Noob here. Got a couple questions

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Nicky122, Sep 22, 2010.

1. OK a little background first. I began germinating on 09/16. I planted first 3 seeds 09/18, 3 more 09/20, and one more this morning. I planted all seeds root up in Peat pucks in a little disposible greenhouse thingy that came with the peat pucks. They will be grown indoors in soil.

Ok my first question is about lighting. I have them under 2 fluorescent lights right now. One is a small 13 watt and the other is about 4 ft with two 40 watt bulbs. So my question is, do they need the light right now? and if so for how many hours per day?

Now my next question is about da roots. Some of the roots are curling above the soil but the seed still hasent sprouted through yet. Did I do something wrong? Could it be that I didnt plant them deep enough? Is this gonna cause problems? Thanx is advance[​IMG]

**I have a few pix to show wat Im talking bout with da roots

Attached Files:

2. i dont know why you planted them root up but that is wrong. they need to be root down. and it looks like a little deeper than what you have them. and yes it will cause a problem if you dont flip them around they will die. and keep the lights one for at least 18 hours a day

3. I was told by someone to plant them root up because the root has to curl and push the seed through the soil.

UPDATE: I woke up this morning to da first leaves on a couple ;)

4. you def do NOT plant germinated seeds taproot up. and the general rule of thumb for the depth of planting is you plant them about 1/4 inch deep. because the seeds have limited energy to push up, and if theyre too deep - they'll run out of energy before they break through the surface.

and 24 hours of light when they are that young is stupid, give them a night cycle rest