Noobwannb's Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by noob_wannaB, Dec 18, 2012.

1. I s'pose that's up to you NOOB. I've always keep mine full, and by full I mean replacing the water level to within an inch of the bottom of the pot. The only 2 issues I've had so far are the %}#€Â¥~\>%!!! gnats and the one time I got Santa's beard growing on top of the soil of one plant. That (Santa's beard) was short lived and lasted only days.

My thought is (and I have no science to back this up) that the beauty of the system is over time it regulates itself according to the needs of the soil, micro herd and plant. For awhile during the rapid grow phase (coinciding with the santa's beard) it was a little more damp than I was comfortable with, but that again lasted only days. Now as the grow nears it's end the tops of the soil have actually started to dry a bit.

For me, and this is just my opinion, it's been great to let the system ride and allow the plant/soil to pull water as it needs it...like after a super crop when it sucks up the water to repair itself almost faster than you can provide it. And when things slow down as they are now, I know I'm not going to be drowning it. It's hard 'letting go' of the control, but for me it's been well worth it.

Did you read my papawayne quote above about SIPs? ;)

2. Not necessarily. You could cut holes in all the jugs and it would be sort of like tile in a field. (Can you tell I'm a farm boy yet?)

Bottom ground, like near rivers, they tile, which is essentially trenching down the fields and laying in PVC that is slotted, so the water doesn't sit in the field, it remains in the tubes till it gets dry and is wicked back to the soil.

So if you filled your bottom tray with bottles full of holes, you'd have the same, if not more, water capacity with the same effect with much less perlite.

• Like Like x 1

3. Perfect! ;)

4. How far will water wick up through perlite? Like if I have a foot of perlite and only a couple inches of water will the surface of the perlite get moist?

5. Couldn't say, but probably not. In set up I've always added water until the perlite was full and there was an inch of standing water. Then as the water disappears I replace it. If you do it that way then yes. If you put dry perlite in and add an inch of water and consider it done....no, I wouldn't think so. Why would you want to??

Sent from my iPad using GC Forum

6. Merry Christmas Mr. and Mrs. noobwb :wave:

7. Merry Christmas ti you X!! :wave:
    And everyone ;)

Sent from my iPad using GC Forum

8. I wouldn't start with that much water. Just getting an idea of how much i can neglect it. Im probably going to cut a 5 gallon bucket down a bit, fill it with perlite and water and stick a smarty on top.

9. The large cat litter pan I have set up has about 5" perlite in it, I fill the water level to about 4" and have 2-3gal smarties in it and have to replace the standing water nearly every day. The perlite holds a lot of water though, and I've never let it run dry. I'm thinking a 5 gal bucket holds a LOT of perlite, and depending on where your starting water level is, how large the pot is, etc...a week wouldn't be unbelievable, maybe longer.

Let me put it this way...you'd want to test it. After the first couple of days when you know it's wicking you're going to get a pretty good idea how long the reservoir will last. There are just too many variables for me to give you a definitive answer :(

10. I'm all about trial and error. Seems like mostly error lately but it's a goal oriented activity that keeps me from losing my mind.

11. Hi Noob,
    Just giving a quick update on the SIP set up with my buckets. After a few days of sitting in the buckets with the perlite, I noticed that my plants began to droop as if they needed watering. I wanted to hold out in order to see if the smarties would start to wick and provide adequate moisture for the plants...but today I took a peek and noticed that the soil still wasnt even very moist. I took the smart pot out and felt the first few inches of the perlite and found it to be a bit on the dry side :confused:. This is after I have already added approx 3.5 to 4 gallons of water in each bucket...that perlite soaks it up big time!! I added more water in each bucket until it started to come out the drain holes. I also removed a bit more perlite from the top layer in order to seat the pot closer to the actual water level. One of the plants is starting to perk up but one is still sort of drooping. Im keeping a close eye for further observation.

12. That's odd DD :( I really should have stressed the set up I guess when I started this thread....my bad. I'm so cautious it's second nature to me and I forget that not everyone is like this.

When setting up this system make sure to add water until the perlite is wet to the top and stops soaking up water, then add water to the level you'd like it to be at it's fullest. Feel the top of the perlite level...it should be wet.

When you first put the pot on after set up, monitor it carefully for a couple of days to be sure it's wicking and learn how often your chosen reservoir will need to be filled! It's an easy set up and fairly maintenance free but should be monitored closely at the start until you're sure it's working.

Now for YOU DD, it's possible your pot material isn't allowing the wick. You're not using smart pot brand right?
    *Make sure the perlite is wet to the top and the water level is full.
    *When you set the pot on the perlite push it down in a little bit. Not so hard that you're hitting the water level (please!), but be firm enough that there's good contact between the pot and perlite without a cushion of air.

When I first started mine I did that...pushed them down in about 1/3" but now they set right on top and wick without issue.

Also, if your plants are so dry they're drooping please top water them! It shouldn't effect the wicking at all (I top water teas and drenches) and we don't want to lose your girls or even stress them!!

