Noob needs some help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Devilslilsister, Oct 30, 2009.

1. So there is a drought going on currently where i live :(. Because of this I decided to play around with some bag seeds and see if i could get anything to grow. I did the paper towel trick that a friend showed me and it worked i have four little seedlings now. They are in party cups that are half filled with soil. They are only about a week old. I have been giving them a couple hours of light a day and watering them lots. I only want to grow one plant and I am unsure how to tell if the plant is male or female. Can any one help with this?? is it just too early to tell and if it is when will I be able to tell?? I have a very small space. the height is 2ft, width 2.5ft, and depth is 1.5ft. Is this enough room for one plant and one light?? Also what type of light should i be using i have read some posts on here and dont really understand the abbervations? This is obviously my first time growing and all the help I can get would help.

2. hey, its too early to tell sex & sometimes they wont show sex untill you put them into flower, but they usually show sex at about 3-4 weeks into veg or when mature, also still be carefull not to overwater, the soil only needs to be moist & the plants like it to dry out a good amount between waterings

when it comes to lighting the most popular 2 are CFL's & HID light(this includes HPS/MH)

i put some of the meanings below for ya dude
    CFL = "Compact Fluorescent Lamps (these are basically energy sving bulbs)
    HID = High Intensity Discharge
    HPS = High Pressure Sodium(this is a type of HID lighting)
    MH = Metal Halide(this is also a type of HID lighting)

one thing to remember is the HID lighting runs MUCH hotter than CFL's, also HID bulbs cant be put into normal sockets they need something called a 'ballast' to run them

3. Mills69, thanks for the lighting defs. they helped out a lot. And I will lay off the watering for sure now.

One more question how do I know when my plants are ready for the flowering state? Also about the male/female I know males will have like a yellowish pollen is there anyother way to tell the two apart?

4. well really their ready to flower when ever you want, most people like to veg for about 3-4 weeks then flower but its the choise of the grower, just bear in mind they will typically double in size when you flower them maybe more

5. Thanks for your help hopefully i dont totally screw this up and i can post a pics and get something out of this grow.