North Korea

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chronitron, Jun 24, 2009.

1. So I was signing into Yahoo today like any other and I saw this story's headline, "North Korea accuses the U.S. of provoking another war and warns it will wipe America off the map." N. Korea threatens US; world anticipates missile - Yahoo! News

Now from what I understand, the North Koreans are testing some short and mid range missiles and is saying that if anyone tries to intercept them or their ships or their rockets while they are doing so, "the army and people of Korea will ... wipe out the aggressors on the globe once and for all."

So does this mean that we may have a possibility of actually going to war with Korea this time? I mean check it out...
    2009: Testing short-, mid and long-range missiles, self-proclaimed "Fully Fledged Nuclear Power"
    2006: Nuclear Testing
    2003: Withdrawing from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty
    2000: Knowledge of Taepodong 2 missile which can possibly reach Western Coast of US
    1998: Testing of Taepodong 1 missile which can reach Japan

So what do you all think? Do you think this or next year will finally be the year we go back to the jungle? Or do you think this is all going to be something that blows over like every other 3 years and just builds until the "prophecised" armageddon of 2012?

I'm really interested to see opinions on this, as it could really affect our military and how thin we can really get stretched. Mine will come in time. I need to do some more reading before I say anything.

2. idk man.. the world is fucked up right now.. that's all I can say. It's the real final comedown.

3. I think they are just flexing their muscles, and we should rightfully stay out of their business. Why are we conducting military operations off their coasts?

They aren't threatening preventive war, American style, they are simply threatening retaliation in the event of an American provocation.

4. Yes, if I understand it correctly, NK wants the US to stop trying to provoke another Korean war, but what are we doing? I haven't heard anything of another Korean war... perhaps the US is up to no good again :cool:

Anyways, I understand the need for nuclear disarmament. I don't think the ability to take 100,000 lives with one bomb is an accomplishment we should be proud of, but once again, I don't think anybody would flat-out nuke us randomly. We're doing something to piss them off, and we're not quite saints ourselves... so let's stop fucking with them and maybe they won't fuck with us :)

5. It's steadliy building. Every conflict in the world that would lead to massive conflict is slowly growing in intensity.

It's funny (ha ha:rolleyes:) that 2012 is around the corner because if I had to predict another conflict I would say that if it happens it will probably continue building over the next few years (whether this is in anticipation of conflict or an actual conflict gathering momentum is to be seen). I hope everything blows over or is worked out with words, but I realize such a hope is simply a daydream.

I feel that the world is covered with gas and every country has been given a box of matches. This however, is all my humble opinion. Off to smoke a European and watch Sonny Chiba....:hello::smoke:

6. I just don't understand why the US can't just tell NK that we have no intentions with them what-so-ever. Leave us alone and we will leave you alone, whether or not NK is nuclear or not doesn't make a difference in how we should treat them.

7. Are you familiar with the first Korean War?

The existence of South Korea is a bastion to American imperialism, no matter how you slice it.

8. fuck North Korea

/thread

9. If they so much lift a finger on the launch button the whole world will aim there guns at North Korea. Wipe America off the earth? who are they kiddin? World > North Korea.

10. I agree, chances are we will be able to hit them much harder before they hit us.
    They'll try, fail at first, and then we'll have a big problem.

11. Not true in a sense. Russia and China hates us, and Iran's new president wants us gone. They could be a major force. But, North Korea shoots that missle over here, guarentee there won't be anything left of their country. And if you fire first, I don't give a shit what is the result from a comeback. They don't know who they are fucking with.

12. *Facepalm*

why on earth do you think russia and china hate us? We're there number 1 customer! No, they don't hate us. Hell China is actualy cracking the whip at North Korea just because the fact we so tight.

13. #13 XxGanjaXXGOD, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2009
    are you retarded?russia hates us for sure,so does china we have had many problems with them in the past and by no means do they like us or should they like us.

14. george bush would have slapped thier ass....

and mr. bush had allready told the people of IRAN that the u.s. would support them if they ralleyed against thier government,,,and obama has allready kissed the saudi king's ring....and he's praising his muslim heritage,,, across the globe,,,

..so why do you think korea aint scared of the repricussians of thier actions ?

because they know,, that OBAMA dont have a spine...:cool:

15. i actually preferred bush compared too obama.flock obama,bush would have most likely sent troops to north korea by now.....obama is just an american terrorist

16. Nuclear weapons can certainly wipe ANY country off the face of the Earth. America alone has enough nukes to effectively destroy the Earth as we know it.

I hope we don't end up fucking things up - like somebody said - by sending troops there (won't happen), or by putting too much ease on the situation and not pressuring North Korea. We certainly can't let North Korea do whatever the fuck they want, but it is hard to negotiate/pressure a rogue nation.

Just one more possible war waiting to happen . . . .:(

17. If there's one thing I've learned it's that history tends to repeat itself.

Remember the 1930's? The great depression? Something came along and pulled us out of that depression -- WWII. It created thousands of jobs, our economy was in great shape after the advent of WWII!

Post war era -- GI's came home, economy was not in a slum anymore. Most of the car company's were contracted to manufacture tanks and other vehicles (think about how great it would be if GM got a contract to make 150,000 Abrams tanks before they went bankrupt). All of these car company's could potentially be saved. No more government 'bailouts', but legitimate contracts to the US Government.

I'm anti-war, to be honest. My point is this; if we got into a war that was as big as WWII, our economy would take care of itself. The problem with the war in Iraq/Afghanistan is that it's not a big enough war (compared to a war that could potentially pull us out of this 'recession') to require contracts and more jobs here at home.

I'm not advocating another war, nor am I completely disregarding the fact that it could potentially help the economy.

I'm just questioning the fact that what if... What if we did go to war with North Korea, and they allied with China and we allied with the UN. It could possibly be much greater than WWII.

Though, I fear the outcome would be much more frightening than post-war WWII.

I'll leave you guys with a quote;

18. Nice Einstein quote, thanks man.

19. you know what nothing ever happens were america so suck our dicks and pussys and doggy assholes

20. I don't fucking understand this about most americans. The first thing they say when some country is threatening us is: "WE'RE GONNA KICK UR ASS IF YOU FUCK WITH US!!!"

WTF!! Has everyone completely forgotten why the fuck there's still a North Korea anyway? Because we couldn't beat them!!!!!(Granted, McArthur did absolutely fuck us by repeatedly chasing troops well into China)

America's great and all, but we can't assume we're going to win evry war. Absolutely no army in the world is going to have a classic battlefield war with america. They would resort to Guerilla tactics just like every other war fought in Asia. And in doing so, will most likely eat away at the army. Not so much the numbers or power, but morale. Like the VC said, "We're willing to lose 10 men to every American GI killed."

We have a pretty poor history in fighting guerilla tactics, so I don't see how people think North Korea's defeat would be both quick and easy.