None of my clones are rooting 2 weeks in.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by CanadianBaconBit, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Hi guys, This is my second about to be failed attempt cloning. I build a little green house to keep humidity high and have been removing it 2 times a day after the 1st week. Lights at 24/7 and it has a heat mat. I ripped open 2 pods to see if there was roots and not a single one, I used root powder for the cuts.

I can get seeds to pop in 3 days but just can't get this cloning thing right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Too much light and make sure no nutrients going in.
    I'd try gel not powder as well.

3. How wet are you keeping those peat pucks? It looks a bit too wet in the photo, should be just moist, but not so wet that water drips if you squeeze it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. make em little trees

soft light warm 25c is good

close lid first 24 hours remove incremently

if not up in 10 days restart ...

better to make a bubbler is fun

Lets Build a Clone Machine *Step by Step*

good luck

.ps did I say fun

5. Remove the heat mat imo. Too much heat removes oxygen and these aren't seedlings. I do everything similar to you minus the heat mat and have great success.

You could try mixing your own starter soil, peat moss, Perlite and a light amount (very light) of worm castings is what I use for cloning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. The mat drys the pucks out too fast. Leave them in the tent if you can, or a warmer room.
    You seem to leave quite abit of leaf too. apparently leaving 3 leaves is the ideal number, without cutting half off.
    Also do you cut your stems at 90 degrees instead of straight? Also clonex or aloe?
    Also the leaves are dry. they should be kept as close to 100% humidity as possible then slowly open the vent.
    GL

7. [​IMG]
    A thumbs worth of the fan and 3 inches of stem is how I clone.
    [​IMG]
    A dip of the lower stem in cloning gel
    [​IMG]

Domes off for the photo.
    Heat mats under both with thermostat control and probe.
    Skin temps. 90 F or thereabouts.
    3 weeks on average to get the first roots. A very few will strike at 2 weeks And a few need 4 weeks or more.
    100% humidity for the first 1-2 weeks then drop slightly by opening the done vents.
    I get about a 90% success rate.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  8. The scientists are on our side now, let them do the studies for us..

Dr Deron caplan is a Director of Plant Science and he has done it for us.

here’s a podcast with lots of up to date info.
    Cannabis Cultivation and Science Podcast Episode 57

here the link to everything
    (PDF) Vegetative propagation of cannabis by stem cuttings: Effects of leaf number, cutting position, rooting hormone, and leaf tip removal

and here’s a little copy and paste cause I know most wont actually bother to look for them selves..

This study evaluated the influence of several factors and their interactive effects on the propagation success of stem cuttings of cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.). Factors included (i) leafnumber(twoorthree),(ii) leaftip removal (one-third of leaf tips removed), (iii) basal/apical position of stem cutting on the stock plant, and (iv) rooting hormone [0.2% indole-3-butyric (IBA) acid gel or 0.2% willow (Salix alba L.) extract gel]. Cuttings were placed in a growth chamber for twelve days and then assessed on their rooting success rate and root quality using a relative root quality scale. The IBA gel delivered a 2.1× higher rooting success rate and 1.6× higher root quality than the willow extract. Removing leaf tips reduced rooting success rate from 71% to 53% without influencing root quality. Cuttings with three leaves had 15% higher root quality compared with those with two, but leaf number did not influence rooting success rate. Position of cutting had little effect on rooting success or quality. To achieve maximum rooting success and root quality, cuttings from either apical or basal positions should have at least three fully expanded uncut leaves and the tested IBA rooting hormone is preferred to the willow-based product.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Thanks for that - I’ll definitely run a test of this on the next run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ditch the peat pellets. I had cuts in em for 2wks and only thing i had was dead cuts. I stick to rapid rooters, i think they hold air and water alot better. After one week in peat pellets i took 3 more cuts and put em in rapid rooters. Its been 10 days and im waiting on last cut to root.