Noobwannb's Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by noob_wannaB, Dec 18, 2012.

1. @Jojo0420 I grow a lot of sativas. I can tell you that even with LST they bolt. I veg for 45-60 in #15 SmartSIPs bending and keeping everything under 12" when I flip them. They hit 4'-5' by the time they stop. FWIW, I think there is a happy medium somewhere in that scenario.

2. #1662 GGinCT, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
    Ficky,

I was really glad that I hung those five clothesline wires across my closet. They make it very easy to control height and also space out the main buds to fill the space. I stretch out the longer stems to a distant tie down and the shorter ones vertically, so they all end up starting at about the same height. And they really don't get in the way at all, not like a full scrog trellis would. I'm going to try to tie the larger stems to the outside and the smaller vertically nearer the center to sort of make a bit of a stadium effect as I assume the larger stems will grow a bit taller than the smaller ones starting at the same height.

Anyhow, it's a thought. Right now I'm waiting for the six clones I have to take hold and green back up. I have some tea brewing, but I'm also inclined to just let them sort themselves out for at least a week or two after transplanting out of 20 ounce cups. And I have an insane number of seeds sprouted and trying to figure out how to get as many to the point of sex selection as possible before doing a SOG seedling trial. This is my homemade Grapefruit X Kalichakra so I have tons of seeds, just not tons of space, I'll be building another closet for the project though.

GG

3. This thread is amazing. I had a question regarding using this method with seedlings, and though I tried reading through the 80+ pages in search of someone else who probably asked the question, I failed to make it through the entire post.

So here's my question - would this work with (or has anyone tried) this method with seedlings/sprouts in SOLO cups. I punctured small holes all throughout the bottom of my SOLO cups (as I normally do), filled the shallow container with perlite, then with water (to an inch below the top) and nestled the cups a bit into the perlite.

The cups will be in need of watering within the next 24 hours, so I set them up like this early this morning and am waiting until tonight to see how the soil feels. It's dry for about 2" down before I hit moisture. The spouts themselves are only a few days old.

Thoughts/comments/opinions?

4. Works great for clones/seedlings

Sent from Mobile

1379254368568.jpg

Thanks! They seem to be doing alright so far. I figured since they were tiny with very little root development that they wouldn't be able to pull water up from the perlite yet.

6. I start all my clones in just perlite like you're talking. Once they have roots (10 days avg), I transplant them into soil, usually 1gal smartpots. The ones in the pic were getting swapped for some new genetics.

Sent from Mobile

Nice! Here's a shot at what mine look like. I have 10-12 tiny holes drilled into the bottom of the cups. In hindsight I probably should have made the holes bigger so there would be contact with soil and perlite but I didn't anticipate using the system this early on. I have the cups nudged down in the perlite somewhat.

IMG_1922.jpg

8. Very nice, I opted to go for more holes, but kept them smaller. Didn't want to have to worry about soil/perlite spilling out the bottom.

Here's what mine look like, you can see how I did holes on the sides too. And I bury them about that deep in my bedding.

Sent from Mobile

1379344499427.jpg

9. My 2 week old seedling is doing well in my Solo cup setup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379382364.915990.jpg

Cup with seedling has slits in bottom, with 1/4" perlite base under the soil to keep it out of the SIP cup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379382462.782533.jpg

:smoke:

10. Just returned from 6 days with family, things are a bit thirsty, but healthy and growing. I have close to 100 seedlings that I need to cull, at this point Im keeping healthiest 2/cup, although Im open to suggestions. Once I build another closet Ill have another 12-16ft^2 to grow out, sex, and flower trial. These are the mutant Grapefruit X Kalichakra(male) cross seedlings.

Im phyically tired and there was some heavy family drama, so Ill try to post some pictures later, the perlite trays kept everything happy.

GG

11. Here's my newest addition to the swick setup:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379867533.424779.jpg

I'm re-vegging my last grow in a #3 Smart Pot. It's in a 12Q pan of perlite and water. It's been in this setup for 2 weeks now, I transplanted it from a 6" hard pot the day I harvested the top.
    It took a week back in a 18/6 light schedule to see any new growth. Now another week later it's starting to burst out. I noticed the first root tip sticking out the bottom of the Smart Pot yesterday.

I've been having a little trouble keeping the top ~2" moist. Not that it's really an issue, should help with bugs. But it's a little concerning to see the top bone dry, also bad for the organic soil...
    I've been top watering a little with a heavy spray or slow pour. Any thoughts?
    My bulbs are only about 10" from soil level because the plant is very short, so they are affecting the water level of the top layer as well. Ambient cabinet temperature is 78F~81F during lights on.
    Hmm... I also have a 12" fan blowing in at plant level on low. Maybe I've figured out the problem myself by just typing all the info here.
    I have a lot of evaporation going on.

Regardless, the re-veg is doing very well. It seems to be enjoying the swick.

12. Odd...I never really had any issues with the top layer of soil drying when I used #3 smarties, but did when I moved up to #7's. In any case, if you cover the top (loosely) with landscape cloth (weedblock fabric) or even plastic that should take care of the issue for you. I usually take a length of material and skirt it around the plant rather than trying to cut a hole in the center or whatever. Works great for me ;)

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Thanks noob! I'll give that a try.

14. The clone bucket is gone!!! Thanks Noobwannab

This is a Jack the Ripper at 13 days. Almost all of them looked like this. Less space, stupid proof, great results! Love the solo cup wick clone.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1380043484.663286.jpg

15. It's crazy how dummy proof and simple it is huh? And you can't beat the results ;)
    For me it's turned cloning into something I don't even need to think about anymore. Last clone I took I didn't even use rooting hormone, but mixed some molasses (dry, just a pinch) in aloe (liquid) then dipped the stem in mycos powder. It rooted with NO die off or browning of any kind. Couldn't tell you how long it took because I kinda forgot about it for a few weeks :laughing: Nice to be able to do that though!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Good to see you around again momma!  :wave:

17. I think the fact that you just set them in the corner and forget them is why it works so well. I couldn't pull any of them out, had to basically dump them slowly upside down they were all so rooted.

18. I have been loving this cloning method. +95% success rate so far. So simple.

Sent from Mobile

19. I'm using 5# smarties. Just transplanted the 12 day old ladies into them on Sunday, and put them into the SIP system as of yesterday morning. Woke up this morning to find the water levels pretty low. I'm guessing the perlite is still soaking up water, because I don't think the plants have been drinking that much. 

Also, the top couple inches of the soil is pretty bone dry :(

20. You will get some evaporation, too. So your water levels will drop. Also, Im sure the soil wicked up a bunch on top of what the perlite holds. I think you'll be surprised at how water much the system can hold.

Read back a couple pages, I know Mrs Noob just discussed methods of keeping the top layer of soil moist with landscape fabric, etc.