Non-urban overnight self contained vehicle parking

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by hardrokker, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Historically many older weed users enjoyed consuming beyond urban areas at our natural scenic areas because those areas had places out of sight, away from possible enforcement, thus free, and best were very enjoyable and inspiring places to get high on weed.

Today many of our current scenic, leisure activity, and popular tourist regions are only visitable by staying overnight in expensive lodging often over $100 a night. In some of those regions, one can find public parks to camp at but in this era overnight fees have risen up to $25 to $50 if one can even find a site that is not full especially on weekends.

As a young person decades ago it was not like this. Anyone could park along highways most anywhere, even on city streets, and sleep within vehicles. There were no vagrancy laws. Surfers happily did that for many years as did ski bums that would park overnight in ski resort parking lots. But then in the late 60s the van lifestyle appeared followed quickly by RV's that began to abuse such causing universal vagrancy, no parking, and other such laws that were often pushed not surprisingly by local tourist lodging industries keen to squeeze bucks out of everyone.

What many regions could use today are places motorists can park overnight for a reasonable fee of say $10 to $20 where one cannot pitch tents or set out usual furniture like chairs and tables. Those wanting to pitch tents can use campgrounds while there are many others that have self contained vehicles. The money would pay for restroom maintenance, water faucets, RV dump stations, trash pick-up, grounds clean-up on the same model as some states have now along major highways with roadside rests. I'm not suggesting these places be locations to smoke weed at but rather have importance to we more frugal enthusiasts allowing visitation without being needlessly expensive.

2. I'd honestly love a nice place out in the wilderness to go and visit, smoke some weed and enjoy nature in while camping in a van.

3. Not an issue.....lol city folk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Look up BLM land. They're free to sleep at. No amenities, a few campers and RVs.

Need a fire permit, but they're free if you have a printer.

5. The thing about being in a place where there is no police presence or minimally even, is that other people are aware of it and may take the opportunity to rob you or worse. Vagrants are labeled as such, because they have no way to make an income or make a minimal income and thus, have to resort to extreme measures to obtain an income, this is why those laws exist.

My old baby sitter used to be on Neighborhood Watch and she was the biggest thief of them all, her garage was chalk full of other peoples shit and nobody batted an eye or even cared to look. I remember we had to help her set up a garage sale one time, because the neighbors were on vacation and she was literally walking back and fourth between her yard and theirs, selling all their shit, it was ridiculous.

6. This isn't a thing in the US?

It's a big thing in Australia. Especially on the east coast, there are a string of free or small-fee camping and rest areas for the use of travellers. Some are basic, with minimal-to-no facilities, though most of them have toilets. Some even offer the use of showers and potable water.

7. Here in the states we have rest areas to stop at that have parking, toilets and sometimes showers, vending machines and usually a small park so you can walk and stretch/exercise your animals.

We also have loads of RV parks usually just off the highway a few miles.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. Can you spend the night at the free rest areas? Oz has heaps of RV parks, but they can get expensive.

I think the vast distances between populated places is what spurred the encouragement of stopping to refresh along the road here, and it's very much evolved into a whole culture. There are also rest areas along major roads that are run by organizations like the Lion's Club and offer free coffee - Driver Revivers.

9. In Canada (mostly the west) any crown land is free to camp for upto 2 weeks. After 2 weeks move your RV 10ft and continue.

Sent from my SM-A205W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Actually its 3 weeks but you also MUST be a Canadian Citizen.

11. Thought it was 2weeks damn could have stayed at some cool fishing spots longer

Sent from my SM-A205W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. It is unfortunate that if one chooses to go somewhere on this planet we're all apart of, another person will bring them harm unless paid money not too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Yeah free rest areas. Usually they're spaced like every 50-100 miles on major highways.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. In BC, people are allowed to camp overnight in public parks. You just have to pack up and get moving in the morning. You cant setup camp for the day.

As for cars, doesn't Walmart let you sleep in their lots? I know they do for RV's, I assume cars would be the same. :confused_2:

15. As long as you can get there. Logging companies are gating the backroads all over the place these days. I thought the NDP were gonna bring forward an "access the backcountry" law.

16. #16 mariopepper, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Yeat that's true but not for me. Unfortunately I used to live in the big city and it's hard to go somewhere away just for smoking.. So I prefer renting parking place somewhere inside the city. If I need it I check and choose parking place for my car somewhere I feel myself comfortable.

17. I dont believe this is the case at all.