NORML Freedom Card, Know and Understand Your Rights

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by IndianaToker, Feb 17, 2005.

1. thanks that card is super-useful! and to those who wonder why bother? if the cops dont honor these rights, then your case will be overturned, which means no matter what u got caught doing, it doent count in court. be smart, good luck, and stay stoned!

2. I THINK -

If you are not under arrest, and you have not gotten a ticket, the cop can't force you to stay.

You can politely ask if you are under arrest/getting a ticket, and if not, you can politely tell the officer you are leaving.

If someone could confirm that, it would be nice.

3. Does this work for Canada too????

4. No you don't TELL the cop you are leaving

You say "Am I being cited or detained or am I free to go?"

Any interaction with police and your mind should be on what will hold up in court, whip out your cell phone and start using the voice recorder as it's not in anyway in his legal power to take away that right while your not being detained.

5. Exactly, if he's just giving you a ticket and you bust this bitch out he's gonna have reason to think you have pot and your screwed.

Just know your rights. (or carry one of these around discretely to remind yourself)

6. Just downloaded the PDF, thanks for the post. :smoking:

7. first off this card is asking for trouble- yes it is very helpful to know your rights but if u pull this out when you get pulled over your pretty much telling the cop you travel with bud because your "prepared" with this card and ur just asking to be searched.

ive been in this situation and it sucks- i learned the hard way after being arrested and my lawyer told me that when asked by the officer if they can search- ask them if you have a choice- if they say yes (which they should) then say ud rather not.

i have found a better way though which for those of you drive mom or dads car this will be a life saver- if the car isn't registered in ur name then you can pull "officer im sorry but its not my car and i can not consent to the search" they will have to contact the owner of the vehicel and that is a hassel for them- if u dnt have something for them to really go on they will most likely let u go :)

GOOD LUCK!!!

8. Quick Note: These are your rights, you have them no matter what a cop says. In reading or writing we have them. And from the way the card is reading, the cop might get scared of the big scary company on the bottom, fearing a law suit. So they would release most likely. Save them a lose case against drugs which is going to piss the DA off when they present the case. America likes to serve justice, but only justice is served in their eye when they win a case, if they dont think they can win they wont put forth the effort. BTW i am a rambling stoner so i just go on and on, i even go on and on about on and on, i just confused myself. :p

9. this is cool and all but as soon as you whip out that card the cops are going to bust your ass for some weed. if your in a situation where you have to use this card you should just be looking for the first opportunity where you can break out running

10. Cops know what NORML is. It doesn't matter if these are constitutional rights. The cop will most likely use the card as a reason for search. Think about it; if a cop can search you simply because there's a small chance you have weed, a cop will search you for having a "legalize marijuana" advocate group card stating reasons not to be searched.
    I'd say read and memorize the card. And go further, memorize as many rights as you can. Or blot out the NORML title at the top.
    This is a great idea, but it's really sad how invasive cops are allowed to be.

11. I printed 20 of these out. Just don't be a prick; the police have to respect your rights. Simple as that.

12. You know thats a smart thing to do. I seen a cops ep. the other day where they rolled up on a guy that was smoking a blunt. THey walked to his window and he told them straight up he had a joint and that he had panic and chewed it up. The cop ran his name came back he was clean. The cop told him to spit it out and give it to him. He gave it to him, and the cop gave him a small fine and let him go. Honest goes a long way in the eyes of the law.

13. Is this card okay to use in Ontario too ?

14. Ok so I've read all this a couple times and here is my question.

Ok so a few months back me and three of my buddies were blunt cruising (stupid idea I know but it was our buddies birthday so we agreed) and we got pulled over. We didn't have anything in the car when we got pulled over. So the officer asked the driver to step out of the vehicle and ends up giving him field sobriety tests long story short he ended up with a DWI and the other two and myself ended up with a very long walk home.

So my question is had my friend had known his rights and invoked them would they have been able to give him these tests?

Thanks for any input

15. Under driectives by the constitution I would have to say, they shoudn't be able to because this violates the 5th Constitutional Amendment, self incrimination.

But none the less I should kick your friends ass for drinking and driving, IT IS DANGEROUS!

16. Alright thanks for the input

Oh and im sorry I should have made it more clear he wasn,t drinking he got the DWI for beeing high.

17. YEAH alright!!!

18. What country do you live in. I know in Ireland if you are under 18 it is illigeal to search you without a parent/gaurdian or a member of the police there.

They can ask you to empty your pockets but you can refuse. As for lockers and bags, they have the right to search them but they can NOT search you. It's to do with kiddy fiddling laws. They are not allowed to put their hands on you without being supervised.

I was asked to empty my pockets when I was in school but they couldn't make me as I was under 18 but they did search my locker and bag. Got me to sit in the office until my parents arrived, at which time I emptyed my pocket. Didn't find anything but still. They asked if I wanted the police or my parents to come in. Ofcourse I said police (as I knew I had nothing on me) but they called my parents.

You shouldn't be smoking in school anyway

19. yea, i think it thinks a great card but agree with the nay sayers lol.. If you show this to a cop hes going to see the NORML acronym and suspect something, then, like the above said, say ANYTHING to give him probable cause and "search the shit out of you" ( i chuckled when i read that) but really.. this is going to lend more suspicion to him..

Just learn your rights and assert them yourself, dont leave it up to a piece of paper.

20. ha ha ya right, kis if ur in high school u dont have ANY rights at all, not even the freedom of speech