Noob Needs Help

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by shadowblack, Aug 15, 2014.

1. I have a aquabuckets 4 site system by Hydro West 600 Watt hps lights. My question is do I really need to change the water every week. I had a small problem with slime but put a five hundred gallon aquarium filter in reservoir and no problem. No smell no slime. Also almost to flowering stage is it to late to top or use lst. There is no way to just change reservoir water and don't see the point when everything is fine. Help and suggestions please.
    Thanks
    also could anyone refer me to a simple article on cloning. I planned on trying blue dream because of the medical properties but got a freebee of green love potion and would like to keep it going for awhile.

2. hi what's shakin?  How's things goin?...things look pretty slow in the aero section.

Part of the reason to change the rez is to refresh the nutes....if there's no slime or smell and the plants look good then you can delay a bit on a rez change. I'm not familiar with the system..is there a water pump or just air pumps?

A simple bubble cloner like this works great..   

.I personally clone in coco like this.  I clone like I do because it's easiest for me. You might have better luck with a different method...cloning is weird like that. :)

3. #3 shadowblack, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    There is a air and water pump. I also added a a large aquarium filter. Keeps the water pretty and clear. I am having some problems now 2 weeks into flower. Plants not looking good. Have no idea how to flush this thing.
    Thanks for replying and nice to meet you.

4. I t-bag newbs all the time and videotape it to put on youtube

5. #5 Bongsauce, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    oh ok...I took a look at what the system looks like..I guess the water pump just topdrips? Is there one water pump that recirulates the water or pumps in each bucket that topdrip?

What kind of problems are you having? Slime? First place slime starts will probably be on the waterpump. Even the slight amount of heat that the pump creates will start the slime...then it spreads. Even if overall water temps stay cool the pump itself will start the slime. I don't know if that's a problem for you...but the best way to fix that is with a 1 minute on/5miuntes off timer...or something similar...that way the pumps aren't on 24/7.

Make sure there's good airflow under the airpumps...and it's good to have them sitting above water level in the buckets. If they're on the floor, the power can go out and they can actually create a backwards siphon and drain your buckets onto the floor. Another place slime can start is on the airstones...this is from the airpumps not getting enough fresh air..which causes the airpumps to  be pumping warmed air rather then room temp. This is why I suggested making sure there is good airflow under your airpumps..or wherever the air intake is on them.

easiest way to flush might be to get another set of 4 buckets and use them hold your plants while you change everything out. Or if everything is plumbed through the lids of your buckets (airline, waterpump cord) then you can just ge 4 fresh buckets of nutes ready and transfer the lids over. Know what  mean? 

If that's not an option, get an extra water pump and put a couple feet of tubing on it. Then pump all your nutes out...add a bunch of fresh water, and repump them out again.

sorry I didn't respond sooner, I forgot to 'follow' this thread. I'm still used to it auto following when I comment in one.

6. Thanks for the help. I'm not having any major problems at this point after I added the aquarium filter. Just that the instructions and every site I have read says change every two weeks . So being a noob I worry. By the way there is no top feeding at all the water pump is intended just to circulate nutes or ph within the system. I took out the chappy pump that came with it and put in a old fountain pump I had so I can run as long as I want. I have very bad health problems and trying to do this for medical. Want off the pills from the doc. Makes changing 50 gallons of water every two weeks 'suggested' very hard.
    Thanks so much.

7. maybe a water pump and a garden hose to the sink/bathtub would be easier. :) .. no heavy lifting. In my old aero setup I had an extra valve connected to the waterpump on a splitter with 2 feet of hose connected to the valve. So when it was time to change nutes I'd just turn that valve and the nutes would pour out the hose into a bucket.

I've run a  system with 45 gallons so I know how that goes...You can top it off a few times before the balance of nutes gets all out of whack. A ppm/tds meter helps alot with that.

I'm happy to help ...if you need anything just ask...I'll help with what I can :)

8. #8 greenhousedude, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Cloning is pretty simple if your using aeroponics, if you have a bucket with lid, some 2" net pots and an air stone and aquarium pump you have the means to clone, cut holes for the net pots in the lid, cut the bottems off the nets, put it all together fill it up so the water will touch the stems of the clones (usually to the bottoms of the net pots) and add light and wait.

As for res changing you just need to block all light through the res if you have slime.

Check this page out http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1198022-How-To-Determine-Your-Plant's-Preferred-Nutrient-Strength

This covers a lot of those questions like when to change and what is needed to keep the plants happy, as well as how to maintain a good balance of your nutrients.

9. I hate changing rez. Buckets so I have adapted to smaller buckets usually by the end of the week I can just fill up with about a gallon of fresh nutes and water and keep on trucking

10. Ok so I need all the help I can get. I am 30 and decided I want to try something different if you get my drift. So yesterday I received my grow tent and my aerogarden. I have placed the aerogarden inside the tent which I must say its getting crazy light I placed a bowl of water to try and increase the humidity cause it's now reading 16% and a temperature of 80 degrees I plan on getting a small fan with I think will lower the temp a bit. I also would like to sit the aerogarden on top of something because I understand cold air tends to drift but. I would prefer any advice. I'm new to this set up so a direct message would be fine. Thanks a lot

Sent with Peace & Love