My guess is you didn't add enough water to get the system optimal during set up...that perlite holds a lot of water! If you check it again now after filling to runoff I'll bet you find the water level way down or even dry again...fill it up until perlite is ALL moist and water level is steady ;)

Let me know!:wave:

13. Thank you Noob! You and Faye both gave pretty much the same thoughts as far as top watering and getting this goings for the plants. When I made the first SIP, I let it sit for approx 24 hours before transplanting...but I completely underestimated the amount of water that the perlite would suck up. I added more water to the resevoir yesterday. One thing that I am noticing though is that I really think that I put my drainage holes too low on the resevoir. I should have let the perlite expand from the water and then made the holes. The expansion of the perlite gave me a greater "air buffer" for the top layer of the perlite. Also, my pots are not the smart pot brand, they are this type 3 Gallon Self-Supporting GeoPot - GeoPot. When I got them, I thought that were the same thing since I have never seen an actual smart pot other than online. Maybe the geo pot is thicker material? That might explain why taking perlite out of the bucket and getting the pot closer to the water level seems to work better?

14. Actually I think the thicker the better for wicking...my smart pot material is pretty thick, you can't see through it. It's like thick felt. The landscape fabric I have laying over my trays to block light from discoloring the wet perlite is really thin, but it feels like it may have plastic in it. When I added the layer of landscape fabric I found I had to cut a hole for the wicking to resume.

My guess is it was an error on your part (and MINE for not being clearer!) in not adding enough water. The pots can't wick if the perlite isn't wet ;) And the perlite can't be wet if there isn't enough water to saturate it.

Keep an eye on it for a couple of days...try and keep the water level fairly steady and that will give you an idea of how much water you need to add daily/weekly, whatever. The top of the perlite must always feel wet though.

15. Okay. That makes me feel better. I didnt really have anything to guage for comparison.

Please dont beat yourself up over it. Im sure its really something simple as me needing to get the perlite passed the point of saturation. I know that you mentioned that you have not really done this with buckets yet so Im hoping that you will be able to take my mistakes and use for when you do.

Im on a little holiday vaca so I will be able to eye and tweak it over the next few days. I'll keep you up to date.

16. I was gonna call BS on this.... buuuuut....

I'm in the middle of testing this.

But I took a 8"*8"*10" Tupperware container, filled it near full of lava rock pebbles, put about 2-3" of water in the bottom before I put the rock in, to insure the top couple inches stayed dry.

I put a folded up towel on top of the dry rock, and a mason jar on top of the towel.

Its been maybe an hour, and the towel is getting damp...

So lava rock pebbles may work in place of perlite.

As porous as lava rock is, I can't imagine it won't wick.

17. Well here's my stand on it...
    I guess I shouldn't have said lava doesn't wick, because I haven't tried it. I used perlite because it's what I had, and was going to try hydroton next just as a test because some folks are hesitant to use perlite. Sticky, who's been using lava rock I believe said it didn't wick and I took it at face value. I've never used hydroton and figured it was so similar to lava why bother....if it doesn't wick I have no use for it, just an added expense.

Sticky's set up is wicked by the soil itself like in a sip bucket, and the lava rock is to take up space. Is it possible t wicks and he doesn't realize it? Sure. I can only say what I know...I know the perlite wicks. I know that smart pot brand pots, and hard pots (if pushed down far enough into the perlite that the soil makes contact with the perlite via the drain holes) wick. I'm sure other cloth pots wick as well but I can't say for sure because I haven't used them.

I've stated that I enourage variations, experiments, improvements, feedback, troubleshooting, whatever....so call bs on it, try it and let us all know what happens ;) You won't hurt my feelings or anything, and it may help someone else considering the same. :D

18. I didn't mean to sound rude when I said calling BS.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Hopefully there's no hard feelings, may make a difference if he's using lava rock vs. lava rock pebbles.

Pebbles = more surface area.

19. I've never checked if lava wicks or not. I use pretty big pieces of lava in my setup 3/4"-1 1/2". I have a soil wick so I've never tried it. I was speaking from the gut. Maybe a smaller denser packed lava would work. IDK. Test and report back. That's awesome if it works. Same goes for hydrotron. I see my hydrotron dry out when it drops below a certain level. That's what led me to assume it wouldn't work well as a wick.

20. Not at all, nor did I! Apologies if I came across that way. I have a lot of pain and sometimes post/speak bluntly just because I'm in a hurry to get it said then go lay down or whatever. Gets me in trouble sometimes with those that don't know me. So no...no hard feelings I hope!

I meant I guess I encourage people to experiment, find what works and what's best for them. If they are kind enough to post back their findings, then we all benefit which is great! If not, then maybe just their own grow will be improved and that's ok too! For me, as I've said it's all about healthy plants :wave:

I appreciate you AND your participation...even said so when I rep'd you. I generally don't rep rude people :laughing: