Noob pH question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ghetto Z, May 21, 2020.

1. Hey guys, I am a first time grower, I have built myself a space tote during lockdown and have planted some bag seed from some nice buds into a mixture of a cheap Wilco multi purpose compost with about 30% perlite. They seem to be doing well so far. I have done no ph adjustment up to this point. I have just bought myself a ph tester and checked my tapwater which was at 7.58. I tested the water I had let sit for a few days before I water and was reading 8.06. I am currently waiting to receive my ph down so watered with this and the runoff is reading about 6.25 which I gather is about perfect. Should I continue to water as I am or should I drop the ph of the water and I’m assuming raise the ph of the soil somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. Get some organic lemons and you can add some lemon juice to your water to lower the pH
    Also might wanna look into real soil or a different coco at least. The one I saw come up under that name has slow release ferts and that could be a problem later in the future. Wouldn’t add any more nutrients for a little because that would risk burning them

3. As I was, which compost mix is it
    I’m seeing different ones under multi purpose compost

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have added a picture below. They are still in small pots at the moment, should I continue with this or change medium when I pot up?

5. Maybe that soil pH balances itself. Soil makers are doing that now. I am a pH ppm but. So it's odd that u are getting those readings. I do slurries just about evertime I water or feed. I bought a soil pH meter also and it helps me tremendously. If u keep ur weed in the zone. Where the oh stays right and ur plants have feed when u check. If u slurry and find 200-500 ppm's each time. Than u know they are in the zone. So say u see 100 than u need to feed until that goes up. Maybe double feed. I've do e that for 19 straight days lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. If in soil do a slurry test. Take a large shot glass of soil. Dig down a little. Than put that into a Tupperware small container. Than put the equal amount of distilled water. Stir for 1 minute and than stick ur ph meter than ur ppm meter. This will show u what's going on! So if ppms are over 400 u just need water and microbes if u use them. Under 400 ppm feed

7. Yup looks like you got some sort of slow release ferts in there. I would stick to pH water only for a month/ month and a half or so, just to be sure and to avoid burning them. Unless they start showing signs of being underfed, you may be able to get by with that. But I would definitely look into a different soil when you decide to flip to flower. That’s the main problem with slow release ferts in potting soil. Once they start flowering you won’t have much control over what nutrients they get and when

8. your soil reads it only feed 5 to 6 weeks photos veg for two months or 8 weeks so you should be out of feed in soil if watered and flushed correctly. I use ocean forest which feeds 4 to 6 weeks. I will run into slight nute burn, however it will work its self out over that time period or you can do like me and flush once you have a strong root system. I actually start in happy frog then transplant into ocean forest to keep from getting the nute burn. I didn't have happy frog for my last grow so I did revert back to starting with ocean forest. luckily for you it adjusted ph that upper 7 lower 8 reading may have locked you roots up other wise. I like using soil released ferts it saves on nutrients as I don't have to start feeding until mid veg. checking runoff ppm will help you determine when you need to start feeding or if you need to flush to prevent nute burn. first half of veg 300ppm-400ppm second half of veg 450ppm-700ppm first half of flower 750ppm-950ppm second half of flower 1,000ppm-1,600ppm then about 2 weeks before harvest flush and back to clean 0ppm water for the rest of the cycle.

9. Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I’m going to need to order myself a Ppm tester too lol. I have ordered myself some ionic bloom for soil for flowering and have some liquid seaweed. Any suggestions for a decent medium to pot up that might be available from Wilco or BandQ or somewhere Like that? Can order online if better and advice on anything else to feed with it in veg? Many thanks