Noobwannb's Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by noob_wannaB, Dec 18, 2012.

1. I use a lot of water too. In my shallow trays I use CUPS of water daily in each, but I'm thinking a lot of it is because of two things....I've got 2 mature plants in each relatively small tray (a seed starter tray and a cat litter box) and they're open....meaning there's a good deal that just simply evaporates.

I'm starting a reveg today on my Blue Widow and plan to use a 5 gal bucket with 7 gal smartie on top..should be much more efficient :D

2. My 7 gallons don't fit the 5 gallon buckets. I find the chore pans hold enough for the 8 gallons and there is room enough to pour the water around the edge. I don't water them but every 10 days to 2 weeks.

3. I was just getting ready to head upstairs and get started when I saw this post...you may have just saved me some grief Fayn, thank you!

I've got another oversized cat box on the back porch with 'stuff' in it....maybe I'll clean that out and take it up with me ;) Thank you kindly :wave:

4. Should just convert the bottom of my cabinet into a small tub or shower liner with a drain. Just drain and bleach out between grows or every n weeks/months.

5. Depending on your space available you can get a washing machine tray.

6. I was thinking of getting one anyway just for run off. :).

7. Well I grabbed the cat litter box and bleached/cleaned it then went into the grow room to do the reveg. I got my bucket out and put the #7 smartie on top just to see, and it fit pretty well...might have had 1/2'' or so overhang on the sides but the bottom fit the opening perfectly. I decided to go ahead with the pan though...they're a good size and my grow space is vertically challenged so a 5 gal bucket is added height I really don't need!

I cut a good sized length of landscape fabric and lined the pan before pouring the perlite, then cut it long enough that rather than laying it across the top of the pan and then cutting a hole for the pot, I have enough excess that I can drape it around the pot. I think this will work much better, and I like having the pots nestled down inside the perlite a bit. I'll try and get a pic soon....just wasn't up to messing with it today with everything I had to do.

If anyone has problems (like I did) sourcing perlite that isn't through the roof expensive or bearing the MG label, here's my source

Amazon.com: Therm O Rock RP2CF Perlite in Poly Bag, 2 Cubic Feet: Patio, Lawn & Garden

$20 with free shipping delivered to my door in a box....it's a BIG bag :D

8. Howdy Noob,
    Just wanted to hit you with an update. I took the pots out of the buckets tonight to take another look and lo and behold, I got roots poking out of both pots :hello:...now what do I do :confused:???

Attached Files:

9. #109 noob_wannaB, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
    Umm...clap? Smile? ;)
    This is a good thing.....if you look back at the beginning of the thread you'll see a pic I posted of this very thing as evidence the system works and is healthy for the plants.

It's been my experience the don't continue growing...it's like they get all happy and healthy and have a growth spurt but once they hit air (the perlite is moist but there's an air layer there too) they stop.

Another reason to celebrate...enjoy :hello:

Added: How far from the top (where your plant sits) is your water level?

10. Okay, Im good then. I just wanted to make sure that there is nothing I need to do for pruning them back.

My water level sits approx 2 inches from the where pots meet the perlite.

11. Peep Game :cool:
    [​IMG]

Nice White roots were coming all the way down the perlite into the saucer. I still have a big perlite mess to clean in the tent. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the idea, it was a lot easier to keep it wet this way. :wave:

Attached Files:

12. I like the idea of this however the dry perlite can be harmful when it gets dry. It becomes all dusty.

13. As I understand it, the point is to not let the perlite get dry, its constantly pulling moisture from the standing water below its surface.

14. I wear a dust mask when handling dry perlite.

15. #115 bwitsne, Dec 31, 2012
    Also keep in mind, your nutrient strength will increase as the water evaporates from the perlite. If your solution is too high, you may cause nutrient burn.

16. There's no real solution to worry about except for whats already established in the soil mix and under ideal conditions, the plant is only pulling what it wants. The moisture of the soil facilitates the microbes doing their thing...thats pretty much it.

17. #117 noob_wannaB, Dec 31, 2012
    ^^^^^^^what DD said :hello:^^^^^^^^
    We're using organic soil here...all 'nutes' are there for the taking (in the soil).
    If there's a deficiency along the way (which doesn't usually happen with a good soil mix, but some strains just want MORE) then top watering with nutrient teas takes care of it.

The best feature of this system is that it keeps the soil moist and microbes alive, thriving and multiplying. If you're using smart pots and organic soil it's a perfect set up really (imo).

18. I really like soil mediums and plan to go organic the next round hopefully.

19. Happy New Year Noob:wave:,

Thanks for sharing this awesome thread with the community......I'm a Smart Pot guy myself and have been following your thread with interest. I'm going to have a run at sips one way or another next cycle. Y'all be safe tonight!

Chunk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wow Chunk, that means a lot thank you *blushes*
    It's been almost magic for my grow, just hoping to follow the examples of folks like yourself and share what works.

Happy New year to you as well!
    No problem with safety here...watching the Doctor Who marathon in my jammies with MrNoob and the pooches ;) Gosh I'm old ....