Noob with some questions,please help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by spugly, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hi there party people

Im totally new to this so please dont flame me,ive done loads of reading and researching but i have some questions that experienced growers will find very easy to answer

right here goes,ive got a stealth box that ive made,it measures 61cm in height,its depth is 52cm and is 35cm wide,im going hydro so i have a light proof box,air pump,ive got 600w hps lighting(got for free off a friend)

My question is 1.if i have good air intake and exhaust are these light going to be ok(as stated i got these for nothing)
    2.my seeds have germed and have the first set of round leaves,when would the be good for placing in the box
    3.how far do i have the lights from the little babies

ANY advice would be great,muchos spugs :wave:

2. [​IMG]

put your plant in your dwc once the plant has established roots... usually after the third set of leaves

3. Thanks Tihspeed,thank you for your quick answer,is the figures on the left in inches or cm,muchos spugs

4. Hi peeps,is there anybody out there who can help with the above problem,thanks in advance

5. that 600hps is overkill...

6. Thanks micro,I take it I need to make it taller but how far should the light be from the babies,I see the above picture but the measurement on the left has no units,would they be inches or cm,thanks in advance

7. put you hand over the top of the plant if you can't keep it under there for 1min without your hand getting overly hot it's way to close, and for seedlings you need that 600 HPS a couple feet away, that is a super strong bulb, way overkill for your grow box specs...

8. Thanks micro,that makes sense,I'm going to build a box to stand stealth box on,poss get another 2 feet,hopefully that should give me a monster stealth box,oh well bob the builder here I come lol

9. That chart says right at the top it's in inches...

Your space is 14x20 inches by 2 feet high, that's tiny for a 600w.

Your question ultimately is impossible for anyone but you to first answer ("if i have good air intake and exhaust are these light going to be ok"). How a light works in a given space is situation-specific, you will have to experiment to find out, but I will say that on paper it seems too small to be able to keep temps in range.

Go ahead and put the sprouts in the box -- as opposed to where else would you keep them?

You can see from the chart that a 600w should be 8-29 inches from the plant tops -- these are just rules of thumb, but give you some idea of what's feasible. I don't think you have the height. Your light hangs down into that height and the plant's pot and its own height take up some of that vertical space as well, you will be left with only a few inches of airspace between them if you keep the plant very low and in a very short pot, which means you are using a super-duper light to grow a tiny plant, doesn't make much sense.

You need a bigger grow space or else mothball the 600w and use CFLs.

10. Thanks toasty,a fresh set of eyes spotted the inches,im in the process of extending the height by 28 inches but still keeping it "sort" of stealthy,the sprouts are in a propergator and have just the one set of proper leaves