Noob questions. Just want to confirm some things

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by zizou21, Nov 5, 2010.

1. OK GUYS i'm finally about to start my first grow, :hello:, I just want to make sure i've got this down..

Firstly, Once the seeds germinates, I'm going to plant it into a moistened (150-200ppm nute solution) coco/perlite base. From here, I do nothing, leave it in the dark until it grows about 6" (about a week?) and then I switch on the MH lights on a 16/8 schedule and begin feeding it nutes every couple of days.

I'm going to be using CANNA A+B and CAL-MAG, starting at 1/4th of the recommended instructions(starting once the plant grows 6"), and then I work my way up to full strength. When do I want to be at full strength? 3 weeks in?

Another question, do I need to use Canna Rhizotonic Canna and PK 13-14? I've seen lots of people say they use these, but i'm not sure what their function is..

OK so when the plant is about roughly half the size of my grow tent, I will put it into flowering. I'll deal w/ flowering once I get seeding and vegetating straight..

Thanks for any comments guys!!:smoke:

2. wow I don't think that's going to work. they need light long before they get to 6"

3. Ok I really wasn't sure. So start the 16/8 MH cycle as soon as I plant them in the coco?

Another question: When people say Add 150-200ppm nutes, do they add this number on top of whatever the ppm of the water is? eg: if my water is 200ppm, feeding the plant 200ppm of nutes would make the total solution 400ppm. Correct?

4. I use canna coco, I have posted a small grow journal, so here is my attempt to help. bear in mind im new to this to and what works for me might not for you, that over here is what i did.
    Germinate your seed, put it into your pre soaked coco, cover in cling film/food wrap and turn your light on 24/7. I leave cling film over my small pot till the seedling pops, it retains moisture well and high humidity.
    I remove it after then keep the light 24 inch away and set my light to 18/6.
    I keep the seedling moist with plain water for the first few days, the second leaf set should start to begin.
    From this point I used Canna line as per their web calculator schedule,
    Coco | CANNA UK
    I haven't added Cal Mag or any other product to my grow, things are going well.
    I can heartily recommend rhizo and cannazym they work as intended.

Hope this helps

5. couple of things posted I will answer the best I can.

I would use a clear 2 liter bottle with the top cut off instead of food wrap. that way the seedling can continue to grow without to wrap being in the way.

Correct ;)

this really depends on what type of light and reflector you are using. cfl's can be a lot closer than 24"

6. #6 zizou21, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    Cool man, some useful info!! repped :cool:

when you say "when the seedling pops", does that mean that when it reaches the surface?

So keep the coco moist w/ tap water (ph'd to 5.8) until the second set of leaves shows up, then start feeding it according to what it says on the CANNA calculator. That is handy tool btw!! Are you using the "Normal feeding" schedule type?

It asks me what my tank size is. Is this the pot I am growing in? Or the container that I will mix my nutrient solution in?

If I am growing 2 plants in 3 gallon pots, Do you think 1 gallon of solution will be enough for both of them? (Complete guess)

Benderbob: I'll be using 250W MH and HPS. Is 24" distance OK?

7. #7 Azzazal, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    Yes :0), sorry, When the seedling pops from the coco, it will hit the food wrap or be just below it, in a day max. It is then I remove the film and allow light to flood. Bear in mind my hps was 250 at the time and 24 inch away.So long as the coco is moist and has some calculator applied, it will do well.
    My attempt at growing has involved bagseed, 2 different types of plants and all are healthy. This is telling me, it's not Azza, its them nuetrients!
    I use the Light feed schedule for my plants. I only type in my res size details in the calculator and set it to the water type, No ec etc taken.

Followed it to the letter and It really didn't let me down. Erm, well ok no Canna Boost used...

As for my cling film, it was what I had to hand at the time. :eek: My family doesnt drink carbonated and we try to stick to glass bottles. :hide:

I will be the first one to run onto the forums when I get a problem, So far it has all been great!