Noobie needs help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by emerson bigguns, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,
    This is my first post so please forgive me if I breach any protocol. I have these two week old plants that I started from bag seeds. I have no idea what strain they are and was wondering if anyone might be able to identify this strain from the leaf structure.

Also, can anyone tell me what is causing the leaf necrosis?

I am using a top-feed bubbleponics setup under a mix of CFL's and LED's. I gave them no nutrients for the first week and then added a small amount of Greenair Products Hydroponics grow #1.

This is my first ever hydro grow, so I am quite sure I am doing something wrong  :smoking:

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. You cannot identify strain by looking at a plant. It'd be like guessing the last name of a stranger. 

That sure is an interesting system, I've never seen anything like it. Don't you have problems with splashing? 

Check your PH. Also, what temperature is your reservoir?

The shitty part about hydroponics is the amount of care that goes into keeping it where it should be. If you have no PH meter, you might as well stop while you're ahead and transplant to soil. 

The leaves look over watered to me. What's the inside of that container look like? 

I'd suggest switching to a DWC and using your pump to put air into the water. As long as it's moving the water around, you should be alright. I usually throw a pump in the bottom and point it straight up. 

3. They look like they are lacking oxygen. What litres per minute does your air pump push out? I recommend at least 1 litre of air per minute per 2 litres of nutrient solution

If you fill your reservoir you won't need that top feed. Are you measuring your PH and EC/ppm every day? It's important to keep your PH between 5.5-6.5 and to work out whether your EC is rising or falling

4. photo (2).JPG View attachment 1297595

Thanks for the help. I have tested the pH with strips but I need to get a meter. The water tested at 6.8. As for the oxygen, I have three aquarium pumps going to four airstones but they were clogged until yesterday. Really boiling in there now.

I also changed up the top feed system (see pic) but it was already clogged this morning in spite of the filters. I like the idea about filling the resevoir, but also, soil is the medium I am familiar with. I wanted to try this method because I read on Nebula Haze that it would yield the most bud for the buck. Thoughts?

5. #5 dishphead, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
    theres some truth to that, but you have to set up the system correctly. having your reservoir water exposed like that could lead to potential algae issues and who knows what other pathogens end up in there.

your airstones will continue to get clogged up as long as you have soil in your netpots. remove all the soil from the system, block up any holes properly, and like the other posters said, fill your res up unless you want to make it a recirc top feed drip system, in which case I suggest you get some more tubing to direct your solution straight to the base of the plant.

EDIT: saw second picture, I saw you got some more lines to run to the stalks. You might want to switch over to solid tubing from clear tubing. again, algae prevention in mind.

6. Ok, here's my take. Ditch the soil in the nets, use hydroton, or something like it. cover the empty pots so light doesn't get into your resevoir. Switch to solid tubing again to keep light out. Root rot is a problem with hydro if you don't get light and O2 figured out. look at the rating of your pumps, 2-3 liters per gallon of resevoir water will help your plants grow better. I hate to say it but your feed system is ugly. Since you are running 5-6 plants this is how I would feed. top feed.jpg

7. Good advice from everyone. Thanks!

8. If you're running soil in your net pots, that's the problem. Your plants are overwatered. Definitely ditch the soil as soon as possible.

9. Yes, thank you. I started the seeds in potting mix and transfered into the gravel. Live and learn, I guess. The problem has been corrected and they are recovering well.
    How much, if any, nutrients should be added to the water at this three week period?

10. Looking at the plants I would guess at about 0.4 EC but only you can know the exact figure buy testing the solution every day

11. Thanks! How does one test for nutrient content?

12. #12 GoldGrower, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
    Test the solution with an EC or ppm meter and write it down. Then test again 24 hours later.

If the figure has risen, then the solution is too strong so add more water.
    If the figure has fallen, then the solution is too weak so add more nutrients.

Test and adjust every day to keep the strength in the optimum range.