NORML Freedom Card, Know and Understand Your Rights

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by IndianaToker, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Honestly, I'd rather take my chances and be straight up and honest with the cop. If you whip this card out and be all defensive like that...the cop might then have reason to be harsher on you for giving him a time like that.

I think if you were to just be honest and be like "Ya man, I got a lil bud in here..not much just was going to a friends house to smoke some" he'd probably understand and be cool with it. At worst, It'd probably be they'd just make you dump it and step on it along with any pipes you got so long as its not a lot... From my experience: Cops really like it when you are straight up with them and let them know you understand there job and just flat out admit you are in the wrong...I'd rather have them like me for that and give me a break then me be defensive wipping out cards with my rights and not cooperating with the man.

Just me =\

But I've gotten out of many tickets for my loud sound system (over 150 db..two 15 inch kicker L 7's on a 1500zx.) just by telling the cop ya I know I shouldnt be bumpin like that I was just havin a lil fun..next time I'll be sure to take it to a park or something. And I've gotten off with warnings like 5 times like that. If I ssaid "it wasnt me" or any other crap to give him a hard time..I bet I'da gotten tickets.

So my advice: Be cool with the cop..could go farther than youd expect. Hell, chances are he may smoke bud himself.

2. Honestly, that's way too risky. lksdjflaksd

3. Not in many states..as long as you don't have a ton on you. There are many states where the maximum fine for under an ounce of possession is just a fine around $100-250...misdamenor. If you live in a state where you can be incarcerated for possesion of low ammounts..then ya..it can be risky. But if you only get a fine..like me..its no big deal.

4. I disagree. It may not seem like a big deal on a small scale, but in the spirit of the movement, it is a big deal. It's the principal of the thing, you know? I'd rather use logic and intellect to use the constitution to my absolute full advantage before I settle for being punished for something that isn't even unethical or in any way harmful. I know I'm not feeding the money mongering system with my hard earned dollar just because I have to travel with green once in a while. Plus, think of all the green you could buy with that $100-250 if you just be smart about traveling with bud and avoid self incrimination at all costs.

5. I would say don't use the physical card, but be familiar with everything on it. These are your rights as an american citizen. I feel like cops get away with a lot due to peoples lack of knowledge on their rights and just get taken advantage of by law enforcement. Know your rights, memorize the card...don't just hand it to an officer.

6. I'm gonna carry this card every time I don't have any bud on me :O

just to piss off the 5-0

7. A police officer can arrest you for anything except speeding(to a point). Even something as simple as not using your blinker. If they can arrest you, they can search you(as in your person), I'm pretty sure they can search your car too. But point is, act cool, don't get busted for having 3 lbs. in the trunk because your dumb ass forgot to wear your seat belt lol. Also, if they can SEE any thing bad, they'll search your car, so don't have open beer cans and shit.

AND REMEMBER, IT'S NOT ILLEGAL TO SMELL LIKE BUD :D

8. lol cops get drugs tests, but i get your point ;)

9. its not illegal to smell like weed. if thats their probable cause, your defense in court would be, "how do you know what pot smells like?" or "was your nose working right?". that will defeat them in court, so some may not even search you, IF they ask to, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and say no.

10. Cop: Do you have any marijuana
    You: No but I carry this marijuana card around to let you know of my rights

Uh huh.

11. It's a good idea.. But i doubt it will ever work. When i got pulled over i did not consent to a search, and he just stated in his police report that it smelt like marijuana, and i ended up doing 2 days in county, and getting 6 months probation.. Just be smart when traveling with it, and dont have it on you unless you have to, would be my best bet.

12. #72 CREAM, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
    Ahhh hahahahha +rep all the way.

The internets can now be closed down, this man has unlocked everything.

Greatness in action ladies and gents.

On a serious note, knowing your rights is probably a great idea...but in your head.

Can you imagine how hilarious it would be to see a guy blazed out of his mind, getting out of his car, locking his doors, fumbling his keys, fumbling his wallet and then handing this nifty little card to serpico as your ace in the hole? Would probably be pretty legendary.

P.S: When it comes to knowing your rights and how to be safe with pot, Barry Cooper's dvds have some sound advice in them

13. good point, never thought of it that way :hello:

++rep

14. *Arresting officer on the stand*

DA: How did the defendant respond after being arrested for possession.

Officer: He said he had no idea he was carrying any marijuana. He said he had a card though to defend the rights of pot smokers.

15. I think you have to use your judgement. Very occasionally you might be able to help yourself by invoking your rights to prevent a search, but in most situations I think it would just piss off the cops, and unfortunately they can do pretty much whatever they like.

16. You should never consent to any search, your job isn't to send the cop home happy. So what if he gets pissed, grow some balls he's not there to help you.

17. Yeah, if you're not a pothead I doubt you'll be carrying a NORML rights card around.

18. #78 CREAM, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
    There's a problem with that. If you deny a search, you better make sure you have your t's crossed and i's dotted. The cop will get a K-9, that's a damn near certainty. Meaning you better make sure you can avoid the following:

Is your weed stashed so that a drug dog won't be able to find it and smell it? Do you know how to prevent that from happening? Yes there is a way to elude a drug dog, but it is specific. And worse yet, cops do and have been known to trick their dog into false alerting to compile their "evidence."

Is your registration new? Do you have your insurance? Is your record clean? Seatbelt on? Car smells not like pot? Eyes clear? AKA if you are denying a search is your shit straight? A cop will try and use any excuse to infringe and further his cause. Like you said, you aren't there to make friends. Cops are NOT your friend, sorry if this offends you blades, but it is the truth.

The best way to prevent this shit is to drive the speed limit, not 4 over, not 3 under. The speed limit. Drive with the flow. Know the local laws about what amount constitutes what penalty. Don't drive nervously. Use your signal, drive safe. Is your car operating properly(blinkers, headlights, tail lights, brake lights)? Don't avoid eye contact with an officer on the road, look over, look back...act calm. Know how to stash your pot. Don't let yourself be profiled. Take your bumper stickers off your car, don't look like a stoner. The point is to avoid giving cops ANY reason to pull you over in the first place. And if you don't want to do that stuff, then move to a state where pot isn't a big deal, or don't drive with your pot. Otherwise when you find yourself getting fucked by a cop, it was something you could've avoided.

Long story short, if you deny a search, have your shit 100% straight, no questions asked.

PS: For the love of God, if you get served with a ticket, the conversation is over. At that moment you say "officer, you have given me my ticket, taken care of the reason as to why you pulled me over, I believe it is within my rights to leave. Please let me do so." Period. None of this answering questions about your life, no, get on your merry way.

19. I'd say just print out the rights you invoke and make it look like a list that you researched yourself and printed out, all plain, and only use it if you HAVE to, or if you're too high to remember what it says.

20. I don't know if anyone has mentioned anything like Im about to, but...

If you have a cat, and you need to travel with some bud, take the cat with you. Say you're on you're way to visit family and no one could watch your cat.

The cat will throw off the K-9s senses, and with a good enough lawyer, you could probably turn the dog getting alerted to your car to be caused by the cat and making the search an unwarranted one and get your charges thrown out.