NORML’s medical marijuana lawsuit against U.S. government dismissed

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ocsurfer, Dec 1, 2011.

1. NORML

Bummer, but par for the course... :mad:

2. so they dismiss it because it is a schedule one drug...
    and the dea refuses to reschedule it...
    is anyone suing the dea to reclassify it?

3. #4 NefariousBredd, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    The Supreme Court dismissed this based on a Schedule I ruling? Only because pharma can't control marijuana. When pharma sees a Schedule I drug that they can control, they don't hesitate to cash in on it, and the Supreme Court turns a blind eye.

The Supreme Court should show a bit more consistency in how it interprets drug scheduling:

GHB: Gamma-Hydroxybutyric Acid / Sodium Oxybate. DEA Schedule #2010: Schedule 1.

Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote: GHB as the sodium salt, known as sodium oxybate, is sold by Jazz Pharmaceuticals under the name Xyrem[4]

Xyrem: Sodium Oxybate. Also DEA Schedule #2010, Schedule 3.

Xyrem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote: In the US, Xyrem is classified as a Schedule III controlled substance for medicinal use under the Controlled Substances Act, with illicit use subject to Schedule I penalties. Examples of other schedule III products in the US include vicodin, tylenol with codeine, and testosterone.[25] In Canada and the European Union (EU), it is classified as a Schedule III and a Schedule IV controlled substance, respectively.[4]

How convenient.

4. Not trying to be nit-picky but the Supreme Court of the U.S. was not involved in this lawsuit. Also I don't believe that the Supreme Court has any role in determining the schedule of controlled substances.

:)

5. I didn't say "determine". I said "interpret". I think there is sufficient precedent for a more favorable interpretation of marijuana's current schedule I status for use as medicine. Just sayin.