Northeast Storm

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by ShastaCola, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Whats up city. Just got back home and thought I should write this story of my day. The day started normal. Woke up a bit late and decided not to till later as I'm trying to cut back on my tokin. Just hung out at home for most of the afternoon. The entire day was forecasted to be raining so it set for a dreary day. Family came over and had dinner. Later in the night I get a call from my friend Mike to go chill at his house. On my way there I had to cross this road but the intersection was flooded. I'm now forced to turn right and make a u-turn which didn't come for awhile. So I'm able to get back on the right track when my Mike calls again saying he left to my other friend's house and forgot to tell me earlier. I get pissed off a bit about this because this friend is in the complete opposite direction of where I'm going. So I felt it was justified to smoke the last bit of the blunt I was going to smoke with him.

So finally I get to my friend's house and walk inside. I take my shoes off so I don't get the place all wet and muddy. To get to his room, I needed to take through a room which had a window overlooking the driveway. As I'm walking, I see outside a small flash with a bang that seemed to shake the house. I shrug it off and start to walk upstairs. Upstairs his sister shouted "What the fuck was that?" This is when I realized that the bang may have been pretty loud. My friends ended up being in the basement wondering why all the lights flickered.

So my friend turns on the light to the outside and we get a clear scene of the devastation. There was a fucking tree on top of my car. As soon as I see this I run to get my shoes and look at the damage. Still it's pouring outside and I'm getting soaked. It was a pine tree which made it really hard to see through. I may have gotten lucky as it seems that only small branches hit the hood. Couldn't really tell since the pines blocked a clear view of the hood. I look further down and see what monster really came down. This thing fell from the neighbors yard which would mean this tree is about 4 or 5 stories tall. I have no idea what to expect cause this fucker was tall and the topmost part of it hit my hood. But it had the be the most perfect height as when it fell, it knocked down the cable line and the power box off the side of the house. That caused the flash outside. Had to call the police to tell them. Pretty much told us they can't do anything and we can't do much. Since it's Sunday now, there's a small chance there will be someone working to remove the tree. Also the cable would need to be shut off and that won't happen till monday probably. So basically I have no car for a some time.

Luckily my friend was getting off work soon so he's able to get me home. Now throughout the day it had been raining. During the drive back we see so many places flooded by nearby rivers. I never thought of my house which is on an island during this. So as he's pulling up to my house, I see how bad it is here. The lake was the highest I've ever seen in my 19 years of living here. Little background on the lake, it used to be a large pasture but in the 1930s they decided to make it into a lake. Because of this they need to maintain it once in awhile. Just recently in the fall they made the edges nearby the street higher. Because of this, water did not flood over. Going across the bridge to the house felt so strange seeing the water so close.

So right now just hoping the rain will let up just so the dam can do work and prevent my home from flooding. Also I feel so fortunate on the incident. If I were only 2 minutes later in getting to my friends house that tree could have came down on me. I'm not too upset since there's any material damage. Have fun with all the flooding northeast.

2. So today in the daylight I was able to see the extent of the damage here. On my way to church with the fam, saw a river nearby flood out a small town. Pretty scary images to see. I know there has been worse but for me it's chilling to see this in your backyard. Was able to go to my car and check that out. May have gotten very lucky and there may only be a dent on the hood. Since it's sunday still, finding people for this will be hard. I'm still amazed how close it was. Usually I would have parked a little lower down his driveway which would have crushed my car. What sucked though was while we were looking at it, it started to hail and rain hard. This is basically a "fuck you" from nature.

3. Yeah. I live in one state above you, and it pretty much rained all weekend. The river down by my house is all the way up on the road too.

Its better than being snowed in i guess.

4. I live in north jersey too and the wind was just fuckin nuts

5. Yeah I live in central jersey and the wind and rain was ridiculous here. I'm on my droid right now cause the powers still out lol

6. So the tree was finally cut down yesterday. Amazingly, there are no dents or any damage to the car, only scratches and a shitload of pine sap. That will be fun to clean I'm still unable to move my car since there are live power lines on top of it. Power company is slow in shutting this down since they already have on their hand. So until they finally get this all done, I'm still stuck without a car.

7. I live in NW New Jersey. I was without power for two days. What a way to end spring break.