Nodes too tight? Plants too stunted?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stick_Figure_420, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Howdy folks,

Wondering if these nodes are too tight and if these plants are too stunted. Nodes seem to be right on top of each other. Plants are four weeks old mostly indicas and hybrids. in a mix of organic peat and organic soil with some added perlite. the tallest is about five or so inches (13 cm), shortest about 2.5 inches (6cm). Seems stunted but were transplanted at two weeks into individual containers. 6500k total 86 watt cfl. 6000 lumen. The first two weeks under two 23 watt led which gave off mostly red light. Then switched to the cfl at about 60 watt 4200 lumen for a week or so before the current setup. The first 2 weeks or so the the light schedule was variable. A few days they got 24. Now on regular 18.6. Temp was variable and a bit hot the first several weeks with some direct sun even leading to a couple wilting but for at least one week they are between 70 - 78 farenheit / 22 - 26 celcius. Minimum 60% humidity. Considering to buy big tent or two smaller tents and different and stronger lights. Fed spring water every three or four days but it is about 8.0 pH. Plan to get pH adjuster and/or mix the spring water with deionized water. Tap water is very hard. One of the pots had fungus gnats. When water is added to that pot they still seem to pop up out of the soil. None seen elsewhere. Appreciate any advice and insights.
    20190809_013237.jpg 20190809_005751.jpg 20190809_013307.jpg 20190809_013324.jpg

2. I would not worry about the node spacing as it seems ok so far.
    Your ph is a bit high for soil and me being a hydro guy find this to be a very important step to maintain. Rain water ph could be perfect for soil depending your location and much better i
    until you have a ph meter.
    Soon though you will end up with deficiencies or lack of growth but they are young yet.

If the gnats are in that stunted plant I bet that is your culprit. They are brutal on young plants.
    Also if you have gnats in one I would bet you have them in another. Buy a box of yellow sticky traps and lay them about to give you better indicators as well help control the adults.
    H202 works good on the larvae but may take a couple spaced applications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks for the advice but no rain here. Just plenty of brutal sun and high winds. Eventually the rains will come though. Was thinking to get ph strips for the water but a meter for the soil is probably a good call. Thanks for the idea. How is the hydrogen peroxide applied, in to the soil? read ground cinnamon sprinkled on top of the tilled soil supposedly somehow kills them. Thanks again for the tips!

4. Yeah ph strips for water are cheap and would work. You can also get a ph water meter.
    I believe the soil application is same as hydro. 3% h202 @ one part h202 and four parts water, once a week.
    The h202 will neutralize your soil killing some beneficial micros but still better than gnats.

5. #5 Talkative, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    The first two weeks is a turtle race if you are trying to beat some picture. 6500k produces very tight nodes. Tight nodes produce a compressed plant which then does not require excessive penetration of the light. Loose nodes produce a plant where the top is a long long way from the bottom, and that is why something like hps would be needed to shine it's light very far. The difference between a fast seedling and a slow seedling is almost unnoticable later in life and pushing a seedling is like pushing a baby to eat faster.
    Even if you go horizontal, tight nodes are the most efficient use of space. Stem space is mostly wasted space.
    I lost two seedling at less than two weeks due to pests, so now I just routinely add a little good smelling pest control to all water. I use Captain Jacks, anything with spinosad for me, it already has a wetting agent in case you need to foliar, but I just keep it in trace amounts in the water and it kind of permeates everything. Smells good. The old good smelling stuff was outlawed by the confused Californians.

6. Get some sand and layer it on about an inch. Helps to reduce pests by keeping them out of the soil and it cuts them up when they try to come out threw it.

7. Thanks so much guys for the tips. Tight seems better then the plants being all stretched out. Feel like more light is needed though. Especially for when they start to get bigger. Definitely can get some sand because the beach is not far. never thought to put sand on top of the soil. A few of my smaller pots do not have an inch clearance but luckily they do not have the gnats. Unfortunately i can not procure any captain jack product. i think i will try the sand firstly just on the one gnatty pot and see how it grows. Thanks again everybody

8. #8 Stick_Figure_420, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Went down by the water but the sand is like the water, full of junk. Will have to procure some elsewhere. The seaweed wasn't looking that great either. May still try to collect a little bit of it though.