites and a massive root ball.

This is supposed to be a 100% indica strain, but the leaf structure on this pheno is very sativa... I'll be interested to see what yours looks like when you get her going. In any case, I'm expecting good yields off this strain once I learn how to prune her right. :smoke:

4. First signs of preflower! Saw a couple calyxes, and a couple with tiny little pistols shooting out. No stretch yet, but she looks good so far. I expect her to be in flower within the next few days to a week, really excited to see what this one will do. NLxBB is by far the most vigorous plant I've ever had, side branching is ridiculous. I just hope the way I trimmed her up works well for bud production. I could have let her veg one more week, but I really have to get the flowering cycle running to make room for the next plants. :smoke:

5. Officially in flower tonight or tomorrow. Stretch hasn't started yet, but I give it till the weekend. Pistols starting to pop up on most tops now, and they're almost full size now. I'll get some new pics up in the next day or two. Hoping her clones root soon, I really don't want to cut off any of the ten tops that I've left for flowering.

6. Looks like roots are popping out of the two tiny branches I took as clones before 12/12, so I shouldn't have to worry about taking any off the ten that are left. Hopefully they root in the next couple days...

We're calling this day 1 of flower. Pistols on all the tops now, and stretch has officially started. There is new growth on all tops, but one of the thin weak ones in the middle seems to have stretched the most so far, by about an inch.

I've got a shot of the canopy, then one of the side, followed by four bud shots. I'm really excited for this one. Four of the ten tops have so much side branching that they're already the width of a soda can. If all that space fills with bud, I'll be a very happy man. Hopefully the t5s can handle it... :cool:

Attached Files:

7. she is looking good dude, i'll grab a chair and see how she does.
    middy

8. Welcome to the show man, glad to have you here.

Plenty more pistols coming in already, starting to fill in on lower side branches. I had the camera out for the QWISO I'm making in my other journal, but nothing exciting enough here to warrant more photos, lol.

Finally have a confirmed root on one of the clones. Only a sixteenth of an inch, but it's all I need. Glad I won't have to lose any more tops :hello:

9. Lookin good. :)

What light ya running? and what hydro style?

I put my seat in front of middy's ;-)

10. Thanks for joining.

I'm running a 192w t5 fixture. Eight 2' bulbs, each 24w @ 3000k. I'm far from being ready for HPS. I can't yet control that kind of heat, and I'm paranoid about RF interference from a digital ballast.

I'm running a pretty standard ebb & flow. I've got a shallow bucket with flood/drain fittings filled with hydroton resting in a deeper bucket (same brand so they nestle together) being used as the res. Very simple, very cheap, and relatively effective. :cool:

11. [quote name='"Brady Kincaid"']

Thanks for joining.

I'm running a 192w t5 fixture. Eight 2' bulbs, each 24w @ 3000k. I'm far from being ready for HPS. I can't yet control that kind of heat, and I'm paranoid about RF interference from a digital ballast.

I'm running a pretty standard ebb & flow. I've got a shallow bucket with flood/drain fittings filled with hydroton resting in a deeper bucket (same brand so they nestle together) being used as the res. Very simple, very cheap, and relatively effective. :cool:[/quote]

Nice... Sometimes I wish I went t5 instead of mh/hps. I have seen many a quality crop grown with t5's

I am in the process of converting my 8site waterfarm into a 4site ebb&grow. Either that, or I will diy from scratch. My lady doesn't want me to "ruin" it after we spent "so much" money on it. She doesn't care that we already paid for it several times over now, lol. I see her point though. :-/

12. just don't put a big hat on or i will fart :p.
    middy

13. Once I can grow medically, I'll likely make the switch to hps. Till then, I have to keep things stealthy as possible.

I am in the process of replacing the ebb & flow myself. I'm thinking about trying a semirecirculating DWC, or using the ebb & aero I do for veg. I think DWC would be more forgiving, but I don't have any idea how to keep an air pump quiet.

Anybody have any good suggestions?

I can see not wanting to spend more as well, but as long as my grow continues to pay for itself, my girl doesn't mind if I splurge a bit here and there. :smoke:

It's a small room... definitely not big enough for a giant hat, or noxious gasses, lol.

14. I tore apart an old memory foam pillow, and my air pump rests on top of that. I am assuming you are talking about the vibration noise?

15. have a look at jj's set up , no air pumps needed ;). post 1554 http://forum.grasscity.com/hydropon...h-hps-4x8-scrog-ebb-gro-monster-grow-104.html

middy

16. That is exactly what I'm talking about. I tried folding up towels and blankets, but they didn't seem to work as well as I wanted them to. Does the memory foam do a pretty good job? The noise from the pump doesn't bother me so much, but the vibration can get really loud...

17. That's pretty awesome, that's almost exactly how I plan to set mine up. The only reason I am not planning to stick with ebb & flow is that I hate cleaning hydroton... DWC or ebb & aero make for easier cleanup between rounds. I will be building a stand for my buckets though, and I've already got my main res picked out. Instead of a controller bucket, I'll be using pvc.

18. try hanging your pump on a rubber bungie, it stops a lot of the vibration.
    middy

19. [quote name='"Brady Kincaid"']

That is exactly what I'm talking about. I tried folding up towels and blankets, but they didn't seem to work as well as I wanted them to. Does the memory foam do a pretty good job? The noise from the pump doesn't bother me so much, but the vibration can get really loud...[/quote]

I placed the air pump on the foam. To keep air pump above water level, I set it in an unused waterfarm bucket. But that vibrated like a mofo. So I then inserted a cardboard piece under the bucket. I have close to zero vibration noise. :)

Hope that helps.
    ForumRunner_20120927_174312.png