noob in need of guidance

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lar20, Jul 6, 2010.

1. well hello everybody! ive finally decided that its time for me to start growing my own herb. i need some advice on a cheap,stealthy set up for a closet grow (plan to only do 1 plant at a time). would somebody be so kind as to post supplies (lights,soils,nutes,ect.) ill need and id like to keep the whole set up under 200$. id also like to know a cheap way to eliminate the smell because the people im living with wouldnt be extreamly happy to have the house smelling like a plant all the time. im also trying to have the grow be as organic as possible so if you have reccomendations on soils and nutes then thatd be great.

2. Hey. I would recommend a closet grow with CFLs. You can get many small ones or just one or two bigger ones. They don not need a ballast, and does not emit as much heat as a HID. You have to have two bulbs though, one for veg and another for flowering.

As for smell, there's a few solutions, but if you're going organic, you should know that organic nutes and ferts always smell like shit. We can get back to odor-control later... This is an option: Conair AROMATHERAPY AIR REVITALIZER Freshener Electric - eBay (item 370331623839 end time Jul-06-10 10:47:42 PDT)

As for nutes, I use the Canna Terra line. There are other good ones too, like advanced nutrients. With Canna you can choose organic or non-organic, and they also offer soil and hydro mediums. I use their Canna Terra Pro soil (I've said this so many times now, I feel like I'm advertising). I've heard that the Fox Farm soil is good too. But stay away from Miracle Grow!

You'll need a Ph-meter and a hygrometer (temp & humidity) also.

Somehow you will have to ventilate the closet/grow-space. This you'll have to think about, and find the best solution for your setup. If you say some more about your grow-space and plans, I can give you some more advice on that one...

3. Would be interesting to see how this pans out. I grow outdoors so i know shit all about lights and all but please keep this updated if you really do set up a closet grow for under $200, i'd be interested to know what you bought.

Peace

4. #4 lar20, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
    thanks for the help. right now ventilation is mostly what im concerned (and confused lol) about. i live in an apartment and the closet is about 4x4x10 more or less. as for lights i have most of that figured out and i already have a couple soft white bulbs just need to pick up some daylight bulbs and fixtures. and also like i said im pretty lost as far as nutes go and when exactly i should use what. ive read guides that say use a certain amount of nutes for say vegging and then ive read other guides that say the complete opposite and i have a feeling that if i did screw up my grow it would be because i messed up with the nutes.

5. #5 GrowMoe, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
    Yeah, well I can only speak from experience and I've had great success with the Canna Terra line. They have many products but they have mainly one for veg and another for flowering. In addition they also have addatives like PK 13/14, accelerator boost, Rhizotonic, CANNA Start, CANNA Flush, and more. These are not necessary, so you get along way with only the Terra Vega and Terra Flores. With good soil, you don't need to feed nutes the first 3-4 weeks. Then you start with Terra Vega, and when you switch to 12/12, you also switch to Terra Flores. The last week or so, you flush with water only.

If you do this, I bet you'll get good results. Remember to strat with a low dose, like half strength, and work your way up to full dose, and do not feed nutes with every watering. I feed approx. every other watering.

In addition to this I always recommend to use molasses. MJ loves molasses, and uses it for sugar-production (or something). I use it when I don't add nutes to the water. It will lower your PH though. I use like 2 Tbs per 10 L (ish). Also, it's a real hassle to try to stirr the molasses straight into the water. What I find to be easiest, is to mix the molasses with a glass of hot water first, and then just mix the hot molasses-water in with the rest.

6. Don't forget emergency blankets are cheap at wal mart. 3 or 4 of them will coat all your walls on the inside making the light work.