noob seeking opinion on correct lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jclaxton78, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Hi People,

I purchased a 2x2 tent and a Mars-Hydro II 400w, in which the actual wattage is between 177-200 (based on either veg. or flowering switch). That puts me in the range of 43w-50w per square foot. I've read that 50w/sq.ft. is the optimal wattage. I'm hoping this will do the trick and the only concern I have is, will I have enough coverage when I lower the light for the flowering stage. I guess it depends on how many plants I have. I would like to be able to do 4 but not sure I could pull it off in the flowering stage (due to the lowering of the light and hence decreasing of footprint). Although a couple others have said YES. I also plan on using LST.

What do you vets think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. You must be high , 2x2 is good for one plant

• Like Like x 4
  3. oh my god i died laughing a little

4. #4 jclaxton78, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    I'm a complete noob. If I didn't use LST, I can surely fit in more than 1 plant. Maybe that's what I'll do, SOG style. And I double checked, my tent is actually 5 square feet. So probably 4-5 with SOG and 1-2 with LST.

Glad I can provide a laugh or two. But I did come here for assistance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi jclaxton, the coverage of Mars II 400 is 2.5x2.5, so it enough for your 2x2 tent. during the flowering stage we would recommend the hanging distance is12-18 inches above the plants

6. Thank you Sara. I realize that, but 2.5' x 2.5' is the coverage at 24-30 inches away. What is the coverage AT 12" or 18" (flowering stage)? It has to be much less. Those are the important numbers that I don't see.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Your tent is 6.25 sq. ft . 2.5x2.5= 6.25
    4 plants would give each plant less than 15x15 inches

8. No, the coverage of the light is 2.5 feet x 2.5 feet, the tent itself is 2.25 x 2.25. Sorry for confusion.

9. #9 jclaxton78, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    My mistake, the tent is actually 5 feet (correction above). That would give me 19 inches per plant if I grew 3 regular. Or 30 inches if I grew 2. What about 1 low wide one with LST? What do you suggest?

10. my typical plant grown in a 10 gallon airpot is about 2 feet in diameter,and even then I have to prune it to keep it that small. That light will cover one plant. You could grow in one gallon pots and cram four in there. That would be considered sea of green or SOG. Start with one in a five gallon or bigger and after the harvest you will see more how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I grow in a 2'x3'x8' cabinet, SCROG three plants per cycle. That is pushing it to the max for plants!

• Like Like x 1
  12. what size containers are you using? or are they all in one?

13. thanks guys!!! appreciate the input.

I guess I'll figure something out.

14. Three gallon fabric pots, they are awesome for new growers also. Very difficult to over water your plants.

15. Hi jclaxton, the 2.5x2.5 is the coverage at 18' away, you see the 24-30' is the recommend hanging distance when you start to switch the light.

16. #16 dickie fickle, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    2.25 ft = 27.0 inches
    30 / 3 = 10 inches each 30 / 2 =15 inches not 30
    27 /3= 9 27 / 2 = 13.5

• Like Like x 1