Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Non-Official* HOW TO MAKE CANNA-OIL, STEP BY STEP

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by dopereppin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. #1 dopereppin, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
    Here's the most straight forward method I've found for making cannaoil. I've used it dozens of times and it's never failed. Start with a 9 or 10 inch saucepan or small stove-pot and an equal cup to ounce ratio of oil to maryjane. (1/2 oz ground or abv bud to 1/2 cup canola/vege oil) Make sure the material is ground but not powdered, you want to expose the maximum surface area to the oil. Heat the oil over very low heat ( 180 - 200 F ) The determining factor being that you don't want the oil to boil. Keep the heat to the point where tiny bubbles occasionally rise to the surface but most of the mix stays clear. Also, occasionally tilt the saucepan/stovepot at a slight angle and continue mixing, this helps mix everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let this mix cook for at least 2 hours (some people go a lot longer but I never noticed much difference past 4 hours) stirring or shaking the pan every half hour or so. If time is a problem, try going for no less than a hour.

[​IMG]

WARNING: There is a fair amount of odor involved, a kitchen vent is not enough to clear the smell, take the usual precautions

Next, I use a cheesecloth bag and suspend it about half way down in a large measuring cup and pour the hot mixture the bag using a good rubber spatula/wooden spoon to scrape all the oil out of the pan. Wait until the mix cools enough to handle and squeeze the hell out of the bag to get every last drop of oil out. You can also use a coffee filter instead of using a cheesecloth bag for filteration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recommended Brownie Mixes:
    - Ghiradelli Double-Chocolate Brownie Mix
    -Dunken Hines Brownie Mixes (Your Choice)
    -Not a big fan of Pillsbury or Betty Crocker

FAQ:
    What kind of maryjane can I use for Canna-Oil?
    - You can use anything from stems, leaves, trimmings, keif, ground-up bud, hash, you get the point, right?

What is better Canna-Butter or Canna-Oil?
    -THC is fat soluble, therefore whichever substance is higher in (the right kind of) fat will be more effective. Stuff high in saturated fat is great indeed.

Do olive oil and vegetable oil work the same?
    - Oil is Oil. There are slight variations in the THC absorption rate, but so what?
    And Olive oil is Vegetable oil.

When you grind up the maryjane and put it in the oil, how long should I let it sit? What percentage of cannabinoids will be extracted after 2 days? 5?
    2 days will Extract almost all of the THC and Cannabinoids.
    If you want 100%, just let it soak a Month or two.

When making CannaButter, I thought one of the things heating it does was "activate" the cannabinoids. Won't this not happen if I just letting CannaOil sit without heat?You don't need heat to "activate" cannabiniods, heat only speeds the process of extraction and is not actually responsible for the transfer itself, therefore your cannabiniods will be extracted into the oil as it sits for a week or three at room temperature.

Note on Potency: Using mid quality maryjane or HQ trimmings for the process, this half a cup of oil used in a Dunkin Hines brownie mix will yield roughly 20 brownies. One of these should put you in low earth orbit for 4 or 5 hours. You can also bottle the stuff and take it a teaspoon at a time. Experiment to find your ideal parameters but wait at least 1 1/2 hours after first ingesting to bump it up.....too much and you'll just go to sleep.

Note on Color: I've used different oils and different maryjane and had final oil color that ranged from mid emerald to a green so dark as to be black and never noticed any correlation between potency and color.

Personal Note: This is not the only process in making Canna-Oil, you can experiemnt with other methods such as Crock-pots, Canna-Butter, over leaving it over time. However, this method is very simple, user-friendly, spacey and delicious! :smoking:

2. Great how to! +rep I just put some olive oil down for a month. Baked the weed first then put in olive oil.

3. #4 GoliathToker79, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Alrite so after I do this for two hours I use filter it through a cheesecloth and after that put in the fridge wait for 2 days??

Question say if you have a frialator could you put the cannaoil in it to cook french fries,chicken,fish and fry those foods or would it kill the thc by frying it. If anyone knows anything about that it would be great.

:rolleyes:If so that would be my plan because those foods are already sooo good.

4. I think your mixing up the "letting it sit over time" method and making Canna-Oil using the heat method. You don't need to let it sit any longer than the minutes it takes to cool down a bit. After filteration it's ready to go! Sorry for the mix-up.

5. #6 GoliathToker79, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

o ok thank you i got ya now. using high end dank so how much oil for 5-7 grams??

any idea on my other question can you use cannaoil to fry your favorite fried foods or will frying kill the thc if not that would be great.

6. Tried to research deep frying for you, couldn't find much.

7. #8 GoliathToker79, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

frying doesn't sound good maybe just cook on the pan with oil that might work too. something tells me it would fry the thc thanks though. 5-7 grams for a half cup or full cup oil with high end headies sound about right? baking foods is the safest bet im sure recently when i had hash i just used put it in the brownie recipe. If i could do both oil and just put the hash in it that would make some unreal potent brownies. Just with 4 grams of hash simply mixed in with got me pretty glazed for a few days without smoking.

8. You want to try to keep the maryjane/oil ratio in the same range, so if possible try to throw in a little bit more bud, but if you plan on replacing 1/2 with hash, let us know of your results :wave:

9. awesome thread man! :smoke: cannot wait to try this once i save up enough abv buds. So should i still use the same ration of 1oz to a cup for abv buds? i read that some people will put as much as 30 grams of abv per stick of butter when making cannibutter so i was wondering if the same applied here.

10. yeah deep fryers cook at 350-400 degrees i think that would just burn the THC in the oil and you would need a lot of oil to fill the fryer. it may work, just not gunna find me making enough oil to ever try it

11. Yeah you have the right idea and as far as the butter reference, the more the merrier, its like you can never have too fat of blunt or too big of bowl :p

12. Updated/edited FAQ portion.

13. how much odor is involved in the process compared to smoking? i live in an apartment building and i'm a bit hesitant since there's a fair amount of foot traffic in the hall. i plan on cooking a bunch of non-thc food the day i try this, hopefully it'll disguise the smell somewhat.

14. The odor has a very peculiar smell to it and depending on the size of your apartment, I would say that it will stink up your entire place if the doors are not closed and proper venting is in use. But if you were to cook something like steak or other foods, i'm sure it could cover the smell very well.

15. just a tip, you dont need to wait 2 hours for "extraction"..I usually do maybe 20-30minutes tops.

16. It doesn't say you have to wait the full 2 hour extraction, it is only recommended, just like any other recipe. Yes, you will have your outcome but I say mine is just a tad more potent :rolleyes:

17. You cant say yours are more potent when you have never tried my brownies. But, extraction isnt a known thing but you can just tell when the oil turns that tree bark brown and it gets the musky weed smell heavy.

I am pretty experienced with brownies and edibles because my cousin used to work at a coffee shop in Amsterdam when he was studying abroad. He brought back all this knowledge and it's been a blast ever since!:smoking:

18. #19 dopereppin, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    So what your telling me is that there is no relative difference between letting the mixture simmer on low between 30 minutes and 2 hours, and maximum effectiveness has no change? Do you have facts to prove this? I experimented and noticed no difference after 4 hours, but noticed quite a big difference between 1/2 hour and 2 hours and my control variable stayed the same in both trials..

"Let this mix cook for at least 2 hours (some people go a lot longer but I never noticed much difference past 4 hours) stirring or shaking the pan every half hour or so. If time is a problem, try going for no less than a hour."

I also have years experience and collectively put together this recipe after trying tens of difference variations in recipe, this was the most simple, effective, and user-friendly method for the occasional smoker.